GWR 175 Class 57 - Nearly Here !

mike tugsandsheds

Thanks for that, been wondering when its due! .. not a big fan of FGW ( disgruntled passenger) but 57604 is a lovely loco that Brush Loughborough repainted not too long ago

NL

Mine will be arriving back end of November and I'll do a 57 Line up although I'm sure more pictures will have arrived before hand.

As a matter of interest, have all the DRS 57/0s now received the radiator mods ? I believe the 57/3s and 57/6s got the new shiny stainless steel grilles from "new", but HNRC were going to retrofit some 57/0s with the same grille, but not sure how many have been done.

Should be a nice model

As per update on Rail Exclusive website, should be here Mid November.

http://www.railexclu...php?category=15

Then I think a line up of Bodysnatchers might be in the offing !

DRS 57/0's, Virgin 57/3's, ATW 57/3's, FGW Blue 57/6 and GWR 57/6 :sungum:

When I get my GWR 57/6 I should be able to do a line up but I will be exchanging the Virgin 57/3 for the FGW prototype 57/6 Purple Ronnie. Now if only I had a FL 57/0 :)

• RMweb Premium

As a matter of interest, have all the DRS 57/0s now received the radiator mods ? I believe the 57/3s and 57/6s got the new shiny stainless steel grilles from "new", but HNRC were going to retrofit some 57/0s with the same grille, but not sure how many have been done.

Should be a nice model

Believe the change of cooler group from the Class 47 Serck to the stainless steel grille covered type was originally because the 57/3 and 57/6 use the EMD 645-F3B engine, (57/0 use the EMD645-E3) which has a higher output and hence require extra cooling capacity, after experience with 57601.

Not sure if all DRS 57/0 have received the stainless grille cooler group type, but might be to do with the proposed installation of ETS? Maybe the engines are been uprated to be able to supply ETS without compromising the locos performance?

• 2 weeks later...

Unusual to see a propelling move on the mainline, so quite interesting. Class 57s to me sounds slightly like a HST or Class 56, which is nice on todays rather bland traction scene.

Nice also to see a ground disc still in operation. What is happening in Part 2 of the video at about 4':30'' when the train runs past signal GN4 when "on," over the level crossing, and then stops and reverses?

Thanks

Bill

Hi,

My 57604 is now with me, after quick collection from the local sorting Office this morning. Ill sort of write a mini review about it and my own thoughts, also got some pictures, 'cuse the blurryness, indoor lightbulb + sunny day outside does not = good photos! :no:

The model comes in a lovely presentation box, which by the looks of things is made from thin wood, which has the Rail exclusive branding on it. Inside the box comes the Ltd. Edition certificate, with a thank you complementary letter from the Rail Exlusives/Express team, with the Etched nameplates, and headlight surrounds for the modeller to fix, the latter of which being a surprise to fit, as it will be very filly to fit, being a small ring to glue onto the headlight. The name and number plates are nicely produced in etched brass. However the "Great Western Railway Company" crests are in plain brass/gold colour, which is incorrect as they should red, with gold lettering, no doubt Bachmann might of left the mlike this to avoid a timely task of producing them coloured, so another fiddly task for the modeller to do if they want the crests looking correct. Supplied along with the packaging is the usual Bachmann Class 57 parts, with the correct "two peice" snowplough in Black for the FGW 57/6s.

Moving onto the model, overal paint finnish is good, no real fuzzyness on the paintwork, the lining is also well applied with coats of arms printed well also. The GWR green looks a bit on the dark side but otherwise is fine, as are the warning panels. The chassis also has had some extra details added that Myself havnt noticed on previous 57 models from Bachmann, which looks as though theyve attempted to mode lthe fire cut off switches, although if these have been modelled, they are too far inwards. The Chassis also has the Tailights "on and off" Switch is underneath with "GWR 175" markings also. From a modellers point of view the Chunky handrails could be replaced with something finer. Chassis PCB appears to be a 21 pin DCC socket, which is secured to the chassis with the usual screws.

Im now off to test run it and play trains :senile:

TTFN

NL

post-3095-0-80785500-1322222345_thumb.jpg

post-3095-0-30156300-1322222365_thumb.jpg

post-3095-0-80140700-1322222393_thumb.jpg

post-3095-0-97929100-1322222422_thumb.jpg

post-3095-0-01302600-1322222456_thumb.jpg

Supplied along with the packaging is the usual Bachmann Class 57 parts, with the correct "two peice" snowplough in Black for the FGW 57/6s.

Hopefully mine has arrived, just noticed that on the Raile Exclusive Website that it appears to have a 3 piece Snowplough fitted??

post-7957-0-19410000-1322229286_thumb.jpg

Will have to accquire 3 piece and paint black

It did have 3 peice ploughs when it was repainted and unveiled, back last year at the Didcot Railway centre, however it now has the standard two peice ploughs like the rest of the 57/6 fleet for FGW

NL

That explains it, I may still however get the 3 piece just to be able to swap over

Mine has arrived and detailing has duly started.

Dummy screwlinks fitted at both ends along with Snowploughs plugged in (Given that a full set will cost me a £5 i'll go with the ones I have)

I have fitted the upper Headlight surrounds using the tiniest amount of spraymount adhesive (Very light spray) , as this is what I also use for the nameplates/numberplates and there was no way I was going anywhere near it with any kind of superglue!

Tonights job will be painting buffer beam pipework before attachment, and carefully painting the other jumper cable boxes Orange

Then Name and Number plates will be fitted with some light exhaust weathering, she will then be lined up with the other two 57/6's in my fleet 601 and 605

Pics to follow at weekend...

Archived