Dapol ND112c - Class 156 National Express East Anglia

justin1985

What happened to this model?

As I remember it, this was meant to be a class 156 in Central Trains livery, but with National Express East Anglia white stripes, as used when they were first transferred to replace Anglia's old cl.150s. According to Hattons it represents 156419, but has been "on order" for ever. I can't find it in the 2011 Dapol catalogue though - was it actually a hangover from the 2010 catalogue that never got released? Has it actually been abandoned, or can we expect it at some point?

Cheers

Justin

Hi Justin,

yes we announced the 156 in Nex EA, got permission and even got the full artwork files for the livery.

the problem then started that not many (1 or 2) were pained as such, so leaving us with a predicament to produce a possibly short lived livery (remember about the same time the East Coast franchise was removed form them) or not.

Based on 156 sales we decided , for the better in my opinion, not to do the Nex EA 156.

Hope this helps

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for clearing this up - I really appreciate you taking the time to clarify it. However, might it be a good idea to notify retailers that it has been cancelled - Hattons are still accepting pre-orders on this model (or have they been notified but Hattons just haven't acted on it)?

Another livery I was expecting\hoping for was "Sprinter Express" - I believe used by Central Trains to try and make their 156s blend in with the 158 fleet when the route was first franchised. Did I imagine it, or was this announced at one point?

800px-156_unit_in_Coventry_2000.JPG

(Wiki commons)

Cheers

Justin

• RMweb Premium

Hasn't the Class 156 being a popular product and reached sales volumes?

It is a shame the underframe is a bit boxy (compared to more recent DMU models), but it still was a huge leap forward from the Farish Class 158. Indeed I hope somebody does retool the Class 158, because other than in the South East, its a DMU that goes everywhere else on the network, and likely to be around for a long time yet.

Hasn't the Class 156 being a popular product and reached sales volumes?

The first batch of provincial liveried stock was vastly over subscribed, but some of the privatisation ones seem to hang around a bit. I still have a need for more Provincial/RR/Scotrail units but not really anything newer at the mo. Seems to be a common comment.

This may sound like a stuck record but it would help if Dapol listed all the announced models and noted if they are completed, pending, cancelled or replaced.

Hi Bomag,

good idea about the list, and its an easy one to do as well........

Everything still outstanding on class 156 liveries has been cancelled, and will be reviewed as 'possibilities' one we re-look at the model in the future.

At the moment i do not have any thoughts on re-introducing the 156 or even the 153 for a goodly few years.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Given the quantities of the more "esoteric" liveried 156s and some 153s which still seem to be about (e.g. first Group but with Northern branding, the 153 in First North Western livery but with Transpennine branding) I can understand that decision, and its good to have the clarification.

However, I think if further models are cancelled (like the NXEA model), this really should be communicated to retailers in such a way that they remove the listings as soon as the decision is made. The NXEA 156, for example, is still pre-orderable with a status of "soon" with both Rails of Sheffield and Hattons!

If the 153 and 156 make a return in a few years time, perhaps they might have upgraded underframes to the standard of the 121?

Cheers

Justin

• RMweb Premium

I'd have thought Scotrail, NEX Scotrail Whoosh, First Scotrail and the current Scotrail Saltaire liveries would have potential. Anything Scottish seems to sell well. . . . .

If it looks like no more 156s and 153s for a few years, I'd better stock up on Northern Rail sets while I can :O

Guess it will be the same for the 142 when that makes its debut. . . . I do understand that for the modern tooling technology uses softer metals than steel, so the tools soon wear, and need of rework / replacement to keep the mouldings sharp. So a reasonable invest if another run of the model is to be made, the seller has to sure that investment is recovered with some profit.

Anything Scottish seems to sell well. . . . .

No, sorry, afraid i need to disagree with you there.

our 156 bombed in Carmine and Cream livery

mind you our 26's have sold well though.

As for modern tooling technology? no sorry, wrong again, i call this tight a***d spending by those that use it.

Dapol only and will only use hardened steeel, not cheap steel where we mnight only make 4-5000 or Aluminium tooling (yes really) and anything that will not give us a long life with our tooling without detail degredation.

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Dave

For what it is worth I think you are probably right about the NXEA decision!

The carmine and cream choice was always a bit of an oddity - SPT limits it a bit in terms of geography and I can't help feeling the orange version might have sold better!

For the 156 the livery that (IMHO) is crying out to be done is Scotrail ie this: http://members.madasafish.com/~dysgraphyk/156/class156_liv-scr.htm

Think of all the Kyle line and West Highland line modellers that would appeal to (as well as other parts of Scotland).

Cheers, Mike

mmmmmmmmmmmmm agreed to a point, but trust me, i have approached Scotrail for permission countless (and i mean countless) times but they have never had the common courtesy of gettting back to me.

They are truly awful. Ive even written to them via their published contact us addy, AND got a reference number and a promise that under their charter they would get back to me within 14 days (i have 5 e-mails dfrom them at the moment, all awaiting a single courtesy reply). I have approcached the ight people at shows who have taken details and still had no contact from them.

They do not have a particulaly good name within the industry for this tyoe of thing, thats for sure, or i'd have considerd the Saltire livery too.

You'd be surprised how bad some of these companies are with P.R., and you wonder how some of their staff in charge of these things are still in jobs!!!

sorry but this is all verifyable so shouldnt fall foul (i hope) of Andy's rules.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Maybe its my misconception on all things Scottish! Its good to hear the Class 26 is selling well and recouping the investment made.

