Hornby silver seal range

Mark 37

Hi all,

I've been collecting Mk1 open, brake and sleepers for a while but know they are not up to modern standards. So are there any improvements that can be made?

I presume there is a flush glazing set for them, but not to sure. I notice the window surrounds are a little over scale. If I were to rub these back to flush with the body would it effect the flush glazing?

All the best for now,

Mark

As the flush glazing is fitted from behind, sanding down the window frames shouldn't be an issue. Considering the basic model is nearly 50 years old they're not bad! Probably the weakest area is the underframe, and particularly the lack of footsteps on the solebars, but they are plentiful, cheap and can be tarted up quite nicely.

Andy,

Thanks for the pointers. With the cost of new engines my budget would not stretch too far when it came to rolling stock. As you say silver seal are cheap and plentiful, but I didn't know they were nearly 50, wow!

I'm off to look for some deccent pictures of Mk1's to work from.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Later version of Hornby's former Triang Mk 1's came fitted with flush glazing which was available as a seperate spare part from the likes of East Kent Models etc. Elsewise the South Eastern Finecast flushglaze range cover the same models but are more fiddly to fit.

Certainly worth replacing the wheelsets with the modern Hornby replacement ones by the way, simple pull out and replace and better running qualities I used to find.

• RMweb Premium

Last list from East Kent Models I have shows that they did have glazing units for both sides of the composite and brake corridor standard/first and one side of the RMB. Part numbers L7731 through L7735. If they still have them in stock (big if there!) then cutting up and adaptating them to different window configurations should be fairly straightforward.

Alternatively look out for cheap discounted later batch flush glazed versions of the Mk 1's at shows and simply swap the bodysides over as they are a direct change over.

Do wish East Kent Models would get a decent website though, in fact just a website rather than the standard template place holder they seem to use would be better than nothing!

John,

Thanks for the part numbers, that'll help a lot. I do agree with you about East Kent models website. I tend not to buy things from shops that don't have a proper website (there not that hard to build).

Best regards,

Mark

Archived