Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

I pretty much always use enamels as I much prefer them to acrylics (which always seem to dry too quick for me).

I reckon that I might just have got lucky with that shot really, and it is showing them in a good light. basically, I held a lamp above the canopy so the shadows, etc., are cast by the light coming through it (obviously)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It just needs a boy on his bike and the Hovis tune playing in the background.  :music_mini2:

Nice work, Jason.  Hope you can keep it up.

Polly

• Like 1

It just needs a boy on his bike and the Hovis tune playing in the background:music_mini2:

Nice work, Jason.  Hope you can keep it up.

Polly

I don't think the hill is steep enough

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

The chimney pots that are on the houses in the photos are all to be replaced with castellated ones when I get round to (bulk) ordering them.

Wasn't the Hovis advert filmed down South? Gloucestershire?

Jason

I've just looked it up. It was filmed at Gold Hill in Shaftesbury, Dorset.

Duncan

Golden Hill to be exact, Duncan. I remember plodding up there with my daughter in her pushchair - it was too steep for her to toddle up - and my missus singing "La  La  LaLaLa" all the way up. 

(Edit for punctuation)

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

Golden Hill to be exact, Duncan. I remember plodding up there with my daughter in her pushchair - it was too steep for her to toddle up - and my missus singing "La  La  LaLaLa all the way up. 

One of these days the sites I use for research will spell locations correctly :banghead:  :banghead:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I knew it was down South and somewhere with hills, not sure why I thought of Gloucestershire though.

Was just thinking, I am very glad that all the houses can be removed from their slots because if I had affixed them, putting the yards in behind those backing onto the railway would be a real pain. The task for the rest of ths week is to cut out the formers for the walls and outhouses that will be out of sight :)

One of these days the sites I use for research will spell locations correctly :banghead:  :banghead:

Duncan

Stop banging your head, Duncan; I've just looked on Google streetview and the street nameplate does say Gold Hill. Sorry about that. it's this Alzheimers, you see...

• RMweb Premium

Another six outhouses and associated walls have now been put together, enough left to do to make me want to move onto something else for a couple of weeks. I still haven't put the capping stones on any of the walls.

It actually surprised me just how visible they are, and how incomplete the bottom row that backs onto the railway now seems.

Stubbyeatyourheartout009_zps3663660a.jpg

Stubbyeatyourheartout012_zpsc6e06838.jpg

Stubbyeatyourheartout013_zps98b3e69f.jpg

Rightly or wrongly, I didn't build them flush (no pun intended) with the retaining wall.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

It's funny you should mention wagons Andy, as to break the monotony of building outhouses, I have been building the below. I need a whole load of five planks (as do we all who model the period around 1960):

wagons_zps69828031.jpg

• Like 2

Well impressed with those streets and ginnels of houses, so I hope I don't end up in Bacup Workhouse or the town stocks for suggesting they need weathering down quite a lot to give them character, particularly on the roofs.

I know you said you dislike acrylics, but a tray of water, a blob of Fairy Liquid and a small dollop of Railmatch acrylic black can work wonders when mixed together to applying weathering in both large and small areas. I have in mind runs down slates from chimney stacks and the muck that gathers around down spouts and drainpipes. People not around before the clean air act would not believe how mucky the buildings in industrial towns and cities were. Janes/Ian Allan albums covering trams and buses provide plenty of reference material. Stone built buildings in particular seemed to soak up the soot-ridden environment, as anyone who saw buildings like Manchester Townhall after the war will testify.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Larry, and I readily welcome your points on the weathering and it is something that is on the radar (as are the watergoods, etc). Period photograps, especially black & white ones, only give the slightest hint of how mucky stuff got (and people didn't tend to take photos of the roofs, etc) so the info that you and others can provide is invaluable.

• RMweb Premium

Great rake of wagons Jason, :locomotive:  :locomotive:  sod the HOUSES :no: , just love the wagons, :locomotive:  :locomotive:  hahhahaaaa

Bodgit :sungum:

Must admit, that was my first thought too, so Bodgit's not alone.

Maybe it's because we are so used to the stunning collection of buildings that we start to look elsewhere.

Jeff