Cannons Lane

bike2steam

After a certain number of people have asked me what I'm up to in the workshop at the moment ( well 2 anyway ??), I thought I'd post a few pics.

Cannons Lane is a 00 gauge layout around my 20 x 8 foot workshop, one side scenic, the other side a 9 road fiddle yard, with 6 roads long enough to accomodate 2 trains each, which runs beside my bench. Set circa 1960 is a fictitious location on the southern end of the GJR part of the Midland region, with various bits of infrastructure either copied or based on those that existed between Bescot, and Penkridge.post-7336-0-56881600-1321807154.jpg

As can be seen all buildings are in the process of construction, cardboard mock-ups are being replaced by building carcases that when completed will be painted, glazed, and detailed before being permanently replaced on the layout.

post-7336-0-60629100-1321807383.jpg

GJ LNWR sectional buildings that need scratchbuilt canopy, and roofs, canopy brackets, by Geoff Taylor, to be fitted after painting.

post-7336-0-70759600-1321807560.jpg

GJ sectional panels cut down for platform huts, cardboard mock-ups for lineside huts to the right of the scissors crossover, all disguise the board top mounted point motors.The wires protruding from the unfinished platforms (still to be 'topped off') are for the signals (LNWR LQ)

post-7336-0-15863600-1321807909.jpg

general overview from the 'eastern' end.

post-7336-0-36378800-1321807984.jpg

The mock-up signal box will be a Churchward kit (Modelex) of a LNWR box ( in 'stock' ready to build), another 'box will be at the 'western' end chopped to 2/3rds the

size.

post-7336-0-72274100-1321808172.jpg

Window frames under construction for the station's covered steps ( 2 of 6 shown), and footbridge, all from plastikard.

post-7336-0-81081800-1321808330.jpg

Point motor operating arrangement for some points.

Save boring you too much, enough for now, more later. Feel free to ask questions though.

The sectional buildings look good.. On the footbridge windows I presume you cut the full aperture and then added some thin plastic strip for the dividers?

Regards

Ray

Correct, .020"(0.5mm) x .020"(0.5mm) Evergreen strip, not just for dividers, but also the inner window frame, not obvious from the pic .

Looks v promising. Is that a microswitch beside the point motor?, and if so, how is it connected to the switch throw.

Thanks,

Richard

Yes, it is a microswitch, for the polarity on the frog, and switch rails, it takes the feed from each rail on the nearest piece of track. The throw is actuated by a piece of 1.2mm brass rod bent at 90 degrees thro' the 1.25mm diameter hole in the middle of the tie-rod, the other end bent 90 degrees up thro' the throw arm of the point motor, the slack is taken up with a sleeve made of cable casing ( that brown coloured bit) from 14 x0.2 cable.

What outer style are you modelling for the footbridge? Jack Nelson's book shows grooved planking on the outside (as at Wolverton), whereas the bridge at Cheddington had the "cross struts" visible (Talbot's "Railway Heritage" book p 36). Or are you modelling the sheeted panels with the vertical rivetted angle (as at Bangor, I think).

I need to make a similar three platform footbridge for London Road and have been considering getting some parts laser cut, but your results are making me think that may not be neccessary. The parts I thought laser cutting might be particularly be good for is the inner sides that carry the steps and the window panels.

Jol

Originally meant to be Willenhall (Bilston Street), but the pics I have aren't good enough to work from, so although not what I laid down, structures being a selection of those that existed on the GJR between Bescot, and Penkridge, I've gone for a 'cross-strut' design on the SSR at Wednesbury Town, but extended from crossing 3 roads to 4, still LNWR, and local to my intended area of the Black Country.

• 3 months later...

Progress is a little slower than planned, where have you heard that before ??

A few pics of work in progress

post-7336-0-84242100-1332272524.jpg

Main station entrance building, and steps to the platform, taken from the 'eastern'/station throat end.

post-7336-0-82714900-1332272552.jpg

- from the 'western' end.

post-7336-0-11127100-1332272662.jpg

Platform buildings taking shape on the bench.

post-7336-0-39113600-1332272726.jpg

The more intricate LNWR canopy brackets, made, on commission by Geoff Taylor, now on his parts list number 446.

post-7336-0-77177000-1332272701.jpg

Nice work - reminds me of Harford Steet!

XF

Don't know that one - have you got any pics, or a link?

edit. Found it, an excellent model of the NLR, although hopefully Cannons Lane will be just as good but of the GJR/LNWR in the Black Country.

• 4 weeks later...

