Santa Barbara in N scale_ at the NMRABR 2022 convention near Crewe

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

We thoroughly enjoyed the Newcastle show at Gateshead Stadium. Many layouts that we hadn't seen before, good lunch provided and although the accommodation was a bit out we had two very good nights sleep and with taxi prices being very reasonable we had a few great evenings out and about.

Will be Ono ur way home soon from our overnight stop then it's time to put the scenic board in store till the layouts next ouing in May 2015 when we will be doing the Burgess Hill show on the Saturday and the Stow In The Wold show on the Sunday. This will be a first for us doing two different shows with the same layout on the same weekend!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

We are back in Santa Barbara although only for a few hours as we are only on a day trip from LA using Amtrak.

Quite a few changes occurring near to the station with quite a few building sites in areas that ai have modelled.

The bare patch of land opposite the station is now becoming a new museum building. Looks like it may well be worth modelling.

The other overgrown site across State a Street is now an active construction site again with a piling rig in view.

Back across the tracks the White building with red roof now has a new red roof but the whit render has been stripped back to brickwork and back in use.

Other buildings have changed use again but look much the same.

But the best change is the new Figueroa Brewery just off scene of the layout.

Now how do I extend it to fit the brewery in!!!

post-1557-0-34384500-1420659795_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-80810700-1420659828_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-49179400-1420659854_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Even in this view there is a change.

The timber fence to the right of the tracks has gone!!

Coast Starlight heading North.

Hopefully I got a great bit of video of these two P42s pulling away. To post later on the hotel wifi.

post-1557-0-72122800-1420664504_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Reading all the problems commuting into London this week we certainly don't want to leave here especially as it a very pleasant temperature here.

Nice big wide comfy seats on the train. We bought our tickets yesterday at. Santa Barbara station thinking the $28 for the single ride from LAUPT to Oceanside was cheap. However, the woman serving us asked how we were getting back to LA from Santa Barbara When we said that we already had tickets she said that she could add the Oceanside trip (even though it's a different day of travel) for just $8 each!!!

That's about a fiver for a two hour trip. Excellent value and I have collected more Amtrak guest reward points.

Despite all the delays Amtrak can quite often suffer, yesterday everything was running smoothly through Santa Barbara and the northbound Coast Starlight caught us out as we were walking to the station to photograph it.

Luckily it has a 10 minute stop so that's how we managed to get the photo above.

I will try uploading the video to YouTube in a minute on the hotel wifi.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

Saw this sitting on the platform at Santa Barbara yesterday.

Now how do I model this in N scale??

You could potentially start with an Altas Ford Explorer, although it is a slightly smaller vehicle and is a 1993 model.

Scratch-building the rear section onto an Atlas Ford F150 (1997 model) would be a more difficult proposition, but would give a bigger vehicle.

I haven't seen anyone who does a modern GM.

Edit: There is someone called trainlover890 on EBay who does some very crudely painted emergency services SUVs. There is also jimmowill who does resin models of various vehicles, although nothing that modern. I haven't dealt with either, though.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice video - interesting to note the difference in sounds from the P42 and P40 - the '42 seemed to have a loud cooling fan , whereas the '40 had a noticeable turbo whistle - I wonder if any DCC sound decoders have these features?

Interesting observation. Not aware of different sound decoders for each of them but will have to do a bit of research or even go back again to do a double check. The Brewhouse is only a few yards away from that crossing!!!

I like that car.

San Luis Obispo is on my radar for a potential future replacement fror Santa Barbara.

We passed an oil tank train in the LA Suburbs which may well have come down via Santa Barbara.

Ian

We might be meeting up in the future then? It's also the subject of the almost full scale size, under construction, fine scale layout in the SLO railroad museum.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

We might be meeting up in the future then? It's also the subject of the almost full scale size, under construction, fine scale layout in the SLO railroad museum.

Andy

Next time we are in SLO will try and remember to let you know.

Won't be this Summer though will be at the NMRA Convention in Portland. However hoping to be back in SoCal xmas time if all goes to plan.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its just over a week to go when we will be taking the layout to its first shows of the year, firstly to the Burgess Hill show on the Saturday then on the Sunday we will be at the Stow On The Wold show, so a busy weekend.

No work done on the layout since last November but there is some new stock in the form of the new Kato UP excursion train and FEF3. I do need ot add that loco to the Surroundtraxx system along with a few other locos so have a few tasks to do next week.

Now to decide whether we run SP / UP merger era or up to date UP.

Might do each era on different days.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First show of the weekend over. Had a great day at the Burgess Hill show. I even tweaked the sound system so it now appears to be working better.

We ran up to date a UP and Amtrak stock today as well as a 15 coach UP steam excursion with 844 at the head with an SD70m as back up power. 844 performed flawlessly.

Tomorrow we will run SP and UP merger era stock tomorrow at Stow.

post-1557-0-43935600-1431799341_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-14848200-1431799360_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Good to see this at BHMRC yesterday if only from much of the day diagonally opposite!

Thanks to your colleague (I didn't catch his name) for his help in putting a meter across my rails to try and find why a loco kept stalling.

Good luck with the show today :good:

• RMweb Gold

Good to see this at BHMRC yesterday if only from much of the day diagonally opposite!

Thanks to your colleague (I didn't catch his name) for his help in putting a meter across my rails to try and find why a loco kept stalling.

Good luck with the show today :good:

That was Gordon who. Gave you a hand.

I kept looking across to your layout but didn't get chance to come over.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Andy

When I planned the layout the intention was to go fully automated but part of the fun exhibiting the layout is going so with a group of us plus putting the stock out and packing it away needs quite a few people if we are not planning on spending all night doing do. So we have stuck with human intervention.

Today we ran with SP / UP merger era but the layout didn't run as well as yesterday to start with do we spent quite a bit of time putting stock back on the track!!

The layout did eventually settle down although the FEF3 which ran well yesterday and this morning then decided it wanted to join in the fun of derailing but I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

So a few locos to service before the next outing.