Crewe Station

60maniac

Right I don't no whether this is the right place to ask but...while recently at the station i got chatting to a guy about the old DMD situated south of the station he was saying that they are going to remove it and replace it with a new rail mail hub as DBS have recently won the contract for 5 years of GBRF and also he was saying if any of you no it the horse landing is/or was going to be reopened for mail traffic now is this true or just 'speculation' as they have been fiddling around with the wires and track on that side of the station so could someone please put the story right or is it right ? I visit the station quite alot so I would like to know whats going on.Many Thanks Richard :)

• RMweb Gold

Right I don't no whether this is the right place to ask but...while recently at the station i got chatting to a guy about the old DMD situated south of the station he was saying that they are going to remove it and replace it with a new rail mail hub as DBS have recently won the contract for 5 years of GBRF and also he was saying if any of you no it the horse landing is/or was going to be reopened for mail traffic now is this true or just 'speculation' as they have been fiddling around with the wires and track on that side of the station so could someone please put the story right or is it right ? I visit the station quite alot so I would like to know whats going on.Many Thanks Richard :)

Sounds like speculation to me - the RMT is at Warrington and there is also one at Stafford.

The horse landing is currently connected from one end only and would need a fair bit of investment to reinstate to a flexible level (road and rail wise).

I spoke to my mate in Network Rail and he couldn't find anything.

The RMTs are not owned by the rail companies otherwise there would be a stranglehold, so all in all sounds like enthusiasts musings - although never say never - it could be that a new hub is to be built by the RM.

hth

Sounds like speculation to me - the RMT is at Warrington and there is also one at Stafford.

The horse landing is currently connected from one end only and would need a fair bit of investment to reinstate to a flexible level (road and rail wise).

I spoke to my mate in Network Rail and he couldn't find anything.

The RMTs are not owned by the rail companies otherwise there would be a stranglehold, so all in all sounds like enthusiasts musings - although never say never - it could be that a new hub is to be built by the RM.

hth

Thanks for the reply,there are a lot of plans floating around saying the sorting office at Crewe is to be gone and a new station concourse built there so their looking for somewhere else it just seemed a bit coincidental that DBS won the contract and the wires being put up then someone turning round and saying the DMD being knocked down for an RMT im making another trip to Crewe on saturday so will be taking some pictures of the horse landing and surrounding areas to make up a portfolio of the place before its either gone or revamped there is still track in situ on the horse landing there's just a walkway built out of rubber and scaffolding in the way which i suppose couldn't be that hard to take out and open up the other through line which is there Thanks again Richard

Thanks for the reply,there are a lot of plans floating around saying the sorting office at Crewe is to be gone and a new station concourse built there so their looking for somewhere else it just seemed a bit coincidental that DBS won the contract and the wires being put up then someone turning round and saying the DMD being knocked down for an RMT im making another trip to Crewe on saturday so will be taking some pictures of the horse landing and surrounding areas to make up a portfolio of the place before its either gone or revamped there is still track in situ on the horse landing there's just a walkway built out of rubber and scaffolding in the way which i suppose couldn't be that hard to take out and open up the other through line which is there Thanks again Richard

I read somewhere, other forum/magazine/whatever, that the area was being re-wired so that DBS could stable 325's there when they take over the contract. Whether that includes the erstwhile diesel depot I have no idea, but I understood the building was declared unsafe shortly after it closed, despite the fact they store locos inside and move them in and out occasionally :rolleyes:

I read somewhere, other forum/magazine/whatever, that the area was being re-wired so that DBS could stable 325's there when they take over the contract. Whether that includes the erstwhile diesel depot I have no idea, but I understood the building was declared unsafe shortly after it closed, despite the fact they store locos inside and move them in and out occasionally :rolleyes:

O right that's why the bloke might of said its going then so it looks like there gonna be stabled were they were originally stored then all sorts has been down there over the years 90s the 325s all sorts.....

• RMweb Gold

theres all sorts of speculation about the station, moving it to basford hall, concorse where the royal mail sorting office now even a multi story carpark where the diesel depot is now, seems to be astory about it every week in the local paper!!

Archived