Bachmann standard 37 with sound

jimgti0

Hi all,

I've just purchased my first sound loco a class 37 from Bachmann the trouble is that some of the features don't work I'm using a ez command controller. I know this is just a basic controller but surely all the functions should work? also they are a bit random as the horn goes when starting up! is this normal or do i need to upgrade my controller?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Welcome to world of DCC sound ! once hooked it does tend to get expensive ;-)

Although the EZ controller has a limited number of function buttons, you should be able to use them. As far as the horn sounding on start up, that's because it was still switched on when shut-down/stopping. The function buttons "latch" on when pushed, until a further push turns them off. Which 37 have you purchased ? the latest ones tend to have more functions than the early ones, some of which may be beyond the scope of the EZ. Certain sound functions ie Horns/coupling/buffer-clash/whistle etc work better with more advanced controllers, which have the option to make function buttons "momentary" ie to only work when pushed, switching off on release.

HTH

do i need to upgrade my controller?

Yes you do. The Bachmann EZ Command Station uses non-NMRA commands and is designed as a toy trainset controller. The chip in the sound loco is vastly more complicated than that and will require a command station that is fully NMRA compliant.

It is a given that the trainset market should be avoided.

Recommendations would be the Bachmann Dynamis, the Digitrax Zephyr and the NCE Pro Cab. All of them are capable of upgrading for more power if needed later.

It is very useful to have a controller that tells you on screen which functions are on and which are off. Momentary contact is normally only available on F2 and is really for steam whistles and US diesel horns. Only Dynamis in the above list offers the ability to change any function to momentary contact.

The Bachmann sound chip, if an original RTR and bought new, will be capable of being re-blown with new sounds if you wish but will be set to allow you to literally put it on the track and run it although these sound chips do need some tweaking and a degree of driving technique to get them sounding just right.

If the loco was bought second hand then it will be anyone's guess as to what you actually have and whether it has been tweaked or not.

Archived