Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Portable Modelling Kit - Trains on Planes

Just wondering if anyone has ever taken a portable modelling kit on a train, got a week in a hotel next week in Finland and was thinking it would be a good opportunity to get some stuff done.

So I've got a Farish peak to work on so its not going to be big.

Just need to take a few modelling odds and ends to get the job done.

So first question is do railway models attract attention in hand luggage at airports? I guess so but just wondering about others experiences.

Secondly if I wanted to take scalpel blades with me is it OK to put them in my hold lauggage rather than my cabin luggage?

Just wondering if anyone has ever taken a portable modelling kit on a train, got a week in a hotel next week in Finland and was thinking it would be a good opportunity to get some stuff done.

So I've got a Farish peak to work on so its not going to be big.

Just need to take a few modelling odds and ends to get the job done.

So first question is do railway models attract attention in hand luggage at airports? I guess so but just wondering about others experiences.

Secondly if I wanted to take scalpel blades with me is it OK to put them in my hold lauggage rather than my cabin luggage?

I have taken a box of modelling tools on a plane in checked-in-to-hold-baggage, no probs.

On another flight, a full toolbox of professional electronic tools too.

I definitely would expect confiscation and potential detention with scalpel blades in the cabin carry-on stuff. :nono:

They would have my support when locking me up too! :O

Never had any real problem, but put sharps in your checked baggage.

I once hand-carried an RSU back to South America, where I lived at the time, which attracted some attention at security in London and Miami - electronics in a metal box and all that - but no hassle when explained.

And I came back from a couple of months in Romania with a biscuit tin full of bits of track, sprung bogies etc that I had taken to work on - again just needed to show them, some bemused expressions but no problem.

Main thing is not to take any tools that could be interpreted as dangerous in hand luggage (not just knives and blades, but scribers, broaches, even needle files).

Always put all tools/sharps etc in hold luggage, as explained above.

I always take a small plastic toolbox filled with modelling tools and a couple of kits with me when on holiday (just in case!).

I always follow a fairly rigid routine like this;

Scalpel, needle files, other long, sharp 'pointy' things go in their own compartment. Pliers (various), modelling hammer, big file, mini hand drill, etc, etc all packed neatly as possible in bottom of box, no need for individual wrapping!

Any glues etc, ensure top is tightly closed, then place whole tube in a (resealable "food" type) plastic bag. Then repeat, for added protection against leaks!

Pack out the rest of the box with the likes of socks, Tee-shirt, a towel etc - to prevent any movement within the box itself and finally, tape up the box with parcel tape and place in hold luggage!

Any kits also in hold luggage!

The only thing I would recommend taking on board an aircraft would be a good book or magazine!

Have a good time!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Likewise taken all sorts of stuff on planes, but checked in hold baggage and packed as above. Even included a half bottle of solvent for plastic kits. Nowadays, my flights tend to be carry-on baggage only, so no chance of anything remotely sharp or dangerous.

Instead I take my laptop and do some "e-modelling", sorting and researching my photos or drawing plans for example. Many places now have free wi-fi, so that's used as required.

I know I'm away on holiday, but there's always the odd bit of spare time to catch up on a couple of projects.

Cheers,

Mick

Always put all tools/sharps etc in hold luggage, as explained above.

I always take a small plastic toolbox filled with modelling tools and a couple of kits with me when on holiday (just in case!).

I always follow a fairly rigid routine like this;

Scalpel, needle files, other long, sharp 'pointy' things go in their own compartment. Pliers (various), modelling hammer, big file, mini hand drill, etc, etc all packed neatly as possible in bottom of box, no need for individual wrapping!

Any glues etc, ensure top is tightly closed, then place whole tube in a (resealable "food" type) plastic bag. Then repeat, for added protection against leaks!

Pack out the rest of the box with the likes of socks, Tee-shirt, a towel etc - to prevent any movement within the box itself and finally, tape up the box with parcel tape and place in hold luggage!

Any kits also in hold luggage!

The only thing I would recommend taking on board an aircraft would be a good book or magazine!

Have a good time!

Cheers,

John E.

Yes, that is how I travel for holidays as well. Only even had one finished kit damaged on the way home - not packed well enough. I wrap loo paper around them within the boxes (which in 7mm restricts what kits are suitable to take - Peco kits are lovely, but the boxes are useless). I've never taken paints, but always have a selection of glues without any problems. Mind, I have not done any of this through the USA. It is restrictive - soldering is out, and I've never bothered to take a small power tool, although I cannot see that would be a problem. But these are more because they are not so useful on a beach!

The biggest problem is finding anything that gets dropped!

Paul Bartlett

Having spilt super glue over my jeans I fully agree with what Paul has said (for you non believers!).

If in doubt, dont take it.

There are random checks in the US where bags are opened and not in your presence, the first you will be aware is a printed sheet inside your case.

We do the same here, Finland and the other Scandinavian countries no doubt will too...so use common sense and if in doubt, DONT :)

In a somewhat more relaxed period, my wife repaired a fellow-traveller's headphones during a flight to Latin America; she soldered them with a small gas-powered soldering iron! She was on the way to give a training course at a Central American television station, and was flying with Iberia; their reputation for mislaying baggage was not good, so people were advised to pack anything they thought essential as hand luggage.

Good points above about super-glues!

I have once or twice burnt myself when using my 'Hafix' cyanoacrylate, which I believe is a 'pure' version! Didn't know that it can combust other substances though! Phew!

I'm not a chemist, especially not a chemist specifically trained in this type of material and it's effects on other materials (nor, I suspect, are the vast majority of the rest of us modellers) and I've studied the information sheets that come with most of my glues, yet I don't recall warnings about this kind of thing?

I thought I was well qualified in the use of super-glues (and am largely successful with them), now I feel quite ignorant of what they really are capable of!

More research required?

Cheers,

John E.

I used to build model buses for my Dad, a former bus driver, and never got them completely finished in time for my trip to England, so there would usually be a small tool kit along with the model in my checked baggage.

One trip involved a backhaul from Schiphol to Manchester, as that had been the cheapest option. As a single male arriving at Manchester from Amsterdam I attracted the attention of customs and was asked to open my suitcase. The toolkit attracted some attention, but what was of most interest was the small bottle of Microglaze.

As I was in no rush, I proceeded to cut into the official's coffee break by explaining at great length what everything was used for etc etc. Well, she started it! :)

I've had quite a lot of fun with models in hotel rooms but at my age I've had to give it up :) I can't really carry the necessary lighting to see what I am doing, so it's usually just e-modelling or endlessly refining the layout plan that one day might be built.

I've done a fair bit of assembling, weathering and painting of plastic buildings while stuck in various hotels (acrylic paint so washes away with water and applied by brush I hasten to add). However these have all been in the UK and reached by train so I can't comment on baggage restrictions. I suspect soldering would be ruled out either by the smoke detectors or by the threat these days of a huge surcharge to clean the room if they think you have been smoking.

Archived