Santa Barbara in N scale_ at the NMRABR 2022 convention near Crewe

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Dan

I will try and remeber to put them in the bag for Warley. Where did you buy your one from?

No cost - they would probably just sit in the original box like all the others  and gret forgotten about as the locos all now reside in a stock box.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Cheers bud! :D

I got it second hand from Conti-kits - £35 :)

Thats a good price.

Not the same place as me so it wasnt the boxes getting mixed up with mine then!!

My one is now weathered not as heavily as yours for the tiem being and packed away. Working on a recently aquired Kato Maxi IV three car set. Different type of coupling system to other makes and took me a little while to figure out. Its dead easy once you understand it.

Also on the workbench is an Intermountain SP tunnel motor. Some batches of these Intermountain models have an issue with the handrails being very fragile and breaking, so this one is having the gorken / missing onse replaced using the Gold Medal etches. I hope to have this one back in service for the weekend.

Last ngiht I managed to fit more roof top clutter to one of the warehouses with another to do in the next couple of evenings. There is one building which should have a white roof along with its white walls. I had painted the roof grey as it looks wrong in white but I am debating whether to repaint it white again and lightly weather it.

Despite the layout being 5 years and a few weeks old since its first outing to the NMRA meet in Siwndon in 2009 there are still plenty of things I want to change. The backscene is the main challenge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was a late night in after visiting one of our long standing operators in Kings hospiital at Denmark Hill then a meal and a couple of pints in Wetherspoons so I wasnt too happy when I woke up at 01.30am thinknig of work and couldnt get back to sleep.

So what to do at that time in the very early hours!!

I decided to do some photo editnig. First up was to crop, stretch and skew the photos of the ceramic montages on the walls at the entrance into the station off State Street. Yet to test print them. There are more parts than just the main montage to though, However, one side of the enterance is the Coast Daylight and the other side the Coast Starlight.

post-1557-0-39079700-1415695311_thumb.jpgpost-1557-0-87966400-1415695325_thumb.jpg

next up was to do the grand building that is just off the modelled area but very prominent in the background off to one side, behind the station. Not  sure if it was ah otel at one time but its something htat i havelong wanted ot add to the backscene.

So an hour or more editing the photo cutting out the foreground trees and lamp posts. I have printed out this morning so tonight will hopefully test fit it and then if all is Ok use thicker paper before cutting it out and mounting ont the backscee. There are other such buildings that I may also give a go over the next couple of evenings now I am getting the nag of the various editing packages that I have to hand.

The grand building from a photo that I took a few years ago, before editing

post-1557-0-06254900-1415695372_thumb.jpg

And the nearly completed edited photo. I think that I still need to remove the wall and cars infront of the building but the remaining trees are fine. The sky will be cut out and discarded.

post-1557-0-19790700-1415695455_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Last night I cut out the printed out building in the above post. Was a little too large so reprinted it on A5 paper but then a little too small. Anyway I think that I now have just about the right size print.

It does span a baseboard joint so need ot set up another board to cut and fix it in place. Does fill  the backscene quite nicely so must get on with other structures that should be clearly visible.

However something that I didnt expect was to see various cracks in the scenery (a real earthqauke probably about 4.5 on the richter scale). The layout has lasted well till now but a fair few cracks just on this one board so a plenty of superglue to hold one building back down into place. A couple of others have a 3mm gap between them but no sign of them moving on the baseboard which is odd. Not too obvious luckily (unless pointed out)  so will have to wait till I have more time to sort that one out.

A few more roof top details were also added ot naother industrial building so they just need painting to finish them off.

Still plenty of tasks planned for this weekend although not all will get done.

This lunch time I printed out some show specific pelmet signs for the upcoming Newcastle show (also did some for Banbury for the Warley show) which show a few facts, some useless ones but hopefully humorous aswell!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not a lot done due to visiting mum.

However I did manage to do one of the RR crossing road markings.

The paint pen nib is ever so slightly too big for the finer parts of the template but the photo below shows the first one now done. It will require toning down once the adjacent one is added and has dried.

post-1557-0-43415000-1415829131_thumb.jpg

The next photo shows the edited photo of the building that once printed on thicker paper will be glued onto the backscene tomorrow evening prior to boxing up the boards ready for loading.

post-1557-0-88571200-1415829233_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I'm sure I have one of those lying around somewhere. Thanks for that Ian.

On a side note, I saw Banbury in this month's RM. Good looking layout I must say and congrats for getting into the mag. It may have influenced a small N gauge side project...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure I have one of those lying around somewhere. Thanks for that Ian.

On a side note, I saw Banbury in this month's RM. Good looking layout I must say and congrats for getting into the mag. It may have influenced a small N gauge side project...

Its an Edding 780 pen. Its a touch too thick to use in the finer lines such as the R's.However, I may take a file to the template to allow the nib to pass through more easily.

thnaksregarding Banbury.

• RMweb Gold

A parcel from Shapeways was by the door last night. In the delivery were a couple of N scale trash bins.

They weren't cheap at a few Euros each hut they are about as close as I will get to the ones at Santa.

Up early this morning so I painted them dark green and they are now in place, one on the sidewalk on State Street and the other type on the station platform. Just need to order a few more to complete the job.

Got to pop down the sorting office shortly to pick up a new 66 for Banbury then it's time to load the car for our trip to Newcastle today.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

John

It was not good to start with. An accident on the M25 only one junction on from where we joined(at least we weren't going the other way where the overnight roadworks were faulty) then an accident just onto the M1 where we sat still for over an hour but luckily after that we had a fairly uneventful run.

In the hall about 4.30pm and layout set up. Just need to add locos this morning and we should be ready to go.

Looks to be a very good show looking at the layouts we saw setting up last night.

See you Sunday.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

have a good weekend,can't get over, our local show is this weekend,don't get to much beer now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray

Thanks Ray but you are a little too late re the beer, a trip to the Lambotn Worm then into Chester Le Street, although we didn't have too many last night as we were knackered after a long day's drive.

We will make up for it tonight in Newcastle.

Certainly looking forward to the show today.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We have had a great day at the show at Gateshead Stadium. Good lunch provided and plenty of tea.

It's been a good show with plenty of layouts that we have not seen before, all very good quality.

Now it's time for a few beers and the Schooner down by the river is only a few minutes walk from the venue. Next stop Newcastle.

Tomorrow we will probably run SP / UP merger period and plenty of Tunnel motors

• Like 1