The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Not any more - tried it earlier this week and got turned down! I suspect that the onset of the' festive season' means that they are looking to maximise their returns!

No, The official line is that they are removing this (Along with many Buy-one-get-one-free deals) and the return to double clubcard points to counter the "Big Price Drop" campaign.

Tesco have sacrificed £500m profit by reducing prices of over 3000 everyday lines of stock (£500m is what Sainsbury's made in total last year)

Tesco have run "The Big Price Drop" in response to customers feedback (Particulaly those who do not have or want a clubcard) that they would rather have consistently lower prices than BOGOFs and clubcard points.

(In case you are wondering -my "Real job" is as a Business Analyst for Tesco head office)

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget - 'points mean prizes', so don't miss any chance to pick up the extra.

For those who live at the opposite end of the country to ageing relatives, as we do, remember that you can use the supermarket delivery services to send a sort of Christmas hamper (without the fancy basket and inflated prices..) to avoid them going out when the weather's turned bad; you get the points, whilst the supermarket's model of your purchases gets weird.

I think that their model of my purchases from Tesco was already fairly weird and I hope that it is now reflecting my boycotting of certain lines since they imposed hefty price increases (27.6% in one case) under the banner of 'Price Drop' although I see they're now responding to such boycotts by introducing other similar lines which are apparently cheaper (until you start totting up the quantity price). Add in the price increases on many of their sandwiches where they have reduced the quantity of filling and I suspect they're not being quite as 'generous' to some customers as they imply.

Mind you the ability to save 15p per litre on diesel is not to be sneezed at when that particular 'money off' offer is in place.

Tesco have sacrificed £500m profit by reducing prices of over 3000 everyday lines of stock (£500m is what Sainsbury's made in total last year)

(In case you are wondering -my "Real job" is as a Business Analyst for Tesco head office)

Ha Ha Ha, Last week in Tesco Harlow they had ' Chicken tonight sauce ' On Price Drop. Was £1.30 now £1.69.....Today value bleach , last week 45p this week 55p !!! there are others that i have spotted recently but can't remember details...Price drop my a***....Many items have shot up recentley not by a couple of pence but by as much as 20%..Thats why i now shop around and have started using Asda as they have opened up localy...And no i dont work for them or have any connection.

• RMweb Gold

I think 'Price Drop' might be starting to crack a little - today our local branch had one product still proudly proclaiming its 'Price Drop' while next to it twin packs of the same thing have reappeared, at a considerable discount in terms of quantity pricing.

I really do wonder if they understand the mental capacity of their customers? In the first week of 'Price Drop' our shopping bill on one day was about 15-17% up on buying a similar basket to that we had bought before the bamboozlement appeared on the placards and this was almost entirely due to discontinuation of various multiple buys that gave us regular, long term, reductions on the quantity price. I know folk - including me - like to have a go at Tesco but when you keep receipts going back for a year or so (as Mrs Stationmaster does!) and plan to keep down your shopping bill by going for products (which you want anyway) when they are on long term 'special offer' or in regular, long standing, multiple buys you notice all too well the effect of changes which seems to be designed more to increase overall income than they are to help prudent shoppers. And I'm told that the staff who did the relabelling noticed it too.

Sorry Gareth, Tesco might well have 'sacrificed' £500 million but there is the other side of the deal where - unless we change our shopping habit to a different retailer - some of its customers are subsidising that 'sacrifice' and are paying increased bills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

In terms of comparing supermarket prices then this site shows prices on thousands of items at Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda, Ocado and Waitrose:-

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/shelves/top_offers_in_asda.html

There's no need to register to view prices. It's amazing these days how often a 'special' offer price is more than the normal price, seems common across all stores.

The full extent of the conspiracy is now revealed. The reason why schools stopped flogging the multiplication tables and basic arithmetic into kids forty years ago, was a long term plot to enable the supermarkets to bamboozle the resulting innumerates, unable to work out that a £1 item being sold as 2 for £2 doesn't constitute a cost saving, despite the exciting yellow colour on which this information is printed...

I find it interesting that in supermarkets one large packet of whatever isn't always cheaper than two small ones. Sometimes they are, sometimes not, and it's obvious to me they make money out of people's assumptions. It's well worth checking the price per gram which is usually in minute figures at the bottom of the price label. Never just automatically buy (for example) one big tub of butter instead of two small ones. Always check, as it can go either way.

My missus is signed up to the Tesco loyalty card, and it's obvious to me they monitor our use of their shop because if we neglect them for any length of time they send quite hefty vouchers to tempt us back.

Like Spamcan 61 above, I use Mysupermarket.com a lot. http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/ The only fault with it is that it doesn't include Morrisons. This enables you to check your basket of groceries in advance and see whether Tesco, Asda, Ocado or Sainsbury's works out cheapest. (It actually does a lot more than that, for example suggesting cheaper alternatives and lower calorie foods.) For our particular needs Tesco almost always works out cheapest, which surprised me. But another family's 'basket' may give an entirely different result.

The trick is to be a shrewd buyer. Lidl and Aldi also have their place, if you don't mind their relatively poor service and lack of choice. Indeed they have some surprisingly good stuff in there at times, it's just you can't be sure it'll be there next week.

• RMweb Premium

The only fault with it is that it doesn't include Morrisons. This enables you to check your basket of groceries in advance and see whether Tesco, Asda, Ocado or Sainsbury's works out cheapest. (It actually does a lot more than that, for example suggesting cheaper alternatives and lower calorie foods.) For our particular needs Tesco almost always works out cheapest, which surprised me. But another family's 'basket' may give an entirely different result.

The lack of Morrisons is a pain, especially as they're our usual first resort for supermarket shopping, although specific special offers are usually listed over on hotukdeals a few days before they come into effect. We pay for our Morrisons shop using a Tesco credit card, so we still get those points which are useful for magazine subscriptions, days out etc.

• RMweb Gold

Alas we don't have much choice - apart from a Sainsburys Local (which is a joke for a weekly shop and not intended for that market in any case) we have either Tesco or Waitrose so we divide our shopping between the two depending on whether we want decent quality meat (and decent treatment for farmers) = Waitrose, or cheap cleaning products and baked beans etc = Tesco (and then all based on sweeping up the bogof offers and reductions on 'special' etc. That way is possibly slightly less convenient but the saving more than covers the extra few pence it costs in either petrol or diesel and as Waitrose is in the town centre it is readily combined with other local shopping. The Tesco market analysts must think we have a very strange diet and extremely clean house.

• RMweb Premium

We've started using Amazon now and again for cleaning products &suchlike (dunno if that works through the RBweb shop?). For example a six pack of Mr. Muscle 5in1 Lemon for 6 quid including delivery - half Tesco's price:-

http://www.amazon.co...23102623&sr=8-1

EDIT: which has now doubled in price so no longer worth the bother!

versus:-

http://www.mysuperma...mon&store=tesco

• RMweb Premium

The lack of Morrisons is a pain, especially as they're our usual first resort for supermarket shopping,

We used to use Morrisons for some reasonably priced ready meals but since most got re-branded as "M Kitchen" with some hefty price rises (one went up 50%) don't buy them unless they are in the 'short dated - going cheap' section - which many seem now to be!

Mainly use Asda with some Aldi and occasionally Sainsbury's.

Would'nt touch Tesco with a barge-pole.

Keith

Archived