Shedplates

Argos

• RMweb Gold

When a locomotive was allocated to a shed how quickly were the shed plates updated?

The reason for the question is I have a LNWR 4ft shunter, the premise on the layout is that is being hired to an industrial user whilst their loco is being overhauled (this seems to be a common occurance in the Buxton area). Would this have kept it's original shed plates or transfer onto Buxton (16b in the period modelled)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hmmm, asked this quite a while and got no response at all, even one taking the mick!

So either no-one knows or the answer is obvious.......

Just for completeness I now realise the LNWR's shed plates hung on a couple of hooks at the back of the cab (or spectacle plate) so would be very easy to replace and hence probably done as soon as the loco transferred.

It was actually a flattened U-shaped bracket attached to the rear of the cab roof into which the plate slotted; the L&Y used the same system.Changing or removing shed plates was therefore very easy. These brackets went out of use soon after the grouping, but were still fitted to engines into the 1960s.

Hi,

For what its worth my guess would be it never received a Buxton code.

My logic would be if officially allocated to Buxton it would be under the control of the Shed Foreman and part of his rosta (including availability figures, coal consumption, etc etc ) I doubt if he would want any of this extra work!

I assume loco hires would be done centrally from Crewe.

If I were you I would put the 'last shed' code on the model as somehow I doubt if they would be botherered to remove it.

I have one of the original LNWR allocation plates (which I just looked for and could not find!) and I thought they were rivetted to the back angle of the cab - not just a simple 'slide in' affair

Tony

Archived