Spoons on the Waverley

millerhillboy

I know we've got a thread about peaks on the route so I'm hoping its OK to have a thread on class 47s on the route.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the new Farish class 47, to replace my version of D1970 based on the old Farish model, long since set sail to the Bay of E.

I know there was a bunch of duffs delivered new to 64B including D1970.

So a couple of questions

• Were these 64B jobs real regulars on the WR from their delivery in late 65 I believe it was.
  • What were the exact batch numbers
  • What livery would they have been delivered in, in particular the front warning panel, i.e full or half? and the roof colour.

Thanks in advance

CJ

Viva La Haymarket Nine!

My Best of Haymarket Diesels blog is your friend at this point:

http://www.rmweb.co....tandardization/

This details much of what you need about the 64B Nine, aka D1968-1976. These were all delivered in GSYP, and by the time of the Route's closure there's evidence to suggest that GFYE had been applied to a few, albeit these may have been playing away, loaned or reallocated to 52A. 1968-70/72/3 carried GFYE livery. 1968/74/6 were the trio that weren't reallox away from 64B during the Waverley's remaining lifespan.

They crop up with resonable regularity in the photo archive, and certain of the nine are credited with hauling particular excursions and last-ofs. I do mention in the blog that their WR heyday was Q4/65 - Q2/68, and after May '68 their transfer away from 64B began.

• 3 weeks later...

So after my old long in the tooth (old Farish) version of D1970 as seen posted on here, I pulled the trigger on the rather spendid and significantly more accurate new model from Bachamnn Farish.

So in its out the box form its numbered as d1745. So my question to the panel is, can I do a straightforward renumber over to one of the Haymarket 9!

One other peculiarity is that the model doesn't have a BR roundel on the bodyside, livery is GSYP with green roof.

As I'm adopting the mantle of being the bearer of bad news* (see Sc56317 on another thread, eh Matt!), I'll tell you straight mate.

No.

Like their OO counterparts in GSYP, BachFar have standardised for this release on the original 'tri-grille' configuration at the number 1 cooler group end. The 64B Nine were all of the later standard, twin Serck louvred grille configuration. In her present form, she would be ideal power for The Waverley as a Yorkshire loco in the last year or so of the line's existence, likewise a foreign freight loco in the period following the changes to through-working arrangements in 1967.

(I just had the same chagrin with my latest acquisition, D1572 being substituted somewhere along Barwell's production line for the expected, originally announced Serck loco that would've become D1970.)

* leavened with the use of colour, though

As I'm adopting the mantle of being the bearer of bad news* (see Sc56317 on another thread, eh Matt!), I'll tell you straight mate.

No.

Like their OO counterparts in GSYP, BachFar have standardised for this release on the original 'tri-grille' configuration at the number 1 cooler group end. The 64B Nine were all of the later standard, twin Serck louvred grille configuration. In her present form, she would be ideal power for The Waverley as a Yorkshire loco in the last year or so of the line's existence, likewise a foreign freight loco in the period following the changes to through-working arrangements in 1967.

(I just had the same chagrin with my latest acquisition, D1572 being substituted somewhere along Barwell's production line for the expected, originally announced Serck loco that would've become D1970.)

* leavened with the use of colour, though

:-) I won't be shooting the messenger

Thanks 'Chard, knew you'd be the man and at least you've put me on the right track (pardon the rail pun)...

• 1 month later...

Thanks Bill, that would have worked out ideal other than it fails my rather odd and probably unnecessary principle of not running anything with out the box numbers!!

I can understand that - just changing the last digit, D1741/2/3/6/7/8 would also have qualified. The list I have isn't specific about what workings they appeared on but I expect it would have been the car trains.

Seems to me there are these principal sources of Brush 4 traction over the route:

• Anything diagrammed for Haymarket power requiring steam heat - D1968-76 or other depots' kick-outs hanging around in Edinburgh
  • Class 4 freights - D1968-76 or anything loitering at Millerhill (plenty of choice there)
  • Class 1 expresses - any Yorkshire or Gateshead machine inter-operable with the local Peaks
  • Cartrains - any LMML hardware available at Ditton Jct for the Halewood traffic
  • West Coast diversions, Class 1 and parcels especially
  • Block workings - I'm unaware of any but I've seen mention (by David Spaven) of cement and petrochem, which would imply some Brush action

Nicely timed 'Chard, especially the reference to GD machines as I selected d1573 effe3ctively a 52a machine for most of its 1960s existance with a brief interlude to 64B as well, so seemed to tick all the boxes.

* all from the class47.co.uk website so hoping its accurate!

PS as seen in the WR models thread...page 6 ;)

Seems to me there are these principal sources of Brush 4 traction over the route:

• Block workings - I'm unaware of any but I've seen mention (by David Spaven) of cement and petrochem, which would imply some Brush action

There were certainly none in the final freight WTT but I saw a reference earlier this year (I think in the RCTS history of the 9Fs), while browsing in a Carlisle bookshop, to a regular Milford Haven to Thornton tanks. I forget exactly which year was mentioned but it must have been 1964/65. I assume the tanks were bound for the coal gasification plant at Westfield, possibly conveying LPG to augment the quantity of gas emanating from the plant? (I'm guessing here). Even if not regular in later years, there could still have been specials on an occasional basis.

There were certainly none in the final freight WTT but I saw a reference earlier this year (I think in the RCTS history of the 9Fs), while browsing in a Carlisle bookshop, to a regular Milford Haven to Thornton tanks. I forget exactly which year was mentioned but it must have been 1964/65. I assume the tanks were bound for the coal gasification plant at Westfield, possibly conveying LPG to augment the quantity of gas emanating from the plant? (I'm guessing here). Even if not regular in later years, there could still have been specials on an occasional basis.

That would tie in with a posting of mine on another thread:

http://www.rmweb.co....waverley-route/

On Saturday 12th November 1966 A4 60019 Bittern worked an enthusiasts' special from Leeds to Edinburgh ..... This particular Saturday was notable on the Waverley Route as not only did the A4 appear but also V2 60836 (62B), working a special down goods, was noted passing Longtown at about 16.00. 60836 had reached Carlisle from St. Rollox the previous evening [when it worked the evening St. Rollox - Milford Haven empty oil tanks].

I assume that would be the empties of the same working?

I tend to agree that would have been the same flow of traffic, albeit the destination (and the route, of course) in Scotland had changed. The workings still appear in 1969/70 and 1970/71 WTTs which I have, but with the origin/destination more precisely described as Herbrandston / Sighthill East. It was then running on a daily basis (including Sundays) as 6S33 northbound and 6V56 southbound. The final destination in Glasgow was almost certainly Provan Gasworks which still functions as a gas holding plant.

• 2 weeks later...

I know she's not going for WR metals on this occasion, but I've yet to see a better study of one of the Haymarket Nine in as-delivered condition, D1975 at the Citadel:

http://www.flickr.co...57608177268125/

Likewise this Brush Blue Type 4 on 11th February '67, D1956 in the guise that her ilk worked the route from new:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16236990@N08/2966620395/in/set-72157608177268125/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived