N gauge question.

This would need a radius of a bit less than 9in to turn the track around on the short side. Some N gauge stock will work on a 9in radius curve - you'd probalby be OK with small locos and short wagons - but larger items will look very odd going round, or may not go round at all. Most stuff will work on 12in radius which would need a board about 26in wide.

Thanks for your advice, 26in would be more sensible, maybe even a typical 6ft by 4ft would be better. That's normally adequate for 00gauge starters so N I would have a field day planning the trackplan.

Just a few thoughts for the winter.

I would second that 6'x4' would be enough space to fit a good N gauge layout onto. There was an article earlier in the year in Railway modeller where they took some of CJ Freezer's old plans for 00 layouts on a 6'x4' board. They then converted them to N gauge but in the same space. The result was 3 layouts with lots of operating potential but much more scenic space and capacity for better length trains.

I will see if I can dig out the issue in question.

Hi, that's sounds good. Yes lots more space to fill I've just finished constructing a 2x4 instead of 4x6. Due to lack of room. It's your typical oval shape, not normally my style but it's going good, split down the middle for fiddle yard and then scenic section devided by 2 separate bridges/tunnels. Will post a project thread with pictures in due course. Nice to get stuck into something new again.

Archived