Bachmann 38-261A era and stomping grounds?

Dale

Can anyone tell me if the Presflo 20t Crown Cement Bauxite wagon which Bachmann currently model in OO RTR would have been seen between York and Newcastle in the early to mid 60's? If not then any suggestions for a cement wagon which loosely fits that period and time would be welcome.

Cheers all.

D.

Five minutes of searching through Paul Bartletts photo collection yields a photo of one of these at Hexham, albeit Tunnel cement rather than Crown. So yes, in theory there is no reason why these wagons could not have been seen on the ECML, even though it is a different company.

You might get more help if you make the title of the thread meaningful ..

There wasn't enough space to write 'Excuse me but would any of the learned folk of this fine website be able to tell me if the ready to run model produced by Bachmann of a cement wagon with the product code 36-281A was, in real life frequently used in the north east of England, specifically between York and Newcastle in in the early to mid 60's? As a new member of the site making my initial few posts and a railway greenhorn to boot, your advice is helpful so thanks for taking the time to post. I will endeavour to make any subsequent post titles more ... meaningful.

D.

There wasn't enough space to write 'Excuse me but would any of the learned folk of this fine website be able to tell me if the ready to run model produced by Bachmann of a cement wagon with the product code 36-281A was, in real life frequently used in the north east of England, specifically between York and Newcastle in in the early to mid 60's? .

Um, I do hope that's written tongue in cheek. How about 'Bachmann Crown Cement Presflo' for a heading - it's succinct, and would have made me for one open the thread rather sooner; none of us carry a Bachmann catalogue around in our heads and for all I knew, it could have been a loco, coach or wagon.

For what it's worth, your question is a pretty big ask - this model is one that carries a poster advertising the firm rather than a more obvious branding, so short of a lucky closeup photo (or dropping across somebody with intimate knowledge of cement company distribution contracts from 50 years ago...), you're not likely to get an answer any better than Boris'. Cement is a product that was being consumed nationally in large quantities at that time (hence the building of over 2000 Presflos), so even without definitive evidence, pretty much any Presflo on the ECML would be believeable.

Um, I do hope that's written tongue in cheek.

Aye, mostly :P

Thanks for the response. As always i am just trying to buy rolling stock that wont invite the rivet police to retract in horror should they ever see my humble freight workings. A little shock... yes, but horror is a step to far.

D.

Did there not used to be working from Kent to York with a 33 on the front ,with unmarked Pressflows ?

I doubt that many of them were unmarked, it was the well known Blue Circle working from Cliffe (Kent) to Uddingston (Glasgow), one of the flows that at one time used the infamous yellow beasties.

The Crown wasn't a livery, all Bachmann has done is copy a photograph with a poster for Crown cement stuck on.

Presflo were to be seen everywhere. Although they worked in block trains, there were road vehicles capable of unloading them at any yard and there are ample photographs showing singletons or 2 or 3 wagons together in mixed freights. I have several collections of photos of these presflo, but this is the main one http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpresflo

Paul Bartlett

PS - yes I haven't bothered looking at this request before because the subject wasn't in the heading.

I believe 'Crown' (whose works were at Penyffordd, near Wrexham) was a brand for a company in the same group as 'Castle' (aka Ribble)- Ribble certainly had a depot off Scotswood Road, near Newcastle station, and another at Middlesborough Goods. Both these depots survived into the 1990s.

The flow to Hexham was in conjunction with the construction of Kielder reservoir between 1975 and 1981- similar short-term terminals were often to be found in the vicinity of major construction problems. We moved to the North-East in 1982, by which time, the only remnant of the terminal at Hexham was the Portakabin.

Archived