Northall station

I started with Northall Station.

This is a branchline station situated in Bridge Street.

There will be access to the platforms on both sides of the bridge. Platforms not on the layout.

In the picture a first impression. This will be the ticketoffice.

As usual I use several Scalescene downloads.

Suggestions are welcome.

post-11675-0-02498100-1321817627_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great modelling there. That is exactly what I am hoping to achieve on my next construction. Roll on May 2012 when I finally get into my house.... my wife will be unpacking house stuff and I will be unpacking my modelling boxes... I think that sounds fair...

Finished the bridge at the pub side.

Have to some wheatering at the other side.

Have learned a lot from building this structure.

Had some card problems after sanding the edges.

The wheatering gave some trouble with some adhesive spots.

I hope I have solved this problems to a convincing resolt.

post-11675-0-24629400-1323791187_thumb.jpg

Hi

Is it the arched bridge kit that you have used to do this? I have just downloaded that kit, along with the canal lock and factory/warehouse as I am currently constructing an inglenook layout, and am thinking about using the arched bridge as a triple arch span as an exit to fiddle yard and also going over a road running along the side of the railway and a canal alongside that, the bridge would have a disused line running along the top.

My idea is that my inglenook sidings will be serving a factory and a canal transfer facility.

Yes, I used the arched bridge kit.

On the first picture you can see I created the base from one part of thick card.

The most important thing is that all parts to connect both base parts are square.

I had some trouble with the connection between the deck and the parapet walls.

I solved this problem be fitting the parepet wall copings after placing the parapet walls. You can make them then 1 stone higher

if necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

I have finished the west side of Northall Station. (the front of my lauout is the south side).

This part won't be vissible when I have finished Bridge Street.

This part was build first to know what kind of problems I could come across.

I hope the total view is correct. The eastside of the station will get the same architectural view.

There is still some final wheatering to be done and when the east side is finished to fix the whole structure on the layout.

post-11675-0-75265700-1325523514_thumb.jpg

Hi Job, you continue to produce some fine work, the photos taken from the green side of the railings looking over to the drab brickwork are especially good. I agree with Mustermark; your work captures a certain atmosphere. As George says, a real gem.

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

I have made some progress.

To complete the scene I also build a factory behind the pub.

A small factory gate is made between the station and the pub.

There is still some work to do to finish the scene.

I hope the picture gives a nice impression of the scene.

Regards,

Job

post-11675-0-01473500-1328463678_thumb.jpg

I finished Northall Station.

I have used the following kits from Scalescenes:

• Small Station Building,
  • Footbridge &
  • the Arched Bridge.

The drainpipe was made by using the wall edging from the Small Terraced Houses kit and some card.

The advertising by the entrance of the station I found on internet. Both man ( I still have to paint them) in front of it are talking about the content: Jobs on the right line.

I like to use my personal found posters.

I hope the total scene gives a nice urban impression.

As usually any suggestion are welcome

The next project is to finish the Great Eastern Pub.

regards,

Job

post-11675-0-73524000-1328980561_thumb.jpg

Job, that's a lovely piece of work - I can't think of a better word than atmospheric so I will say beautiful which is a word I very rarely use :angel:

Can I ask you what how long and how wide your scene is? It sounds as though it will be added to the rest of your layout which I'm looking forward to seeing.

Great job, Job

Cheers

Martin

To give you an impression, I have aded a picture of the diorama / layout at this moment.

A picture mostly says more the a thousand words.

Only the roof of the grocery shop and launderette can be seen behind the bridge/station.

On the front a British Railway served private siding to a factory. The whole scene is set in the late 1950's

Total lenght 150 cm ( 4,92 feet) and width 39 cm ( 1,28 feet).

This is my first card build British layout.

post-11675-0-78731000-1329574380_thumb.jpg

Developing really nice.

May sound daft but i would probably have made front fascia a 'T' shape,so end of bridge would be behind board but with opening going above and past it so you could see the building in corner,same shape other end perhaps to balance it, hence the T shape if you see what i mean.

Tel

Developing really nice.

May sound daft but i would probably have made front fascia a 'T' shape,so end of bridge would be behind board but with opening going above and past it so you could see the building in corner,same shape other end perhaps to balance it, hence the T shape if you see what i mean.

Tel

something along your lines like this.or have the front a fully open rectangle. Having a section closed in from the viewing side takes away from all your good modelling work and has an adverse effect on overall view

post-8585-0-42204200-1329611176.jpg

My intention was to create a working factory line with waybills.

But because this is my first British layout I made some mistakes.

Thanks to the RMweb I now know what I did wrong:

• I forgot to design the fascia
  • I now know that every train had a brake van, so my fiddle yards are to short

So I will reconsider the fascia, in a way that there is a better look at:

• the area around the corner shop
  • the fish and chip shop in North Street

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kind regards,

Job

The work on this is fantastic - I suspect that any mistakes will show up more to you than to anyone looking at it :)

I like the idea that you can only see parts of the buildings behind the bridge - it gives you a reason to try and look through the arch of the bridge, or over the parapet - just like in real life.

It has a very convincingly British feel to it, too. I daren't think what my first layout on a Dutch theme would look like :D

Archived