Looking back at Warships

robertcwp

I bought a copy of 'Looking back at Warships' by Kevin Derrick (Strathwood, 96pp £19.95) today at the Tolworth show. This book includes a colour photo of each of the 76 Warships (5 D600 and 71 D800) plus more photos such that I think every livery variation is included (though not each variation for each class member, which would be next to impossible to do in colour). Some were photographed only rarely, which must have made it a stiff challenge to find colour photos of each one. Whilst there are a few photos that are not of the best quality, most are very good and the reproduction looks good too. Should be a useful reference source.

Been looking forward to this one, thanks for the heads up Robert. Definitely on the shopping list for Warley next weekend. I read your post on the WRDHL Group regarding the new Irwell Pres Warship book, it's a pity the colour rendition isn't up to scratch but you can never have too many Warship books can you!

Colour shots of certain Warships are very scarce, as some of them only carried a particular variation of a livery for a relatively short period. 863 in blue is one of the 'holy grail' pictures, as is 830 in it's second version of blue with full yellow ends.

;)

Robert,

You probably already have all the existing Warship books, so is this a collection of new photos, or have these photos turned up in previous volumes? I suppose a second question might be, are these the colour versions of the black and white photos you already have?

Regards,

Pete

I recognise a handful of the photos but I think the vast majority have not been in books previously. A few others might have been in magazines.

There is a photo of D830 in blue with full yellow ends and one of D863 in blue, albeit withdrawn.

One or two shots are virtually identical to ones in my collection because the photographer (Norman Preedy) often took two slides at a time and one of the originals has ended up with me and the other with someone else. This also applies to one or two images in the Irwell book.

Archived