Braybridge - 5'x1' OO gauge - For sale

jamest

• RMweb Gold

Hi James

Just found this thread through our Barnstaple exhibition thread and you have done fantastic job on in, I love it all. I am glade you are bring Braybridge to Barnstaple Show next year.

RAY70B

Thanks Ray,

I'm very much looking forward to it - I'm also glad its a good few months until the exhibition! The good thing about planning to exhibit is that I will knuckle down and finish it off - In the past I've always been tempted to go off and start something else.

Regards,

James

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Bit of progress to report.

I've been adding to and updating some of my greenery and I've purchased some Knightwing lights for my platform.

I tried some Woodland Scenics Fine Leaf Foliage in light green and was very impressed. You can use large bits as shrubs or break it down into smaller clumps for bushes and scrub. I was so impressed I invested in another box in Olive green. You get a sample 'plastic' tree in the box to try out making a tree using the clumps as leaves - so I had a go, and was really pleased with the results.

I will need to weather the green around the tracks with sleeper grime to blend it in better.

post-7097-0-22409300-1359400982.jpg

post-7097-0-30306100-1359400985.jpg

I probably need to weather up the trunk a bit so it doesn't look so 'plasticy' (yes, I should have done that first!)

Here are the shots of the lights in place - they are just placed in a hole at the moment so I can remove them to paint - so they are a little wonky! I when with 'modern' lights - the area is loosely GWR, mainly because of the signal box - what colour would they be? I was going to aim for basic metal finish with perhaps a colour around the larger diameter at the bottom?

post-7097-0-94208600-1359401246.jpg

post-7097-0-75431700-1359401250.jpg

post-7097-0-21772900-1359401255.jpg

Over to the gratuitous 'look what I've bought section' I've invested in a bargain DMU, a new BR Blue class 108 DDC fitted (2 chips) for 62 quid! The destination boards are a way off what would be my choice but I might do something about that in the future. Officially it is my birthday present but as this isn't until March I was only allowed to run it in on my oval test track and sneak a few photos on the layout:

post-7097-0-06261600-1359401526.jpg

post-7097-0-22922100-1359401528.jpg

post-7097-0-72623200-1359401530.jpg

post-7097-0-24514500-1359401533.jpg

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold

Coming on well James.

The scenics are looking good.

Just a couple of thoughts though - are you going to add anything along the front of the layout where you have the open space? Perhaps a trackside hut / plate-layers down near the bridge?

• RMweb Gold
Coming on well James.

The scenics are looking good.

Just a couple of thoughts though - are you going to add anything along the front of the layout where you have the open space? Perhaps a trackside hut / plate-layers down near the bridge?

Hi Richard,

Yes I do plan to put a hut at the road bridge end. I just haven't decided on what type yet. Scalescenes do a yard hut that would blend in with the station building. I have a bachman resin one too - I'm sure I'll change my mind, and hut, a few times before July!

Cheers,

James

James,

Been a long term lurker on this forum and have never posted on the forum pages. Just read this thread from start to finish and am so impressed and inspired. I am currently considering moving from N gauge to a smaller 00 end to end layout due to limited space. (it's a long story that i'll post in a new topic at some stage) Your layout certainly shows how effective a simple plan can be when finished so beautifully. You should be very proud.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Gold

+James,

You could always scratchbuilt as small timber shed? Or, I could built one for you .... or give you some assistance to build your own ...

That sounds good Richard I'd appreciate that - I do plan to make good on my promise to pop into the club - perhaps we copuld talk it over then. Failing that I'm sure we'll meet in the shop soon!

Your layout certainly shows how effective a simple plan can be when finished so beautifully. You should be very proud.

Cheers Scott I appreciate that. Thats one of the best things about a forum - you can go back in time to see how layouts started. And copy other people's ideas!!! :-)

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Rob,

Another quick update on my Friday afternoon's efforts.

I dug out a bit of 3mm ply I salvaged from some furniture as I'd had an idea for finishing off the the front of the layout.

Here are the results - I'm really happy with the result and as we speak (or write) the ply's coat of black paint is drying in the garage. I think it frames the scene nicely and hides the top of the back scene - depending on how tall you are!

post-7097-0-73009100-1359754088.jpg

I've also run down the sides to cover the edge of the back scene:

post-7097-0-97814000-1359754086.jpg

post-7097-0-91995500-1359754091.jpg

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments.

Here is a photo of the painted front panel - It was a bit dark tonight when I took the photo - but you get the idea:

post-7097-0-46945900-1360094245.jpg

I've also carried on filling in with some greenery. I've created some clumps of grass using a mix of fibre colours. I just blob some PVA on a biscuit tin lid and use my gras-master to cover the lot (I think I described this in an earlier post) - some of them merge and some fatten out into different diameters. If you want a straight edge to run against a wall, or fit in-between sleepers you can cut one with some scissors.

Its getting to the point where I need to stand back and judge how much of this I will do - and I need to blow over it with a grimey colour:

Clumps:

post-7097-0-00692800-1360094253.jpg

Sleepers:

post-7097-0-59496700-1360094248.jpg

post-7097-0-42244800-1360094243.jpg

And I've also tried some of my 'mini-natur' ivy on the 'out of use' unloved signal box:

post-7097-0-46098700-1360094257.jpg

post-7097-0-11994700-1360094260.jpg

Cheers,

James

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments.

