Adventures in Octagons: OO time wasting

Satan's Goldfish

On the plus side, at least no stock was damaged.

Sometimes when we've been struggling on with something that we aren't totally happy with but strive regardless in the hope of some kind of breakthrough, it needs a 'clean start' like this to get us going again and learn from the last attempt's failures (boards not rigid enough, wrong size/not wide enough, should have built open frame style, track laid badly or wrongly, that annoying electrical fault you just can't seem to cure, etc etc) to make this one even better.

I've certainly enjoyed following your deliberations, even if I don't have the room I really want myself to be able to build a "roundy roundy" in this manner with my N gauge stock (even 5ft diameter is a problem sadly) but one day, when we move, and I get a shed or a garage etc etc...

Will you be at Tonbridge with Warren Lane?  If so, I hope to pop along and will say hi.

I think the Ideas are the most salvageable things, but i need to come up with something i can work on more easily and regularly really. The idea of using 2 8x4s cut to shape seems good and would make it slightly smaller so there's more cance of leaving it up.

The flooding problems are due to the sewage pump house next door failing, very long story and will just make me angry if i think about it! I really hope it either gets sorted or we get moved soon.

I should be at Tonbridge but i'm due to be operated on on Feb 14th (Happy Valentines day to me!) so i'm hoping the wife still lets me out to play afterwards. If not then i definately will be at Train West either way.

The only problem of cutting 8x4 sheets like that is it's very wasteful on wood, giving you a lot of offcuts to play with.  As I think I said previously, looking at a 5ft diameter N gauge octagon it was more economical to get it cut into eight 2ft x 1ft sections and then permanently attaching a pair to turn it into four sections for simple transportation.

Obviously working in OO you have different dimensions to the boards, but the principle remains - as long as you have 8 boards all the same size and each is cut in at a 22.5 degree angle either end, it will make an octagonal layout which gives lots of potential for a good use of space - including two storage yards taking up almost half the board each, then gentle inclines around 1/4 of the layout to come up to an "upper" level which can be scenicked almost 180 degrees if you want to play that way, although of course you will need some tunnels or bridges or something to hide the transition from upper to lower level.

Hope to catch up with you at Tonbridge if you are allowed "out to play" - but suggest leave the heavy lifting to others!

Its a very black weekend Matt.

Take it easy

Alan

I'm anticipating a few days of upset belly, just like last time. Joy.

Hope Warren Lane got back with no more issues and wish Dan and Mick all the best from us here please Alan, flooding is a minor issue in comparison.

The only problem of cutting 8x4 sheets like that is it's very wasteful on wood, giving you a lot of offcuts to play with.  As I think I said previously, looking at a 5ft diameter N gauge octagon it was more economical to get it cut into eight 2ft x 1ft sections and then permanently attaching a pair to turn it into four sections for simple transportation.

Obviously working in OO you have different dimensions to the boards, but the principle remains - as long as you have 8 boards all the same size and each is cut in at a 22.5 degree angle either end, it will make an octagonal layout which gives lots of potential for a good use of space - including two storage yards taking up almost half the board each, then gentle inclines around 1/4 of the layout to come up to an "upper" level which can be scenicked almost 180 degrees if you want to play that way, although of course you will need some tunnels or bridges or something to hide the transition from upper to lower level.

Hope to catch up with you at Tonbridge if you are allowed "out to play" - but suggest leave the heavy lifting to others!

It'll be a while before i can start again on anything, so lots of planning time! I've still got 8 good sets of legs here so i can't waste that oppotunity ;-)

Said goodbye to the boards yesterday as they left with all the other ruined bits and pieces. Got some initial ideas in my head for a replacement but i'll start a new thread for all that when it's progressed a little further. So that's the end of this one!

Look forward to seeing how things develop... there aren't enough octagonal or round layouts on the exhibition circuit, particularly ones that give almost 360 degree viewing entertainment :)

I'd build one, if only I had the room.  But one day, one day...

Don't forget to put a link to your new thread here so we don't miss it.

Will do. I think i have a bit of a dislike for fiddle yards (the real system doesn't have them after all, stuff gets parked in sidings instead!) so 360 viewing is always going to happen with whatever i come up with. The trick seems to be coming up with something different.....

You could always put your track in a drainpipe and stick a bucket of water on top, hey presto Channel Tunnel...?

Combining a fish tank and model railway, but how do you manage scale fish?

Looking forward to the next idea. There is nothing to stop you replicating all the original boards and doing the same again.

Looking forward to the next idea. There is nothing to stop you replicating all the original boards and doing the same again.

Carp reach 3ft ish, minnows get a couple of centimeters, that's almost right at 4mm scale! alternatand white, add goldfish, and pretend it's a B-movie. One idea that had crossed the mind before (pending lottery win) was running 7 1/4 gauge through a sealife centre style shark tunnel.......

The problem with last boards was the overall size when erected (insert innuendo) if i go for slightly less width of 8ft rather than 10 then i should be able to keep it up more often (insert more innuendo.) May end up with a big oval then and something about that doesn't feel as visually appealing as a normal circle/octagon/hexagon.

The problem with last boards was the overall size when erected (insert innuendo) if i go for slightly less width of 8ft rather than 10 then i should be able to keep it up more often (insert more innuendo.) May end up with a big oval then and something about that doesn't feel as visually appealing as a normal circle/octagon/hexagon.

