Were other regions locomotives found on GWR lines?

Darfield Boy

I would like to build a GWR layout but was wondering if I was limited to running only GWR steam locomotives. If not which other of the Big Four shared lines with the GWR and where?

I would like to remain as authentic as possible, however I am not adverse to using a little artistic licence as long as it remains plausible. Would my Class 4MT 2-6-4 look out of place? If not which part of the GWR would it be seen on and could it have been a branch line.

Any advice will be great appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance

Chris

• RMweb Gold

There will be many opportunities for you to consider. The one that springs to my mind is the Oxford - Reading - Basingstoke axis, allowing you to mix Midland, Southern and BR standards with your WR fleet.

• RMweb Gold

There will be many opportunities for you to consider. The one that springs to my mind is the Oxford - Reading - Basingstoke axis, allowing you to mix Midland, Southern and BR standards with your WR fleet.

Plus there was a regular Eastern working through Oxford enroute to Swindon from Sheffield (usually a B1 in latter years), B1s were also authorised as far as Bristol off the Gloucester line. I'm fairly sure that Oxford - Didcot North Junction was the only stretch of the Western apart from the West London Line and Acton/Old Oak yards where you could see locos of all the four grouped Companies on booked services. But of course specials could produce all sorts of entertainment and the 'Wycombe branch' (Maidenhead to High Wycombe, single line) paid host at various times to Black 5, B1, Jubilees and even an EE Type 4 (Class 40) and judging by what I saw elsewhere in the vicinity I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it had seen a 4F on an excursion. However the big standard tanks came fairly late to the Western.

I'm sure we've covered this in a fairly recent thread but I can't recall its title alas.

I have seen a picture of a Fowler 4MT tank at Weston, Bath. Quite likely that it may have been seen at Bristol Temple Meads. Southern loco's went as far as Cardiff when working from Portsmouth. Is your branch large enough to warrant through working from other regions ? Though with a tank engine that's not that likely. However, modeller's licence is always your friend.

I have seen a picture of a Fowler 4MT tank at Weston, Bath. Quite likely that it may have been seen at Bristol Temple Meads. Southern loco's went as far as Cardiff when working from Portsmouth. Is your branch large enough to warrant through working from other regions ? Though with a tank engine that's not that likely. However, modeller's licence is always your friend.

One location that springs to mind is Pontardulais, towards the southern end of the 'Heart of Wales' line- the main line between Swansea Victoria and Craven Arms was LNWR, then LMS, operated, but there was a branch from Llandilo Junction which was GWR. The GWR also had running powers as far as Llandovery. Whilst the GWR trains were worked by small tanks, the LMS ones used anything up to Patriots and Black 5s. When the line between Pontardulais and Swansea shut, Llanelly shed (87F) was allocated some Stanier 8Fs to work the remaining freight services over the line to Craven Arms.

Another possibility might be somewhere on the 'North and West', the Shrewsbury- Hereford- Newport main line.

Doesn't this question really require the qualification of what date is being considered.

A "GWR layout" can cover a very wide range of dates possibly from broad gauge right through to even early BR. So from absolutely nothing to quite a few. If we are considering BR(W) then as already pointed out there could have been a wide range of other steam locos.

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't this question really require the qualification of what date is being considered.

Given the mention of a 4MT 2-6-4 I had assumed BR days. I think your suggested scale - absolutely nothing to quite a few - hits the nail firmly on the head. For maximum variety choose BR!

4MTs were not common on WR metals however the smaller 3MTs were quite common, particularly in the Bristol and Gloucester areas.

As others have noted, all 4 of the Big 4 could be seen together at Oxford. The WR shared borders with the SR to the south and LMR to the north so you could easily have those running side but side. Bristol Temple Meads was another big hub station where you could see trains from almost anywhere heading for the holiday resorts of the Cornish riviera.

If you are looking for somewhere smaller then the Maidenhead - Wycombe line has possibilities as The Stationmaster pointed out. You would get excurion trains from a lot of places coming for Marlow regatta week. In it heyday (just before WW2 and then again in the 50s) you could see up to 50 excursion trains a week coming to Marlow.

Thanks

As yet I have not started to build my layout but am purely doing research work. living in new Zealand unfortunately has its disadvantages when trying to model british outline.

Maidenhead - Wycombe seems like a great possiblity. Do you have any suggestions where I could find out more about this particular line?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

As yet I have not started to build my layout but am purely doing research work. living in new Zealand unfortunately has its disadvantages when trying to model british outline.

