Humbrol Maroon?

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

I've had a search through the forum for this but cant see so thought I'd post a question!

Is there a Humbrol spray that matches BR Maroon? I know there are a couple of Halfords matches but just wondering if there is a suitable Humbrol colours

Thanks in advance

Hi Folks

I've had a search through the forum for this but cant see so thought I'd post a question!

Is there a Humbrol spray that matches BR Maroon? I know there are a couple of Halfords matches but just wondering if there is a suitable Humbrol colours

Thanks in advance

Hi,40something,

I looked into this some years ago as none of the so called BR coach maroon looked right to me.I settled on EWS maroon from Railmatch I think;either that or Precision.

regards,Roy.

Guest Max Stafford

Joe. Ford Burgundy red is a good match for BR maroon. Just watch out for orange peel when you're spraying it!

Dave.

There's a nice Humbrol red (will confirm number this evening, if not beaten to it). However, Humbrol sprays used to be pretty awful for spray pattern. Flicking paint towards the model with a toothbrush comes to mind - whether this has changed recently I don't know.

Preferred option for me is Halfords spray as per Dave's post (Rover Damask though), rubbed back lightly and a thin topcoat of the Humbrol by brush. Looks gorgeous (IMO).

Edit, Humbrol 20.

post-6670-0-90617300-1299324055_thumb.jpg

Not the best of shots, granted.

Roy@34EF :

I looked into this some years ago as none of the so called BR coach maroon looked right to me.

I was asked to assist Howes at the time when the company was formulating its range of Railmatch paints. The colour sample I submitted for LMS Crimson Lake/BR maroon came from Derby Works. It was applied (in matching cellulose) to all the late David Jenkinsons coaches and many of his locos. It also matched a recently recieved sample of the lake used on the NRM 'Crab'.

I have a jar of Railmatch by me (No.600) and while it looks to be a correct in the wet state, it unfortunately dries a little darker. This may be down to the fact that it is satin and not gloss.

I have used Halford Ford Burgundy red and it dries ever so slightly lighter than my paint but is nevertheless recommended.

As an aside, I remember sighting a 'Porthole' coach with lake ends, done when the LMR first went over to spray painting. It looked lighter and brighter than the rest of the train. This was born out on a video I was watching only this morning. So not all Lakes were the same, but they have to fit within a limited spectrum if one is to accurately replicate the things that went on 50-60 years ago on BR.

Hope this helps.

Guest Max Stafford

Not strictly to topic Larry, but do you have a source for the cellulose paints in normal ie non spray form?

I'd prefer to use them through the airbrush.

Thanks.

Dave.

Hi Folks

Thanks in advance

Hello Joe,

There is an excellent shade that is still in the Humbrol range - #20 Crimson. It's a gloss paint, but goes on superbly and I do believe is their original BR coach maroon from their erstwhile railway range. If rattlecans are your preferred medium, I think it is available in that form too, but don't quote me for sure! As Coachmann says, the Ford Burgundy is excellent, over a red primer, as is Ford Aporto Red. I remember trying out a Vauxhall colour years ago, but since getting an airbrush, I use enamels now.

However, Phoenix Precision do a "BR coach crimson" that is anything but what it is meant for. It's a nice satin finish and is almost exactly the same shade as the Humbrol one. As for their "BR coach maroon", forget it - it's darker than a dark thing in the dark.

HTH!

Guest 40-something

Thanks for the replies folks

I have been using Railmatch Maroon on some stock Im doing for a fellow club member, as I was visiting Model Zone yesterday I thought I'd ask this question as MZ sell Humbrol sprays. I have a can of Crimson at home, not used it yet though, I'll give that a test and compare with the Railmatch. Failing that I'll get myself to Halfords!

Guest 40-something

Thanks Coachmann

I've used Humbrol Brunswick Green spray with good results and use the spray varnishes, I use Halford black on my steam loco's and stock underframes, always get a good finish

Archived