If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

GW in East Yorks

aberdare

Hi everyone

I joined in the last two weeks and have spent a good bit of time browsing the site and getting to know whats what. I started modelling in the late seventies, stopped in 84 and started again in 2002 until 04.

I model the GWR circa 1905 and have previously started two layouts of Tiverton Junction and Hemyock but on both occasions have had to break them up to to job changes and house moves. Now that I have had to retire early to be a carer for 'er indoors' I have finally put down roots and intend to finish what I start.

It may be some time away as I first have to replace the tatty old garage with something new, but I am getting on with some kit building in the meantime. I have box-fulls of them so won't get bored.

I get a bit of stick from my local LNER modellers but it is taken in good heart as we all like to share in what we do.

i hope to participate regularly if time allows, in the meantime I need to catch up with that straight framed Saint I started back in the 80's

All the best

Jim

Welcome aberdare,

It's nice to see a fellow GW modeller, esp. one who does something a bit different.

1905 is possibly one of the best livery periods, Indian red frames and ornate coach

lining, etc.[although post WW1 does confuse some!]

What sort of layout are you going for, and how much space do you have at your

disposal?

Keep us updated, and don't forget the pics!

Cheers, Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to RMweb, Jim, I'm sure you'll never look back.

I'll echo Jeff: Great to see another GWR modeller here. We share the same timeframe, so am really looking forward to following your kits and layout. A staight-framed Saint sounds pretty good!

Thanks jeff and mikkel

At the moment I have a 16' x 8' garage which is not ideal. I hope to replace it with a 20 x 10 within 18 months. In the meantime I am thinking of starting a few small sections that I can build and then store for the change-over. The building of the locos and stock will always be the winter time projects and I have plenty of those.

You are right about the livery Jeff which is why I chose this period. My father modelled the thirties as that was the period he grew up in, but once I saw the variety of stock between Dean and Churchward I was hooked. If I have one regret over the years it is not buying the 2-4-0 River class when it was out, it was an engine I thought was great when I first saw a picture of it.

I'll have to get the camera out later, unwrap a few models and get the pics on.

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

You don't say what part of East Yorks. Are you a member of the GWSG? There is a north east group who meet monthly and occasionally talk railways. We're mainly based around Teesside with a couple in Gosforth. Most of us model.

Langtoft. A small village between Driffield and Scarborough. I am not a member of any Society as I have only just started to get back into the hobby, this site was one of my first contacts to find out what was happening. I hope to get back into visiting shows probably starting with York next year or maybe Doncaster, I remember picking up some bargains there on my last visit several years ago.

Hi everyone

I model the GWR circa 1905 and have previously started two layouts of Tiverton Junction and Hemyock but on both occasions have had to break them up to to job changes and house moves. Now that I have had to retire early to be a carer for 'er indoors' I have finally put down roots and intend to finish what I start.

I get a bit of stick from my local LNER modellers but it is taken in good heart as we all like to share in what we do.

Langtoft. A small village between Driffield and Scarborough. I am not a member of any Society as I have only just started to get back into the hobby, this site was one of my first contacts to find out what was happening.

Hi Jim,

We at Hull MRS (about half an hour away from you) have a few poor misguided souls who model the "Green Weird Railway". You would be welcome to visit any Monday or Thursday Evening. Map and directions to the Clubrooms are on the club website www.hullmrs.org

Paul

Archived