Maidenhead - Wycombe seems like a great possiblity. Do you have any suggestions where I could find out more about this particular line?

Chris

Here's one starting point Chris although it is basically BR period

http://www.mdrs.org.uk/wycmaidmarlow.htm

"The Marlow Branch" by Paul Karau and Chris Turner (Wild Swan publising) gives an excellent and detailed description and history of the Marlow - Bourne End section of the line. The Maidenhead - High Wycombe section is not so well documented but photos can be found in various places.

That's a really interesting link Mike. The ex-LBSC Atlantic at Bourne End is one that I wouldn't have dreamt of in a million years. Some surprisingly heavyweight kit visible in steam days too.

Indeed. The route was the GWR's original route towards Birmingham and only got demoted with the opening of the direct line from Northolt junction to High Wycombe in the early 20th century. As such it was a red route and could handle anything up to a Castle.

• RMweb Premium

4MTs were not common on WR metals however the smaller 3MTs were quite common, particularly in the Bristol and Gloucester areas.

It's true that they were not typical WR locos, but one part of the former GWR where 4MTs did run regularly was the ex-Cambrian lines (Shrewsbury-Machynlleth-Pwllheli). However this would have been relatively late in the steam era (about 1963?) by which time I don't think there would be many ex-GW locos working alongside them, apart from the Manors.

Andy

When the Kings required urgent repairs apparently the other BR regions lent express engines to BR(W) to make up the shortfall, and I've seen pictures of footballs specials from the Southern region coming into Birmingham Snow Hill behind one of their big pacifics.

When the Kings required urgent repairs apparently the other BR regions lent express engines to BR(W) to make up the shortfall, and I've seen pictures of footballs specials from the Southern region coming into Birmingham Snow Hill behind one of their big pacifics.

Yes, you can always cite a shortage of suitable loco's for bringing in other types. Witness the V2s in to cover for Merchant Navies.

It's true that they were not typical WR locos, but one part of the former GWR where 4MTs did run regularly was the ex-Cambrian lines (Shrewsbury-Machynlleth-Pwllheli).

The OP was asking about the 2-6-4 tanks. I know that the Std4 2-6-0s and 4-6-0s were common on the Cambrian in the 60s but I was not aware that the tank engines were.

Some former LT&S (minus 80103 of course) left via Stratford, and Old oak when the full electric service started in 1962, some went to the Shrewsbury area, and a few went to Swansea with the intention of being used on local workings on the southern end of the Mid-Wales line (not exGWR).

• RMweb Premium

The OP was asking about the 2-6-4 tanks. I know that the Std4 2-6-0s and 4-6-0s were common on the Cambrian in the 60s but I was not aware that the tank engines were.

Yes it was the tanks I was referring to. I think it was following the electrification of the London, Tilbury & Southend that they were transferred to Wales. Here are a couple of photos http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/Class_Details/BR_Class_4_Tank.html, http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=30900

Thought about South Wales ?

As Brian W mentioned the Swansea end of the Central Wales line, there were other former LMS encroachments such as the ex-LNWR presence around the Heads of the Valleys and Western Valleys with Coal tanks, Super D's and Ivatt 2-6-2Ts in later years.

Summer Sundays would see a Super D allowed to stretch its legs and thread its way from valley to valley, down to Aber Jct then through Penrhos and over Walnut Tree viaduct and through Ty'n y Caeau Jct, Wenvoe Tunnel and Cadoxton to Barry Island with a full load of sun-seekers, even crammed into an ex-GWR cut down coach built for the B.P. & G.V.

ISTR that for several years after the grouping an LNWR loco was shedded at the former Rhymney Railway's Cardiff Dock shed (later rebuilt nearby as Cardiff East Dock by the GWR)in order to shunt the former LNWR 'Tyndall Street' goods shed.

The Midland meandered from Hereford to Brecon and on toward the Swansea area, bringing Midland 2F 0-6-0s and some ex-LYR 0-6-0s in for good measure.

Of course there were the half a dozen or so motor fitted 'Jinties' working off St.Thomas (Swansea) with a couple of non-motor fitted brothers.

You could model this area in the early 60s and even get away with Crabs, Black Fives, Duck 8s, 4fs and the odd SR mogul and even a B1 - check out the photos in a book by Alan Jarvis.

Brian R

Yes it was the tanks I was referring to. I think it was following the electrification of the London, Tilbury & Southend that they were transferred to Wales. Here are a couple of photos http://www.southern-...ass_4_Tank.html, http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=30900

You learn something new every day. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Archived