Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby R2572 Green Class 31/1

BrushVeteran

It was good to see you and your family again, Grahame. Fingers crossed about the green 31.

I thought I would start a new topic on this as further discussion and comments would not have been appropiate where it was.

I feel this may be the best time to resurrect this to see if there is any interest and indeed futher support to lobby Simon Kohler for the reintroduction of this version of Hornby's Class 31 in 1960's green livery. It was only in the catalogue for a couple of years and the tooling was unique to this early green version. There are at least five other liveries than could be produced from the existing tooling for this model and as I mentioned next year will be the fiftieth anniversary of Triang's original model of the unique blue liveried D5578.

It is quite hard to come by secondhand and the ebay prices seem to reflect that this would be worth another run. A question was raised about this model's reintroduction on MRE Mag last week to which I replied, since then I have received a few positive comments and it seems worthy of a wider audience

So its over to you guys and as it is a month to go before Warley I just thought I would give this one more go. Hopefully them I will speak further with Simon to see whether his reaction seems favourable, as he appeared fairly keen at the Peterborough show. It would be nice to see this once again in the 2012 catalogue!

post-4697-0-52463800-1319120955.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I agree that the two 1960 experimental liveries would make a great limited edition set, but would personally settle for just a golden ochre version. I remember seeing them side by side at Stratford when they were new, and I thought the blue one looked boring then. Little did I know it would spawn a whole era!

• RMweb Gold

Both locos were regular visitors on my home patch when I were a lad and I was given the Tri-ang/Hornby version of D5578 one Christmas which I still possess. I'd be up for a commemorative model, although I'm not desperate for one.

I would support the re-release of the green-liveried version as I regard it as a big gap in the current range of green era diesels, especially with Bachmann's update of the 37.

• RMweb Premium

I'd certainly be up for a green one! It always seems to be the proper colour for a Brush 2, whether on ECS out of the Cross or trundling down some goods-only Eat Anglian byway.

I bought one when they first came out and managed to acquire a second one through the good offices of a fellow RMweb member, but wouldn't mind another if available.

From a selfish point of view though, I'd prefer green with no yellow panel as that would fit in better with my layout; but it's a variation which hasn't been done yet, and I'd guess it'd be easier to paint a yellow panel on if you wanted one than to take one off if you didn't.

Any self respecting EA modeller NEEDS green 31's, there was virtually nothing else around, or so it seems. They were OUR locos, as much as the 105's were OUR dmu's.

I have 5x 31 in my collecton at the moment; I personally like the Hornby one, and intended to standardise on them. But at the present time, only D5508 (Hornby disc version) and D5616 (headcode version) have been replaced so far. That leaves D5525 (Lima disc, not relevant to this thread); D5578/79 (Lima experimental), and an as yet A.N.Other standard green version for me to buy from Hornby.

I make that 3, or possibly 4 if I do the D5525 version as a conversion myself.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I sold my unused Hornby R2572 and Lima D5578 in ochre through Vectis in August, along with lots of other stuff that no long fitted in with my operating interests. I hope they went to a good home...

I have to agree R2572 is a lovely model and was an impulse buy as a result. Since it sold out quite quickly, I think it high likely that Hornby will produce another 31 in that livery in due course. How soon may depend on other liveries still in the catalogue selling out of course - I expect Hornby will want to have a production run of more than just livery to reduce unit costs. What else hasn't been done yet?

Seems to be scope for at least 3 new releases

1. Green with no yellow warning panel

2. Green with Full Yellow ends, maybe with coporate arrows?

3. Another Green small yellow ends

There seems to be a pent up demand for these judging by recent auction prices both on and offline.

Over to you Mr and Mrs Hornby

Put me down for 1 x green, small yellow panel with headcode boxes if they do 'em. I have a green no yellow panelled skin head with Hornby now and another green un would not go amiss. I would probably get the blue and golden orche versions if they did them too.

Hornby have yet to release a mid 60s - mid 70s version of this model (i.e. with EE engine ports, bodyside steps & roof filler recess, nose doors still in situ).

At least this style is appropriate for a wider operating sphere given that it represents the period when some moved away from their ER 'home' territory with allocations at WR and ex. NER depots. This has a lot of potential for livery variations not yet covered as well.

Hornby have yet to release a mid 60s - mid 70s version of this model (i.e. with EE engine ports, bodyside steps & roof filler recess, nose doors still in situ).

At least this style is appropriate for a wider operating sphere given that it represents the period when some moved away from their ER 'home' territory with allocations at WR and ex. NER depots. This has a lot of potential for livery variations not yet covered as well.

Indeed 50A55B you are correct and similarly the bodyshell of the toffee-apple variant R2420A could be modified to represent 'skinhead' D5520-9,35,39,43,47,51,52,55,56,59 & 62 with both exhaust configurations.

At the moment though I am trying to 'tread the water' carefully to persuade Hornby to reintroduce the original tooling for R2572 as a different number/livery. As I am not sure how their tooling is made up I didn't want to over complicate the original question of getting a green headcode Brush Type 2 back in circulation. Once there is some positive movement on this from Hornby I'm sure collectively we will be able to come up with futher variants to wish for. At the end of the day it is all about sales and volume so best start saving!!!

I have two of the Pilot version from Hornby in plain BR Green and would love to see them produce the early production run locos in plain green and golden ochre to compliment them as my lima one looks a bit tired. However I also think Heljan might be worth approaching as they're running out of completely new locos to produce and reducing their O version Cad's would be easier, plus Heljan seen to vary liveries and numbers more.

• 2 months later...

Archived