Modelling Filler

Guest baldrick25

If you have access to the inside of the building , cut small, strips of black card ( from pound shops - sold as art card), fold it into a lengthways 'L' shape and stick it along the 'join' inside at the corner. Then 'line' the rest of the interior with the same card to stop light bleed. Finally add the 'interiors' that can be seen thru the windows etc.

Hi Michael,

Further to the above reply, if the building you are working on is plastic, then I would recommend a putty/filler called 'Squadron Green Stuff'. Quite a few online model shops sell it, just have a browse around to find who sells it the cheapest. It is by far the best filler I have used, it is used extensively by people making plastic kits of various kinds, aircraft and armour etc. It dries very hard and can then be sanded or filed to shape. I recently used some to repair the beading on top of a 2nd hand Bachmann GWR 2251 Collett tender I have. Once finished, you could not detect the join. Recently at my railway club, a colleague tried some of mine, saw how good it was and then got some for himself. It has a long shelf life too if you look after it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Holts Cataloy knifing stopper http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_185835_langId_-1_categoryId_165625 is what I now use. I've used it successfully on the Ouse Valley Viaduct which needs a lot of fine filling.

It was recommended to me by 'Pugsley' of this parish. It is acrylic based as opposed to 'Squadron' types which are cellulose based. I can't get on with the cellulose ones as they tend to go hard in the neck of the tube over time. I still use it for filling of very small amounts. A matter of personal taste in the end!

Would I be correct in thinking that Squadron Putty, being cellulosed based, is not suitable for use with plastic?

Steve

Hi Steve,

As I said in my reply, Squadron Green Stuff has been used by plastic kit modellers for years. I used it on my Bachmann 2251 tender with no problems at all. I have also made plastic aircraft and armour kits in the past and used it on them again with no problems at all. As an example, it can be applied as a coat straight onto plastic to represent 'Zimmerit', a non-magnetic paste that was applied to German armour on tanks etc during WWII, to help stop the application of magnetic mines to the vehicles.

Regards,

Mark

Archived