Operating Level Crossing, AOCL - OO

I've been considering adding a working level crossing on my competition layout - and so far I've found the Express Models EX/LC2 for ??39.99, which gives me two working heads, alarm, and relevant electronickery.

I've also had a look at the Stanley Hall "Modern Signalling Handbook" which has this to say about "Automatic Open Crossings Locally Monitored":

These types of equipment are installed where the nature of the train service allows speeds to be reduced on the approach to the crossing to a level at which the train driver can check that the road signals are flashing and the crossing is not obstructed by traffic

The position will be on the approach to a terminus station so trains would be going slow anyway, with adequate visibility, which seems to mean I can use one without barriers.

However, it also says

There are restrictions on the provision of AOCL crossings dependent on the combined number of road and train traffic

but does not specify what the threshold is where AOCL crossings are no longer appropriate, and a half barriered one provided instead.

As the motorising kit (EXLC2B) is another ??35 on top of the light operating equipment, I don't want to go to the extra expense and hassle of making a barriered crossing unnecessarily.

Can anyone with more knowledge of such matters assist me please?

Also, how easy are the Express Models units to set up? Rather than having it 'train operated' I'd probably rather have a couple of push buttons on the control panel so I can do it by hand. Is this possible?

Layout is DCC, time period approx 1987, secondary branchline on the central Southern region if that makes any difference to the parameters.

• RMweb Gold

I've been considering adding a working level crossing on my competition layout - and so far I've found the Express Models EX/LC2 for ??39.99, which gives me two working heads, alarm, and relevant electronickery.

I've also had a look at the Stanley Hall "Modern Signalling Handbook" which has this to say about "Automatic Open Crossings Locally Monitored":

The position will be on the approach to a terminus station so trains would be going slow anyway, with adequate visibility, which seems to mean I can use one without barriers.

However, it also says

but does not specify what the threshold is where AOCL crossings are no longer appropriate, and a half barriered one provided instead.

As the motorising kit (EXLC2B) is another ??35 on top of the light operating equipment, I don't want to go to the extra expense and hassle of making a barriered crossing unnecessarily.

Can anyone with more knowledge of such matters assist me please?

Also, how easy are the Express Models units to set up? Rather than having it 'train operated' I'd probably rather have a couple of push buttons on the control panel so I can do it by hand. Is this possible?

Layout is DCC, time period approx 1987, secondary branchline on the central Southern region if that makes any difference to the parameters.

AOCLs are - or perhaps were? - typically provided on remote roads on sleepy lines where the necessary slowing down doesn't impinge upon timetables. Thus close to a station where everything stops is a good start - but not a station in a busy village, let alone a town, otherwise there's too much road traffic. Appledore in Kent is a good example. Just off the end of the platform of a station miles from the village. I have no knowledge of the kits mentioned, but each direction of rail traffic must have a cross of St George with a flashing white light facing oncoming trains to indicate the crossing is operating corrrectly, i.e. the road lights are at red.

Useful site, thanks for that link.

Seems like I have three options then.

1) Upgrade it to a half barrier crossing and spend more money than I really wanted to.

2) Downgrade the road to get away with an open crossing.

3) Stick in a road bridge instead and forget about a working crossing.

I must admit option 3 is looking more likely at the moment but I'll have a fiddle around with my plans and see if I can fit in option 2.

I'm just a bit loathed to spend ??75 on a 'gimmick feature' as I don't think the extra points I'd gain in the competition for having it would justify the expense.

I'm assuming there aren't many other options at present? I've noticed the Hornby R8259 "Automatic Level Crossing" at ??16 or so which, as it appears, is far too crude for my tastes and doesn't seem to work how I want it to anyway.

Archived