RMweb

Out and about with JZ

Went for a wander around in Combe Down, Bath yesterday while my car was at the garage. Took a look at Combe Down Tunnel and Tucking Mill Viaduct.

South entrance to the tunnel.

sdc11844z.jpg

sdc11846.jpg

North side of Tucking Mill Viaduct.

sdc11847.jpg

Looking through the fence.

sdc11848.jpg

Signs of subsidence. The gap is about 3"

sdc11850.jpg

Looking along the east side.

sdc11851.jpg

This is from above the tunnel entrance on the east side. Soewhere I have seen a picture taken from here and you can easily see the viaduct. Could be an Ivo Peters shot and I think there is a class 5 coming towards the photographer. This is just above the top right in the first photo.

sdc11857i.jpg

The remains of a gradient post near the viaduct.

sdc11853.jpg

Back up on Summer Lane. At this point when I was small, my father used to say "look over there and you might see a train". I remember seeing the track, but can never remember a train.

sdc11860.jpg

Moved on a mile or two now. This is from Shaft Lane looking down into the Midford Valley. No railway in this picture, but the farm right of centre is 'Beale's Farm' in the Titfield Thunderbolt.

sdc11861.jpg

From the same place, but now looking towards the Limpley Stoke valley.

sdc11862.jpg

The light green area on the right is a playing field on the site of Monkton Combe(Titfield) station. Left of centre the road viaduct that also appears in the Titfield Thunderbolt can be seen and beyond this the 0822 PMH-CDF can just be made out.

• RMweb Premium

Good heavens. I can see why Combe Down Tunnel used to cause Eastbound crews such problems with exhaust fumes; what a cramped little place! I remember hearing that sometimes the crew lay on the cab floor with wet cloths over their faces and also that a 4F once slipped to a stand in the tunnel and was not noticed as having done so for a few minutes (but that sounds like an 'urban myth' to me as surely a loco slipping whilst stationary feels different?)

Great pics by the way. It is sad that I really enjoy walking/cycling old lines as I enjoy the 'pathways' through the countryside, however it would have better to have seen them in operation.

One of my great wishes is that I could have seen the S & D in action and visited Green Park and those famous stations en route to Bournemouth. :(

Thanks for posting these, Sincerely, 36E

Archived