MOD Train - Warflats

Trains4U

Are the VGA etc trains on modern workings older speedlink style livery or EWS?

Trying to decide what colour to paint my Thomas Hill Steeleman shunter, traditional army green or the new lilac. I don't have any good pics of the new livery to work from.

Tried my hand at building a BW Models Saxon for the layout. I don't think it went very well. Might have to find someone to commission to build the other similar models as they are a) probably out of my skill level B) expensive enough to make messing one up be a pain!

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

First post here - and a virgin modeler into the bargain. Just bought 4 of the GRAmodel OO gauge warflats and will be starting to build soon. They came with Ratio bogies but I lack the confidence to build them - could anyone recommend a commercial bogie that will do the trick? I'm trying to recreate a Tank Troop of Centurions on their way to Warcop/Castlemartin for a firing camp.

Grateful for any tips on construction - and if anyone knows where I can get a 1:72 Centurion ARV, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks,

FF

I have rather belatedly come across this thread. Funnily enough I am also assembling a military train with vehicles bound for Castlemartin - My modelling project is trains from the 1950s in South West Wales. I have on my work bench in front of me a rather nice Wild Boar printed Warwell wagon body supplied by Shapeways together with a Revell 1/76 kit for a Comet tank, which were used at Castlemartin until the early 1960s - I once went for a very unofficial and rather hairy ride on one across Castlemartin range. I think these were the last tanks that were rail transportable but I am not certain. The Airfix Cromwell tank is another possible alternative. But I note that both models are a several mm wider than the Warwell wagon which is about 33mm across the frames. Unfortunately I have yet to find a photo to confirm that Cromwell/Comet tanks were indeed rail transportable. Also can anyone give me livery details for the MOD owned Warwells in the mid 1950s. Information on the livery of MOD wagons in this era seems hard to come by.

David

• 6 months later...

More please.

I'm intending to build up a decent MOD train, suitable for the 1980's and I've started with a GRA models warflat.

This is the WW2 design wagon which was phased out during the 1980s.

The wagon still has a way to go (Bogies need painting, metal wheels are required, plus transfers and weathering)

But the FV432s are almost done, they only need number plates and convoy markings to complete.

I've quite enjoyed painting them up

The L plates and rear warning plates were high-res JPGs printed on photo paper - I thought they'd be better overall than transfers (and cheaper)

attachicon.gif fv1.jpg

attachicon.gif fv2.jpg

attachicon.gif fv3.jpg

attachicon.gif fv4.jpg

Whilst they are a pretty good representation of a Mk2 FV432, the mouldings to suffer from distortion, bubbles and broken detail. The track links and headlight guards particularly. I might give the Cromwell models version a try next time.

I'm also after some 1970's pattern warflats - I hear the Genesis kit is a bit of a handful. are there any alternatives that you may be aware of? and does anyone make a Warwell?

I'll add more pics as I get on...

I have rather belatedly come across this thread. Funnily enough I am also assembling a military train with vehicles bound for Castlemartin - My modelling project is trains from the 1950s in South West Wales. I have on my work bench in front of me a rather nice Wild Boar printed Warwell wagon body supplied by Shapeways together with a Revell 1/76 kit for a Comet tank, which were used at Castlemartin until the early 1960s - I once went for a very unofficial and rather hairy ride on one across Castlemartin range. I think these were the last tanks that were rail transportable but I am not certain. The Airfix Cromwell tank is another possible alternative. But I note that both models are a several mm wider than the Warwell wagon which is about 33mm across the frames. Unfortunately I have yet to find a photo to confirm that Cromwell/Comet tanks were indeed rail transportable. Also can anyone give me livery details for the MOD owned Warwells in the mid 1950s. Information on the livery of MOD wagons in this era seems hard to come by.

David

Gosh, forgot about this thread. In the OPC book By G Tanner on the Calne branch, is a pair of photos showing 5 warflats(Yes flats) loaded with Comets on their way to Ludgershall 10/3/58.A very modellable train. Whilst I have a Gramodels Warflat, I am going to use a Parkside Dundas PC24 LNER bogie bolster, Ratio Diamond frame bogies and Gramodels Bufferbeams for my next stab at a warflat.

Don't forget the Revell comet is the wrong Mk for 1960's. I think I saw a conversion set by Matador models at IPMS Telford to produce a later variant, but I have mislaid their catalogue 

Edited by steveb860
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

More please.

if you are going to  do  a train load  don't forget  these usually consisted of at least a company  of  432 series  company HQ    3 vehicles one of which is an ambulance marked one, 3 coys of 4  usually with gpmg turrets  

and my fav  the fitter section  ours was a 432  434  stalwart and ferret if you  wnt call signs let me know

• 1 month later...

Latecomer to this thread, but here are some pics from my personal album.  Sorry about the poor quality, in some cases from phone camera from moving train & in one from a scan from the Regimental Journal:

Warrior on well wagon:

Red%2520Warrior%2520Didcot.jpg

Scimitar/Sabre CVR(T) on flats:

Scimitar-Sabre%2520Didcot.jpg

Scimitar-Sabre%2520at%2520Didcot%25202.j

Chieftain & FV 432 series on flats in BAOR, 1991:

scan0002.jpg

When it goes wrong!

scan0001.jpg

Edit to add:

Just to clarify, the first three pictures are from 2009 & 2010 when I used to commute through Didcot.  Someone on another forum said where the vehicles were destined, but it forget exactly. CVR(T) and AFV were sometimes there, but most of what was on the flats was Ladrovers of various variants and the new vehicles for Afghanistan.  Afraid I had retired by the time these came into service so I'm not sure what they were, but Bulldog, Mastiff & Jackal ring bells.

The Sabre/Scimitar confusion is because while I used to be a Recognition Ninja the little details have slipped my mind.  Besides when I joined up at the end of the Cold War we were supposed to know the differences between BMP, BRDM, BTR and variants of the like rahter than friendly forces kit in detail!

I'm told the rather fetching red Warrior is a safety vehicle from the British Army Training Unit Suffield in Canada.  Again in my day this job was done by Ferret Scout Cars (known as "Red Tops" because their turret was painted thus) and Gazelle helicopters with a red panel.

The Chieftain pictures were taken at the railhead closest to Paderborn or to the Bergen/Hohne ranges & Soltau/Luneberg Training Area.  I would have tried to get more, but was being kept hard at work.  Oh to have had digital in those days to get lots of pics!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 5

Nice photos.

I'm fairly sure all of the Sabres were withdrawn by 2009, so they are most likely Scimitars.

Also I seem to recall Sabres have a collar fitted underneath the turret to increase the height inside.

I bet that Chieftain took some sorting out...

Thanks, Grampus!  Must admit I couldn't see the extended turret ring, so I think you're right about them being Scimitars.  The only time I got less than 100% in a recognition test was a similar confusion caused by the angle of a photo...

I'm afraid the Chieftain off the side of the flat was a year or so before I arrived at the Regiment.  I bet it cost a few slabs as well!