Detailing a Bachmann Manor

Hi

I have bought a Bachmann manor which is normally part of the Cambrian Coast Express set. I am going to change the loco in to a BR era loco but I want to detail the loco because certain part don’t look right on the model. What I need help with is where are the best places to get detailing packs from like new rods, tender wheels and what size the tender wheels are? Or even a new tender chassis and wheels? Just to make it look a bit better. If there is anything else that people could suggest that could be detailed that would make it look better that would be brilliant.

Many Thanks

Scott

Comet produce replacement loco and tender chassis and can supply Markit/Romfords to suit.

247 supply replacement chimneys, saftey valves etc. The challenge is you are dealing with a body moulding that was tooled over thirty years ago when polymers and moulds could not produce the fine detail that is known today. This is one loco that has been rumoured to be upgraded for some time, especially as the prototype shares the same frames as the GWR mogul, large prairies etc.

Some years back a Bachmann rep mentioned that they had started development of an 'up to date' Grange, which would have given them the power plant for all of the above, but Hornby beat them to it and they produced the Hall instead using the existing Modified Hall chassis.

For the amitious there is always the Mitchell kit which is spot on. If you prefer cast then there is the M&L version with nickel frames, the Nucast version with milled brass frames and finally the Bristol Models. Lots to choose from.

Those in the know within the GW Study Group are non too happy with the tender for total accuracy. Do not ask me why, though I understand that it has something to do with the frame shape, supports etc. When running at 50mph I am not sure anyone actually notices. Same sources have indicated that the forth coming Dukedog has an entirely new tender based on the more common type.

Towards the end of BR some Manors got tarted up a fair bit. And of course they double headed with Dukedogs - one for the future

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

Scott

With the design of the chassis i.e. split frame, replacing the loco wheels will require a new Comet (or similar) chassis and wheels and motor and to be honest you're talking the best part of £100 for that and you've still got an old body on top of that.The body isn't bad but as with others of its era, there's room for improvement.As coach bogie has said, 247 Dev are a good place to look for replacement chimneys, safety valves, whistles etc.Below the frames, Gibson and Comet (and probably others) can provide scale coupling rods and cylinders.Mainly Trains do a detailed chassis kit esp. for the Bachmann tender.They can also supply wheels to suit, Markits or Gibson, your choice.

http://www.mainlytrains.co.uk/acatalog/exp_mt100.htm

247 will also supply some nice etched name and number plates, should you want to change your prototype

Jamie

Available through David Geen, who will also supply the chassis frets on their own (I think the price comes out at about £55), or body etches on their own (call Dave for a quote).

Worth every penny, the etches are fantastic!

Mike

Archived