Erghh, now I'm in search of what seems to be the 'holy grail' better known as LNWR station canopy valancing - all ten feet of it !!! Or I'm gonna have to get Geoff Taylor to make some, on commission again, for me.Anyone wanna go part share to pay Geoff for the etch masters ???

• 1 month later...

Many thanks, but progress is painfully slow at the moment, too many other things to do.

I've resorted to using plain valancing on the station canopies, and after having managed to get a Prototype Models version of the gents toilet vent, I have decided it's way over scale, by twice, so I've fabricated some out of plastikard.

Will post some more pics soon.

• 8 months later...

Erghh, now I'm in search of what seems to be the 'holy grail' better known as LNWR station canopy valancing - all ten feet of it !!! Or I'm gonna have to get Geoff Taylor to make some, on commission again, for me.Anyone wanna go part share to pay Geoff for the etch masters ???

Perhaps in a couple of years time once I've got my project to the same stage as yours! :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

post-7336-0-49055400-1375778715.jpglatest projects.

Making 6 exLNWR LQ signals, scratchbuilt (ish)using Evergreen plastic strip, and incorporating parts from Ratio kit(s)#477, motorized using Viessmann's superb slow-action signal motors with a fabricated 'throw reduction box'.The part finished signal has been tested in a 'test-rig'( cardboard box) with 200 'throws'per arm to see whether it works ok -yes.Details such as counter-balance levers, and ladders etc to be added

post-7336-0-32139400-1375778840.jpg

And a much modified Churchward kits LNWR type 4 signal box.

2 of the signals are 'underslung' gantries, the pic show the 'ironwork' under construction.

post-7336-0-33111000-1375778810.jpg

• 1 year later...

Doesn't time fly, over a year since the last post (?) Most of this year has been taken up with Blandford, but now Warley is out of the way - back to Cannons Lane, and the second of two signal boxes takes shape, with 'Cannons Lane No. 2'. based on the SSR box at Essington Wood, but mirror image. Final detail work, including guttering, down pipes, and internal fittings still to do.

post-7336-0-67343200-1419176312.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've only just discovered this thread. Lovely stuff. Paul - very much after my own interests with Clecklewyke albeit the latter is on a much smaller scale. I love your buildings and signals.

I wonder what the main station buildings are based on? They look very familiar and absolutely right for their context. Ditton Jct?. I have some GJR LNWR buildings to make for the extended Clecklewyke and would have been interested if I could have shared the cost of some LNWR valancing. However, it looks as though I'm too late.

Ian

Thanks Ian, not based on any one particular location, the buildings on the layout are a mixture of designs of those that once existed in the Walsall area (Pleck, Wednesbury, etc,etc) of the GJR, and SSR. As for the canopy valancing, I held back completion of the platform buildings for a while as I waited to see what might turn up, but eventually gave up, and added plain valancing, a couple of weeks after completion, and fixing the buildings in place on the layout, someone got in touch to inform me that he had completed a batch of etched brass saw-tooth, key-hole LNWR valancing that I'd been after - such is life!! Work on the actual layout has been painfully slow over the last year, but I have been busy in my office ( box-room !) constructing the second signal box, and increasing my sadly depleted Stanier corridor coaching stock by trying to improve (??) enough Dapol coach kits to make up 2 rakes of 8 coaches.

I've only just discovered this thread. Lovely stuff. Paul - very much after my own interests with Clecklewyke albeit the latter is on a much smaller scale. I love your buildings and signals.

I wonder what the main station buildings are based on? They look very familiar and absolutely right for their context. Ditton Jct?. I have some GJR LNWR buildings to make for the extended Clecklewyke and would have been interested if I could have shared the cost of some LNWR valancing. However, it looks as though I'm too late.

Ian

Ian,

I drew up some etched brass LNWR valance of the saw tooth variety for London Road. I snuck some onto an etch design I did for LRM so he has some from time to time. They are on his printed price list but not the website (which has the canopy brackets I also designed for London Road). Why not drop him a line to ask if he has any in  stock?

Jol

post-1191-0-34692600-1420756237.jpg

• 7 months later...

A few hours to spare ( yes really - a rarity), so had a short operating session, and took the camera along, sorry about the 'iffy' quality of some shots. Just an excuse for some 'train-spotting'- ?- :sungum:  

post-7336-0-05112400-1439500645.jpg

post-7336-0-57208100-1439500675.jpg

post-7336-0-93095700-1439500733.jpg

post-7336-0-71222600-1439500762.jpg

post-7336-0-94867600-1439500805.jpg

post-7336-0-77817800-1439501528.jpg

post-7336-0-45466400-1439501628.jpg

• 5 months later...

Archived