Again I think your possibly right with the decision regarding the NEXA livery. Its a small fleet of units which are geographically quite limited, which is probably more to the point. I'd guess there is a relationship between the sphere of operation and how popular a livery with modellers. Unless the units get spread far and wide in a reshuffle between TOCs :-s

I'm the sure the Class 56 will do well too. Quite wide spread operation and operational period, quite a few liveries to exercise and will look great with 36 HAAs in tow!

In the OO world it was weird how the Scottish Whoosh livery on the Lima 156 was commanding abserd prices on one point. That said thinking about it, the Hornby 156 in First Scotrail and Saltaire livery doesn't seem to be moving fast from my local model shop, nor did the First Scotrail 158 either until it was discounted a little. But then I'm in Yorkshire, so not too surprising! The Northern Rail liveries seem to have sold well locally (except for the Farish 158, which hardly anyone will touch because of price and lack of DCC plus lights, interior detail etc (although in fairness it is dimensionally quite accurate). Indeed the 158 is more expensive than recent Dapol or Farish DMUs hmmm.

Looking at the current position of the franchises, the next big round of refranchising is the end of 2013 and into 2014. So at the moment its fairly unlikely we'll see any new liveries for the 156 and 153. Once that's all sorted out there will be another round of new paint schemes, so ideally time to capitalise with these models.

From all I read the next big change for these DMUs is new engines and transmissions (see Modern Railways Informed Sources articles). There is no appetite in the ROSCOs to buy new DMUs (like the Class 172), because of the likely cost of diesel beyond 2040! The only other mod is compliance with the PRM TSI regulations so they (Class 150/153/155/156/158/159) can work beyond 2020. This might see 153s reformed into 155s (see Rail 681, pp.48-51).

Good to hear hardened steel is used for the tooling, and hence long life. Now only if I'd gone to Loughborough for my first degree, then i would have had access to some injection moulding equipment and a workshop, plus first hand experience of tooling!

Its great you contribute on hear Dave, and keep us all straight :D

Cheers,

Rich

Dave

SPT limits it a bit in terms of geography and I can't help feeling the orange version might have sold better!

For the 156 the livery that (IMHO) is crying out to be done is Scotrail ie this: http://members.madasafish.com/~dysgraphyk/156/class156_liv-scr.htm

Think of all the Kyle line and West Highland line modellers that would appeal to (as well as other parts of Scotland).

Cheers, Mike

In terms of perception, maybe. But in factual terms it shouldn't limit it's use - as far as I've ever heard, Corkerhill paid no heed to livery particularly in crimson/cream days when there was no ownership distinctions (dayglo 156s were SPTE funded, however crimson/cream spread far beyond those ten or so units). As with the SPT liveried turbostars, crimson/cream 156s ran far and wide on Scotrail 156 duties, so it should have had similar (equal?) appeal to the NatEx and First Scotrail liveries.

other than in the South East, its a DMU that goes everywhere else on the network

Not the South West either, nor (generally speaking) South Wales...

good idea about the list, and its an easy one to do as well........

I also reckon that's a good idea - if it helps this is how Atlas deal with it in the US - nice and easy to see what's due, what's arrived and when.

http://www.atlasrr.com/ordership.htm

HTH

• RMweb Premium

I hope the decision to cancel further liveries of the class 156 doesn't carry over to the class 142s. Most of the Pacer liveries so far are privatisation era ones and don't help anyone modelling the period when they were first introduced. I'm aware that the passenger doors were changed at some point but I'll be very disapointed if we don't see GMPTE orange/brown or provincial blue liveries within a couple of years of the model first arriving in the shops.

Finger crossed.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Frankly this is a pet hate of mine and of my circle of modelling friends. Anounce models in certain liveries, get shops and modellers at primed, taking deposits/orders and then just cancel.

If you're not sure you're going to release a model/livery then for pete's sake don't annouce it!

If you're not sure you're going to release a model/livery then for pete's sake don't annouce it!

While I agree that it is annoying, if a manufacturer is not certain if a model will sell they may as well test the market to see how popular it is with the public and retailers. The caveat to that is if there there is only a limited amount of interset it is anounced that its canned.

An axample is that even with the many B1s floating arround there may be a desire for one of the preserved ones in the current livery/condition. I know several poeple who would consider getting one of these but not one of the existing ones. Whether there are enough modlers who want one to justify producing one is uncertain, but im may be woth testing the market.

• 1 month later...

Not being funny but if teh more common liveries were picked then perhaps they would sell better?

The provincial livery is hard to come by.

original Strathcldye

first barbie. can be used for fnw and scot rail

central

scot rail swoosh

regional railways north west etc.

northern seems to be the only well catered for livery.

so now I'm in the position that electra railway graphics will be making lots of money. good for them not for Dapol though.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm really glad I found this thread. I have been waiting for the release of this livery, and whilst I did stocks of the model in other variants were being sold out. That no more 153/156's will be produced for some years was also interesting to discover.

Lucky to find it now, I've just ordered a regional railways one from Hatton's since these appeared to last in this livery for some years around the North East Essex/South Suffolk area.

Why Hatton's are still taking orders for this now aborted NXEA version I can't understand. I wonder how many pre-orders they have.

Izzy

Archived