Merlin vs Bittern

Dale

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Merlin and Bittern? They are both A4’s in the same livery so without having seen them side by side, I am wondering what you get with Merlin to justify the extra £38?

(From Hattons)

R3012

Hornby Model Railways

Class A4 4-6-2 "Merlin" BR Late Crest Circa 1959

OO Gauge (1:76th scale)

£116

31-963

Bachmann UK

A4 Class 4-6-2 60019 "Bittern" with double chimney & non corridor tender in BR lined green with late crest livery

OO Gauge (1:76th scale)

£78

Cheers all,

D.

You get a far superior locomotive with the Hornby model.

The body is spot on the Hornby model plus the fine details such as lamp irons, front couplings etc.... With a reliable smooth running chassis, where as Bachmann's is the age old split chassis, and just doesn't look as good frankly.

It may be more expensive, but the Hornby model wins every time, I'd have nothing else!

But the world is about to shift on its axis, Bachmann are revising the chassis of their A4 to be a regular wiper pick up unit, although the body mouldings by all accounts will remain as on the split chassis version. Whether they will add some of the missing body detail (personally I doubt it) we have to wait and see.

For all that, since the same basic body moulding will continue, Hornby's superior body mouldings, loco and tender will be unsurpassed in plastic OO form. But there is more to a model than the bodywork: even in split chassis form, the Bachmann model has a better looking loco chassis in many respects, better section rods, Doncaster pattern bogie and driving wheels, a soliid chassis block with no see through section behind the cylinders where there should be frame plates, as found on the current Hornby model. If Bachmann maintain the appearance in the new A4 chassis, I can see myself combining this loco chassis with the Hornby body. The tenders are Hornby all the way, much superior models; note that plural, they do all three types normal behind A4s. Which is nice...

Room for another competitor to offer a 'perfect' A4 in OO plastic bodied form of course...

lol, Golden Age, aye. That would be grounds for divorce LOL. So its the Hornby model for me then I think, now to find a suitable A4 sound chip...

Cheers lads.

D.

the south west digital one is great but I would fit the bigger 40X20 speaker in as it is rather quiet with just the 23mm round one.

I recently fitted one to my TMC Sir Nigel Gresley which now looks and sounds a treat.

Alistair

(no connection to SWD or TMC just very satisfied, very broke customer)

But the world is about to shift on its axis, Bachmann are revising the chassis of their A4 to be a regular wiper pick up unit, although the body mouldings by all accounts will remain as on the split chassis version. Whether they will add some of the missing body detail (personally I doubt it) we have to wait and see.

For all that, since the same basic body moulding will continue, Hornby's superior body mouldings, loco and tender will be unsurpassed in plastic OO form. But there is more to a model than the bodywork: even in split chassis form, the Bachmann model has a better looking loco chassis in many respects, better section rods, Doncaster pattern bogie and driving wheels, a soliid chassis block with no see through section behind the cylinders where there should be frame plates, as found on the current Hornby model. If Bachmann maintain the appearance in the new A4 chassis, I can see myself combining this loco chassis with the Hornby body. The tenders are Hornby all the way, much superior models; note that plural, they do all three types normal behind A4s. Which is nice...

Room for another competitor to offer a 'perfect' A4 in OO plastic bodied form of course...

Save your money buy the detail etch from Brassmasters for £5. Hornby every time for me no comparison new chassis wont correct the "average" Bachmann body and tender.

Well Merlin is now running in around my track whilst the SWD chip wings its way north to me... now to find a nice rake of coaches to trundle along behind it...

I've a fancy to obtain a Hornby A4 and convert it to 60017 Silver Fox circa 1960. Could anybody tell me which Hornby Model is closest in configuration to it and has the correct tender?

Thanks

Arthur

Well Merlin is now running in around my track whilst the SWD chip wings its way north to me... now to find a nice rake of coaches to trundle along behind it...

Good luck with that if you want Teaks, they're going for silly prices on ebay in some cases. Unless you plan on doing an all sleeper....

Good luck with that if you want Teaks, they're going for silly prices on ebay in some cases. Unless you plan on doing an all sleeper....

Going to put a rake of BR Mk1's behind her in maroon.

Archived