Simon's Workbench, Building a 7mm MMP class 56

I fitted LED lights to 56 067, I had to drill out the holes to get them in so they don't look as good as the original dummy ones. It is DCC powered, so the lights can be controlled by function outputs. I also fitted working fans using some small motors, but with less success as they are quite noisy. Nowadays I use laptop CPU fans as roof fans. Painted red they look the part and are silent.

I fitted LED lights to 56 067, I had to drill out the holes to get them in so they don't look as good as the original dummy ones. It is DCC powered, so the lights can be controlled by function outputs. I also fitted working fans using some small motors, but with less success as they are quite noisy. Nowadays I use laptop CPU fans as roof fans. Painted red they look the part and are silent.

I was thinking of fitting working fans when I started this 4 years, may have to look at the cpu fans.

Cheers

Simon

Brilliant news that your back on the grid build  :locomotive:  I still have not seen one finished or an MMP 58.

I've got a 58 in EWS livery and very nice it is too. Can't claim any credit for it though as I bought it 99% built and had it beautifully finished, painted and weathered by Peter Clark (worth every penny!!)

JF

Hi,

Bit more work done, started the fitment of the cab front and cab windscreens at one end. The joins need filing to produce a slight rounded edge on the cab front lip.

post-6834-0-88912700-1385568766_thumb.jpg

Hopefully it is starting to look like a 56, from the instructions in the kit, I think you should fit the cab interiors at this point, but I decided to leave them till the loco is basically painted. Also this will allow the fitment of the led lighting after painting.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, I can understand why. I think they look great in Large Logo but also like Red-Stripe Railfreight......oh and Coal too!

She is certainly looking like a Grid, the bogies really do look the business.....

Looking forward to seeing your next update!

Hi Alex,

Whilst working on the 56, I came across some photographs Richard_S (Knottingley WRD) had passed to me of 56093 in Large Logo Blue complete with white/silver frames, 56093 was the model I was originally going to do, what to do!

Bit more completed, managed to fit the horn covers on the cab fronts along with the kick plates on the cab door and also the frames for the cab windows.

post-6834-0-45506200-1385651296_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Hi,

Its getting there slowly. Managed to fit all the etches for the marker lights and also the step on the cab front. There is still quite a bit of work to do yet on the roof sections with all the details to add etc. Also managed to test the motors in the bogies.

post-6834-0-06509600-1385811452_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Archived