GWR 175 Class 57 - Nearly Here !

mike tugsandsheds

Collected mine from the Post Office yesterday. Carefully unpacked out of the carboard, then the Rail Exclusive box, slid from the Bachmann sleeve, lifted the see-through cradle on to the table placing the loco upright, then carefully unclipped the see-through cradle top...plink, plink, as the 2 stainless steel roof grills fell onto the table... :resent:

Don't like my Christmas presents breaking before I've got the out of the box....

Am I the only one?

I know what's happened: differential thermal contraction. The loco has got really cold during it's delivery, the stainless steel has contracted and the inflexiable superglue has cracked. No-ones fault but a pain. Time to find the EvoStick as reapply them v.e.r.y c.a.r.e.f.u.l.l.y! On some of the American locos that have stainless steel grids they have tabs that fit into the body so at least they can be repaired cleanly.

It's a beautiful loco but it looks a bit like something out of Frankenstein...

Luke :fie:

I have had exactly the same problem with mine, one of the metal grills came off in the post. Not a problem, a clean-up with a sharp scalpel and a dab of glue put things right.

The sound is quite surprising, very noisy. I will have to work out how to tone it down a bit, it drowns out my Kernow class 47.

• RMweb Gold

Sunday lunchtime and Royal Mail just delivered Pendennis Castle.

Luckily the grills are still in place and, as mentioned above, the sound is loud but in no way distorted - fantastic looking model. I'm a happy bunny.

Keith

Collected mine from the Post Office yesterday. Carefully unpacked out of the carboard, then the Rail Exclusive box, slid from the Bachmann sleeve, lifted the see-through cradle on to the table placing the loco upright, then carefully unclipped the see-through cradle top...plink, plink, as the 2 stainless steel roof grills fell onto the table... :resent:

Don't like my Christmas presents breaking before I've got the out of the box....

Am I the only one?

I know what's happened: differential thermal contraction. The loco has got really cold during it's delivery, the stainless steel has contracted and the inflexiable superglue has cracked. No-ones fault but a pain. Time to find the EvoStick as reapply them v.e.r.y c.a.r.e.f.u.l.l.y! On some of the American locos that have stainless steel grids they have tabs that fit into the body so at least they can be repaired cleanly.

Got a really positive e-mail yesterday from Philip Sutton ate RailExclusive (see below). They apologetic, understanding and are happy to exchange without further questions.

As I believe I'm a modeller (!) I'll do the repair myself but I'm impressed with the customer service.

+++++++++++++++++

Thanks for your note and I am sorry you have had some problems with your GWR Class 57. We have had a few minor quality control issues and will be more than happy to exchange yours with a new one from stock immediately, if you so wish. A couple of people have reported similar problems.

Unfortunately we cannot inspect every model without damaging the tissue packaging. I agree that the design is poor with the only reliance on fixing this part being glue, which is very brittle. We have passed this information on to Bachmann but time will only tell if they listen. All the boxed models are boxed and labelled ‘QC checked’.

I can only apologise again. Let me know if you are happy to effect a repair or if you would like me to exchange the model.

Thanks for your support of RAIL EXCLUSIVE models.

Best regards

Philip

• RMweb Premium

Am I the only one?

I had the same problem but repaired it myself. The only other problem was that one of the dummy couplings went for a wonder whilst in transit. Contacted Rail Exclusive and a replacement was sent.

Terry

• 2 months later...

Archived