Aligning a turntable fiddle yard.

I have just returned to the hobby after almost 20 years with the intention of building something that not only looks Ok but also functions well.

The baseboards are built for 12x2' running into a turntable type fiddle yard. All has gone together well and with parts posted Down Under from the UK the turntable works well.

The plan is for 6 tracks of SMP OO on the turntable around 3' 8'' long.

The big question is how to align the tracks and give electrical continuity.

I was planning on using the traditional barrel bolt into keeper technique but have baulked a little when I realised that I needed 2 bolts but 24 keepers! I cannot buy the keepers separately making it a rather expensive proposition.

Does anyone have alternative suggestions or any advice on how to fabricate 22 keepers at a reasonable cost and with minimal tools beyond hacksaws, drills and soldering iron?

Guest Natalie Graham

Solder a length of brass tube to a length of brass strip and then cut it into short lengths and drill some holes to fix the bits down with.

Solder a length of brass tube to a length of brass strip and then cut it into short lengths and drill some holes to fix the bits down with.

Thanks.

I had a vague idea along those lines.

Next trick is finding the right bits on line as I live in semi-rural Queensland, Australia.

How did we ever model before the internet unless living near a major centre in the UK (which I used to do- modelling ceased when I emigrated but I have just returned from 20 months in London which has kick started me again)

Mind you, it may be a bit difficult to find a 99p shop in rural Queensland - I guess they are a little bit few, and far, between

:sungum: True...I know where there is one in Muswell Hill!......but fortunately we do have $2 shops. 100mm bolts are $2 from which I reckon I can get at least 6 keepers, so with 2 x75mm for the alignment, a bit of judiciously 'tightening' of the keepers to remove slop, with a hammer!, then I reckon I can get away with it for around $12..............................7 pound 50 to you.

A good result so thank you to you all.

Archived