Bulleid Coach Side Lights (Windows)

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Good evening Southern folk,

I'm on the search for the actual real-life dimensions of Bulleid coach windows (side lights).

The best I can find is the GIF and PDF files on this SEmG web page. The page promises drawings of all the types but was last updated in 1999.

Does anyone know if Richard Salmon ever finished this drawing project?

Thanks

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Chris

From memory of my days as an SEmG member, Richard Salmon is a big cheese on the Bluebell, so very likely still in harness and contactable.

In the same place, Dave Clarke seemed to be the mouthpiece for the C&W restoration team, and provided many pics of the amazing works he and colleagues were undertaking. For him a quick measure-up might literally be a 5-minute job. We have Bluebell people on here - e.g. Chris Dadson - who may be able to ease your access?

• RMweb Premium

Do you have a copy of the Ian Allan MRC Bulleid coach plan book?

Tim

Hi Tim

Yes, I've got copies of the MRC Planbook 1 "Bulleid Coaches in 4mm Scale", Mike King's "An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches" and the Oakwood Press 'Gould' books. Unless I've missed a drawing when flicking through, I can't see any with actual window dimensions on.

The level of detailed needed for the shallow vent version is as per the deep vent version drawings linked from my OP. I'm guessing that the best info available for the narrow vented version is to do as Richard says and move the vent/main window horizontal bar up by 5".

I agree with Ian - drop an email to Richard Salmon (he manages the carriage workshop as well as the website) and I'm sure he would help in getting someone to provide actual measurements. He's always been very willing to assist in my experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have a copy of the Ian Allan MRC Bulleid coach plan book?

Tim

Hi Chris. Apologies for this late post.

Some of my drawings are included in that book.

lf you look at the plans, most, if not all the dimensions you require, are shown. I.E. Main Lights (The large windows). Quarter Lights (The windows each side of the doors on the earliest 'multi-door' , and EMU stock), Door Drop Lights, Door Top Lights, Toilet Windows and the smaller Catering car windows.

Regards, Frank.

P.S.

Richard Salmon's diagrams only show the Main Light* windows as fitted to the BRCW (Contractor built), and the BR Eaastleigh built stock.

* The term 'Side Lights' covers all types of windows fitted to a coach body side.

P.P.S.

Edited after discovering the deep vented window diagram ...Whoops

Archived