diesel fueling depot

hello everyone,my names dave ive been poping in and out of the forums for some time now,getting loads of info for my layout.ive seen lots of feuling stations /depots on your great layouts and was wondering wot a depot /station looked like when diesels were first introduced way back when,any help would be gratful thanks

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave. Welcome.

The Bradford Barton book series on Diesels has some good depot pics. These books seen often at sales for a couple of quid.

If you don't get a lot of response get back to me P.M. and I'll dig out a couple of my depot pics.

P @ 36E

Greetings Dave and welcome aboard.

When diesels were first introduced in the late 'fifties, they had to share space with the army of steam locos that were the railways' staple motive power. As a result what you basically had was a haphazard set of facilities for a time - several years in many places - until custom-built diesel servicing accommodation was constructed.

So, imagine ash-filled pits and overflowing coal heaps piled between stabling roads, with improvised fuelling bowsers and compounds for red and yellow barrels of lubricating and hydraulic/ hydrostatic oil squeezed in where practical/ possible.

If you visit many of the excellent Flickr collections, or the extremely high quality Railscot site's photo gallery you will see plenty of green diesels without any warning panels, in residence at plenty of steam sheds.

If you're unsure of what depot names there were in the so-called 'transition' period, you could visit this website. http://www.railuk.info/steam/steamshed_search.php

Happy hunting.

Archived