Stencil Speed Signs at a Temporary Speed Restriction

I use the Eckon pack of stencil speed signs and included are a C and T for the commencement and termination of a temporary speed restriction. Would the commencement C stencil have been used on its own at the start of the speed restriction, with the numbers painted in yellow as per a normal stencil speed sign, or would it have been used in some other way? For example, http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/3-sigs/gndsigs.htm says the C was slid into an oil lamp and was illuminated at night.

TSR signs were certainly illuminated back in the 70s, though by then a speed figure was used instead of "C". I recall seeing them in Scotland from 1978 onwards and failure of the illumination was one reason for the Nuneaton derailment in (I think) 1974. I don't know what TSR boards looked like in previous decades.

PSRs were never lit, except the "Morpeth board" distants. I presume the logic was that drivers would know from route knowledge where the permanent speed restrictions were but with the TSRs being more transitory so needed to be lit. Once all trains had proper headlights the present day-glo boards replaced the illuminated signs.

• RMweb Gold

TSR signs were certainly illuminated back in the 70s, though by then a speed figure was used instead of "C". I recall seeing them in Scotland from 1978 onwards and failure of the illumination was one reason for the Nuneaton derailment in (I think) 1974. I don't know what TSR boards looked like in previous decades.

PSRs were never lit, except the "Morpeth board" distants. I presume the logic was that drivers would know from route knowledge where the permanent speed restrictions were but with the TSRs being more transitory so needed to be lit. Once all trains had proper headlights the present day-glo boards replaced the illuminated signs.

C boards were certainly used (on the LM) into the 80s and possibly beyond - there will be a rule book change which will give a more exact date.

• RMweb Gold

C boards were certainly used (on the LM) into the 80s and possibly beyond - there will be a rule book change which will give a more exact date.

The Rule Book Supplement amendment (Supplement No.3) came into effect on 28 September 1968 (and as far as I can remember the actual alteration to displaying the speed instead of the letter 'C' at the commencement of the TRoS did not happen prior to the issue of the Supplement to the Rule Book).

Good job I didn't throw such things away isn't it B) .

Immediately prior to that change the speed was, of course, only shown at the 'arrow' warning board; the 'C' board was at the commencement of the restriction (black on white, back illuminated) and the 'T' board was at the end of the restriction (white on black, back illuminated). I posted details of some of the earlier methods - mainly GWR but including some national changes in the 1940s - somewhere back on RMWeb 3.

Stencil cutouts indicating the speed at PSRs were an LNER method which was adapted nationally at sometime in, I think, the 1950s. Originally the front of the numerals was painted white and I vaguely recollect the change to yellow was in the late 1960s but some white painted examples survived for years.

The change to 'road sign' type indicators for PSRs started in 1985 when they were introduced in connection with the re-opening of teh Snow Hill route and through working between the LM & Southern Regions - the idea being to make route learning easier.

Archived