Thompson L1 conversion from Bachmann V1.

Hi all.

A few more photo's as work progresses. By it's very nature, progress is slow at the moment as I'm laminating the plasticard where I'm filling in the running plate. Hopefully, the loco will look somewhat straighter too!

I'll be filling the boiler gap and running plate gap next and although the bits I've done so far, probably don't really need much tidying, (as it will mostly be hidden by the side tanks), I will probably tidy it up as I'll know the mess that lurks behind. At the same time, I reckon I'll remove the boiler detail such as dome, snifter and funnel, as well as those boiler bands which are in the wrong place.

I think, I'll then start work on the front buffer beam. I don't want to do the side tanks too early for fear of damaging them with handling, so will probably leave them till the rest of the work on the front end is complete.

So, as always, the captions on the pictures will explain all.

post-6920-1261221212338_thumb.jpg

Side view of the boiler joint.

post-6920-12612212770643_thumb.jpg

View from above, (after scraping the snow from my trusty photo steps). Hopefully, a little straighter than the previous picture. Filler tanks also "plated" over.

post-6920-1261221378588_thumb.jpg

Finally, a view from below, showing how I've filled the gap in the running plate with laminate plasticard. I expect a little trimming will be needed in order to fit the new chassis.

Cheers for now.

Sean.

Whenever a new model is introduced there is a flood of comments about various dimensions and their accuracy. Different people seem to find one particular aspect annoying, whilst other people hardly notice the error. It just struck me looking at your last photos that simply increasing the length of the boiler by a few mm completely alters the character of the beast. It's the way that the proportions change. I don't know if others see it the same way but to me it suddenly takes an a different character and shouts Thompson rather than Gresley. Keep up the good work.

Bernard

Hi Bernard.

Thanks for checking in again and for your comments. I guess you're right, simply by stretching the loco, it changes its look. I have to say though I believe a model never looks right till the transfers are on. Here's a thing though, I'd forgot the donor was a Gresley loco! I don't think I'll ever infiltrate the steam crowd at this rate..... He heh.

Thanks for looking in Anglian. Progress is slow, but keep your eye on the thread and feel free to join in. I'll go wrong somewhere so I kind of rely on the watchers to keep me straight.

And to Mali, mines a strong cuppa, no sugar.... He heh.

Cheers for now.

Sean.

Guest Max Stafford

Absolutely! tongue.gif I just like the way the solvent goes off and the plastic solidifies into a whole. I have mixed Squadron Green Putty filler with Superglue and got much the same effect!

That sounds like something Father Jack would appreciate...! :lol:

Dave.

You'd best hurry up and complete this project hack, 'cos Hornby have only gone and announced their RTR one for 2010 laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thanks for your mature outlook Horsetan!

Having not seen any of your work, I'm not sure that you'll have had the blow of this happening. For those out there watching, work will continue apace on this model and we'll try again to keep it positive thanks.

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

Having not seen any of your work, I'm not sure that you'll have had the blow of this happening. For those out there watching, work will continue apace on this model and we'll try again to keep it positive thanks.

Cheers.

Sean.

Thumbs up Sean when they say the X is XX mm out of line you'll be able to say well mines cock on! B)

- Keep going!

Cheers.

Sean.

Yes, keep up the good work Sean, building your own is so much more satisfying than just clicking "buy now" on ebay! Thats why I prefer my coverted Hornby class 24 to a Bachmann 24.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers.

Sean.

Good on you... we are supposed to be railway modellers after all :icon_thumbsup2:

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Firstly, my sympathies as to the result of Hornby 2010 - however...you have until the 3rd quarter to produce an RTR L1! Sean VS Hornby - you can do it!

I'll be not finishing mine as I feel I could take a leaf out of your book and do a K1 using the pieces I had ready for the L1.

Hang in there chap, as your current progress suggests you'll come up with something special (once again :) ).

Merry Christmas,

Simon

Right.

Lets keep this objective. We don't know what version Hornby will produce, (Cut away running plate etc), and lets face it, it's just an announcement at the moment. Having spent somewhere in the region of ??100 on the project, I can ill afford to throw the project away. To be honest, (Horsetan), it may be wise in future to consider this before placing posts like the above. I don't know your financial situation, so it figures you don't know mine. A little more consideration in the future please! Some things may seem funny, but in reality, are not. It can be easy to offend....

With that in mind, can we keep it objective in the future. We're here to build model railways and to be honest, since most of my fleet have some sort of alteration, I couldn't care less what Hornby (or any of the other manufacturers) are doing. Well, thats a slight lie, because the L1 model may form a basis for, say, a 4-6-2 tank etc...... Always thinking you see.....

There has been a lot of discussion on this thread already and I welcome the majority of it. "The boilers not straight" "It needs to be this long" and "Your pipe run goes here" etc. Lets keep it relevant, informative, objective and if we must use humor, Make sure it's funny!!!

In defiance of the Hornby announcement, all the gaps are presently filled ready for sanding smooth, then work will commence on the front buffer beam and running plate area.

Photo's will follow.

Cheers.

Sean.

Right.

We don't know what version Hornby will produce, (Cut away running plate etc), and lets face it, it's just an announcement at the moment.

If you read the fine print in the announcement it does pose some interesting questions. An LNER version. What exactly do they mean by that? Any body who thinks that description can only apply to one loco please check before jumping in. :D

It could well be that any of the Hornby offerings, when they eventually appear, might need quite a lot of work to turn it into the particular machine that Sean is trying to portray. far better I think to carry on, particularly in view of the money spent. Certainly much more interesting to me as a reader and I hope also to Sean as the builder.

Bernard

Archived