SDR Gala

D1041

It's the South Devon Railway Diesel gala today. Class 33 in 'Dutch' livery, Class 37 (back from Norfolk) in green with full yellow ends for the last time before re-paint, Class 20 in green after repaint and class 25 in green with yellow warning panels. Plus the bubblecar and 09 in action. Should be a good day all-round, including the weather. Real ale available too on all trains.

The weather was fantastic all day and the locos were looking great. 8110 was resplendent in its new green coat.

post-6440-0-34134800-1320600630_thumb.jpg

The full effect of a BR diesel day in the 60s-70s was recreated, right down to the mayhem that ensued when a loco failed.

8110 first failed at Totnes when departing with the 1047 to Buckfastleigh. There was a 45 min delay while D7612 was brought from the train on the other diagram, to pilot the train. It later failed again at Riverford Bridge, when sent out as the sole engine on the 1345 from Buckfastleigh. This time D7612 was borrowed from the other diagram to pull the train to the Bishop's Bridge loop, before going back to its own train and taking it on to Buckfastleigh. Then 6737 was brought from Buckfastleigh to pilot the train to Totnes and back. Classic farce, with little explanation from staff about what was going on. A great value day out.

From your picture it doesn't look like there was many people about which is a shame.

This shot was as 0950. It actually got really busy, especially around midday. Not just enthusiasts either: even regular members of the travelling public.

I was going to drag the wifey and 2 kids up but with no idea about ticket prices anywhere on the website we went elsewhere instead that DOES advertise its prices.

Pity really I am quite getting into these green diesels.

I was going to drag the wifey and 2 kids up but with no idea about ticket prices anywhere on the website we went elsewhere instead that DOES advertise its prices.

Pity really I am quite getting into these green diesels.

It's not easy to spot their pricing. You have to click on the 'timetable' button on their website to bring up the leaflet. The pricing is quite reasonable eg £29.80 for the standard 2+2 kids 5-14 (under 5s are free). That gets you a day rover ticket, so at least you only pay once.

It's not easy to spot their pricing. You have to click on the 'timetable' button on their website to bring up the leaflet. The pricing is quite reasonable eg £29.80 for the standard 2+2 kids 5-14 (under 5s are free). That gets you a day rover ticket, so at least you only pay once.

Well thats £30 they are down then, plus food/ drinks and probably a trip to the model shop, but with some of the lines charging over £50 just for a ride I wasnt going to take the chance.

Edit

Found it but I had to look twice even following Western Princes directions, not exactly a brilliant set up.

Archived