A quick play with my octagonal layout plans show that eight boards of 39.5 inches x 21.5 inches with the 22.5 degrees cut in at each end will give you just slightly under an 8ft x 8ft layout with a 40 inch square "operating hole" in the middle.  That of course comes out of two 8ft x 4ft sheets.

Do check my calculations before purchase and cutting of wood :)

You scrape from tail to head with a knife... :jester:

I'd been watching this with interest, as I like the concept of an octagon, hope you'll continue with a 'mk2'.

Carp reach 3ft ish, minnows get a couple of centimeters, that's almost right at 4mm scale! alternatand white, add goldfish, and pretend it's a B-movie. One idea that had crossed the mind before (pending lottery win) was running 7 1/4 gauge through a sealife centre style shark tunnel.......The problem with last boards was the overall size when erected (insert innuendo) if i go for slightly less width of 8ft rather than 10 then i should be able to keep it up more often (insert more innuendo.) May end up with a big oval then and something about that doesn't feel as visually appealing as a normal circle/octagon/hexagon.

Duly inserted (fnarr fnarr!)

Mike, if i could, i would, that would be amazing! For some reason Thames have a 'no compensation' policy even though they've addmitted full liability. It's a big ol' bureaucratic mess getting all this sorted and it's been going on since long before i moved in. Long story!

The easy option with 8x4 boards would be draw a circle on each then cut the shape with the ever trusty Jigsaw. 8ft external and 4 ft internal diameter (gives 2ft wide boards) won't leave much wasted wood. Cut each semi circle at 60 degree intervals for a manageable/stable board size = 6 sets of legs. That would leave 2 spare sets of legs for a board 'each side' to stretch it into an oval option depending on space available. There's potentially a whole modular system creatable from that with at least 2 layouts (an end to end and a circle) which could combine to make one large layout but i'd have to do some doodling to see if it'd work first. Only down side i can see is the slightly tighter radius curves may not allow the overall train lengths to be as long...... but that'd save me money in stock quantities! And it's leaving the Octagon concept for a circle instead.....but i think i can live with that.

I do like that idea - presumably with a same sized board between each 60 degree piece you could expand quite significantly in all directions?

Sadly the more I read and think about it, the more I want to build one in N but I don't have the space for it!

potentially yes......i think i may have a subject related device to provide visual experiments of this design later too....watch this space!

I don't really have space for this either cromptonnut, just embrace it and go! Create storage ability into the design (which has just given me another idea! to save on legs, build straight boards on top suitable height trolleys that the curve boads can fit underneath in when not in use.)

I don't want to keep "putting up, taking down" - I want to be able to have the thing up for days, weeks at a time potentially whilst working on it, for at the very least the obvious things like waiting for ballast to dry.

The only way I could do something is a 6ft octagon in the "junk" room where all the other stuff lives, some of it railway related admittedly, but then that arises the question of just where all that stuff goes!

Maybe some of it could and should be binned... but I need another room to put all the stuff in to sort it!

• RMweb Gold

Mike, if i could, i would, that would be amazing! For some reason Thames have a 'no compensation' policy even though they've addmitted full liability. It's a big ol' bureaucratic mess getting all this sorted and it's been going on since long before i moved in. Long story!

Poor show, I sympathise with you.

Mike.

Right, through the medium of the:

post-9147-0-80594800-1359754597_thumb.jpg

I'll endevour to stimulate my mind with interesting modular board designs!

Each piece of track represents a board. So 3 pieces make a semi-circle which would be cut out of 1 8x4 sheet. 6 pieces = an entire circle:

post-9147-0-48528100-1359754785_thumb.jpg

as can also be seen, there's 2 straight 'boards' there which could be something along the lines of a nice little TMD that could be set up in the house (when the wife's out)

On the modular front, those 2 straights could also be fitted into the circle to make it an oval:

post-9147-0-93196900-1359754935_thumb.jpg

If further down the line as the project progresses i find the need for a third straight module, then because i've gone hexagon rather than octagon it could be incorporated into a larger layout at the same time as all the other boards:

post-9147-0-44681300-1359755058_thumb.jpg

4 straight boards is kinda obvious to incorporate so i've jumped straight to 5 (if life ever gives me that time!) which again is possible to incorporate in the Hexagon intial boards where's it wouldn't with an Octagon:

post-9147-0-89748600-1359755195_thumb.jpg

At somepoint i may get bored with making boards and decide to run a train (I have no idea what scale this)

post-9147-0-37522800-1359755277_thumb.jpg

6 straight boards would give any number of different layout options, but i don't care anymore, i'm having fun playing with my train set in a tin :-)

post-9147-0-98529100-1359755378_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-76928000-1359755398_thumb.jpg

I remember when i used to go out, drink, dance badly, and fail to chat up women on Fridays.....

Back to my little "spare room" - I was wondering about getting some of these

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7000814.htm

Putting them around the edge of the room and putting all the boxes of stuff (once I've thrown the junk of course) and then using that to build an octagonal layout resting on the top of it with simple legs across the gaps, for home use.  When at exhibitions (eventually) it'll have its own legs of course.

Has anyone used this sort of idea before or am I wasting my time?

I have two options for the layout; one being N gauge and the other being OO.  Of course, with OO I would probably need to have it in two levels, storage underneath and a layout on an upper level.  But as I only have about 6ft across, I'm wondering whether the curves might look too tight?

Mr Goldfish, what size boards was it you were using and what diameter did you get?

Archived