Here is a photo of the painted front panel - It was a bit dark tonight when I took the photo - but you get the idea:

attachicon.gifP1020313.JPG

I've also carried on filling in with some greenery. I've created some clumps of grass using a mix of fibre colours. I just blob some PVA on a biscuit tin lid and use my gras-master to cover the lot (I think I described this in an earlier post) - some of them merge and some fatten out into different diameters. If you want a straight edge to run against a wall, or fit in-between sleepers you can cut one with some scissors.

Its getting to the point where I need to stand back and judge how much of this I will do - and I need to blow over it with a grimey colour:

Clumps:

attachicon.gifP1020315.JPG

Sleepers:

attachicon.gifP1020314.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020318.JPG

And I've also tried some of my 'mini-natur' ivy on the 'out of use' unloved signal box:

attachicon.gifP1020316.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020317.JPG

Cheers,

James

James,

All I can say is 'WOW'.. It looks fantastic - Will make a fab exhibition layout to give Inspiration to others!! :-)

Fantastic work!

All the best

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Good suggestion on the windows for the signal box - I'll look into that (or not!).

I've been busy off-scene this weekend. My son and I had a running session the other week and it highlighted the attention needed on track alignment. My track is simply pinned down and after a while this just isn't suitable for a portable layout. The short sections of track between the traverser/sector plate and main board are very short and the only thing holding the track from sliding through the chairs are the soldered feeds. Another problem was lining up the fiddle yard roads accurately enough to avoid derailments.

I bought some brass screws and screwed them to the baseboard close to the outside of the rail. It pushed the rail in as it ran down and the rail then flicked back over the edge of the screw. I then adjusted the height to suit and soldered the rail to the screw - hey presto.

The alignment of the fiddle yard roads was hindered by the length I had allowed on the static section leading to the main board and the room between the roads at the four road end. Normal door latches were too big so I went for some Aluminium 'L' section held in line with a 'bulldog' clip.

The result - a much less stressful running session this week!

Here are the pictures - sorry about the soldering, but its holding fast, and only I (and you) will see it.

post-7097-0-68623900-1363026385.jpg

post-7097-0-47420200-1363026390.jpg

post-7097-0-10815600-1363026392.jpg

post-7097-0-73876000-1363026393.jpg

Cheers,

James

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I've finished painting my platform lights and I've added a sign to one of them. Pretty pleased with the results but you do have to be careful when manipulating these white metal items as I managed to break off one light when I was straightening it. Super glue to the rescue!

post-7097-0-59678800-1364493890.jpg

post-7097-0-47741900-1364493892.jpg

I've also made my free yard office scalescenes kit. I like the look of it for now and it matches the station building well. I've also added some Pikestuff railings to stop parked cars getting nicked by trains!

post-7097-0-87007000-1364493899.jpg

post-7097-0-43854300-1364493894.jpg

Now a question - I made a storage hut (not finished yet!) with the intention of using it on the siding a while ago but decided against it at the time. I tried it again the other day and now its growing on me. Trouble is I have the feeling it might not have been around in the seventies - unless I can invent an excuse!

Its a tight fit on width but once weathered I think it would break up the front of the layout a bit. I have older 12T vent vans and smaller wagons that could run - and maybe I could make it removable so that I could run newer wagons without it? Trouble is I would need to put some greenery around the support to blend it in - it would be easier to achieve with the hut permanently in place:

I'd be interested in your opinions:

post-7097-0-74293600-1364493888.jpg

post-7097-0-01033100-1364493896.jpg

post-7097-0-90011600-1364493897.jpg

Cheers,

James

James,

Looking really good! Have you thought about putting some shutter doors on the hut coming about half way down? You have the lorry there waiting to be loaded. Just a thought.

All the best

Andy

Hi all,

I've finished painting my platform lights and I've added a sign to one of them. Pretty pleased with the results but you do have to be careful when manipulating these white metal items as I managed to break off one light when I was straightening it. Super glue to the rescue!

attachicon.gifP1020348.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020351.JPG

I've also made my free yard office scalescenes kit. I like the look of it for now and it matches the station building well. I've also added some Pikestuff railings to stop parked cars getting nicked by trains!

attachicon.gifP1020359.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020355.JPG

Now a question - I made a storage hut (not finished yet!) with the intention of using it on the siding a while ago but decided against it at the time. I tried it again the other day and now its growing on me. Trouble is I have the feeling it might not have been around in the seventies - unless I can invent an excuse!

Its a tight fit on width but once weathered I think it would break up the front of the layout a bit. I have older 12T vent vans and smaller wagons that could run - and maybe I could make it removable so that I could run newer wagons without it? Trouble is I would need to put some greenery around the support to blend it in - it would be easier to achieve with the hut permanently in place:

I'd be interested in your opinions:

attachicon.gifP1020360.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020356.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020357.JPG

Cheers,

James

Layout looking Fantastic!!

The building itself loos great but it is a shame tha it s so tight.

If it is to stay, I would deffo say permanent as it will benefit from some 'growth' around the edges.

Perhaps try making a smaller building like a plate layers hut etc.....if it does the trick of breaking up the front scene then go with that, otherwise deffo keep the shed as its a real nice looking job! That's what I'd do at least.

Brilliant work so far :D

Regards

Lee

Archived