Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Thread is very quiet Jason. Do I sense a hint of controversy in Larry's comments - though I have to say I couldn't agree more about the "quality" of RTR weathering.

If you're going to weather it, weather it!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Not been up to much this week Jeff; the thought of an imminent move has sort of put things on hold a bit and work has been a bit mad too. On top of that, trying to sort out summer biking holidays has taken up quite a bit of time this week but all sorted now.

I have, however, been progressing with the surfacing of the goods yard with cobbles and am at the point of painting now. I also bought a Derby Lightweight that needs renumbering to be the one and only example allocated to Bury.

• RMweb Premium

Yep, Sofia has landed herself a teaching job in Leeds so relocation is on the cards. Happy to be moving up North but it is the wrong side of the Pennines...........

Advantages for the layout (besides the problem of actually moving it) are that if we choose the house wisely, I may be able to actually fit a backscene rather than be constricted by the attic roof!

• Like 4

Yep, Sofia has landed herself a teaching job in Leeds so relocation is on the cards. Happy to be moving up North but it is the wrong side of the Pennines...........

Advantages for the layout (besides the problem of actually moving it) are that if we choose the house wisely, I may be able to actually fit a backscene rather than be constricted by the attic roof!

:O

LEEDS !!!!! :D

Good to hear you're heading north Jason! Even if you end up on the 'dark side' of the Pennines, you'll still be closer to the Lanky heartland and within easier reach of all that lovely mountain biking. Plus of course, there is the added bonus of a multitude of prototypes, lines and idea's for your next big project! :)

Best wishes to you and Sofia

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure it's not Paul brainwashing you?

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a reference for Tim here, I've started to weather my Cravens. Fair way to go but here is the start with the base colour on

Cravens001_zpsa5273158.jpg

Cravens002_zpsd8b1704e.jpg

Cravens003_zpsc6aec6d9.jpg

• Like 9

Does Sofia understand the logistics of moving a model railway Jason? i.e. it takes precedence, never mind the furniture, goods and chattels :sungum:

Todmorden - it's technically the right side of the border, a short ride away from Bacup and the Lea Quarry Mountain bike trails, and not too bad a commute to Leeds!

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking forward to the removal van quotes... model railways are tricky to move and take up a fair bit of room on the van. Thankfully last time we moved, I'd already got Treneglos safely away in a friend's barn and it was only the lad's 6'x3' trainset that needed shifting. Despite that the removals had fun and gave me kittens 'carefully' loading it the van :-o

• RMweb Premium

I suggested Tod Andy, but she's not one for commuting.

As for moving, it will be a hired Luton Van and a few trips; that's how we moved from London to Oxford. Railway will be moved first and on it's own and if it isn't too much of a nightmare then who knows, it may appear as a one off at an exhibition some day :)

Edit: from a mountain biking perspective, Leeds is a winner as it is not far from Hebden Bridge (lots of very steep and rocky trails there, most not on the map.....), Ilkley Moor looks to have some decent trails, Hamsterley Forest has a cracking downhill track with uplifts, Sheffield is becoming the MTB centre of the UK, the Lakes is easily doable in a day, Stainmore looks interesting, etc.

I look at places to live with the view of what is within reach rather than what is on the doorstep. Oxford is crap for biking but is well located for the Surrey Hills, Forest Of Dean, South Wales, Chicksands, Aston Hill, Woburn Sands, Cannock Chase, Hindhead and many more. All require a drive to get to but not more than two hours.

Edited by Sandside

I suggested Tod Andy, but she's not one for commuting.

As for moving, it will be a hired Luton Van and a few trips; that's how we moved from London to Oxford. Railway will be moved first and on it's own and if it isn't too much of a nightmare then who knows, it may appear as a one off at an exhibition some day :)

Now that is one that I would definately travel for :sungum:  :sungum: :sungum:  :sungum:  

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I was going to ask about the chances of it being exhibited. Would much modification be necessary?

The main problem is that it had been built for a specific location, e.g. Down two walls of the attic with viewing and operation from the front. It is L shaped and due to the location, the Scenics to a greater extent have been planned with front viewing in mind. Added to that, operation from the back, whilst possible from an electrical point of view (e.g. I could easily add a socket round there), shunting would not really be possible unless my arms grew one hell of a lot.

I have to admit that the above statement was made with RMWeb open days in mind rather than the more typical exhibition, where the audience would understand that it was a home layout rather than one built with exhibiting in mind.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I should add that when I started this, I never for one moment imagined that people would actually want to see it; it still surprises me now that it garners so much interest, and I am very flattered by it. I was chatting with Tim today about weathering, etc. (he very kindly offered to give me tips) and mentioned to him that I don't want to just run out of the box stuff on the layout. A big part of me thinking like that has been the interest, support and encouragement I have received from all of you and to an extent, not wanting to disappoint. Much like Jeff and Kirkby Luneside, I was in two minds as whether to start a layout thread but am very glad that I did.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I should add that when I started this, I never for one moment imagined that people would actually want to see it; it still surprises me now that it garners so much interest, and I am very flattered by it. I was chatting with Tim today about weathering, etc. (he very kindly offered to give me tips) and mentioned to him that I don't want to just run out of the box stuff on the layout. A big part of me thinking like that has been the interest, support and encouragement I have received from all of you and to an extent, not wanting to disappoint. Much like Jeff and Kirkby Luneside, I was in two minds as whether to start a layout thread but am very glad that I did.

I'd go to see it, Jason.  :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

And I wouldn't worry about it being L-shaped.  It seems all shapes and sizes get to exhibition.

Have you considered a house with an attic room with a proper staircase rather than a loft with a hole in the floor...?

Hope the move goes smoothly and do keep up the thread....

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Beware of removals Jason when we moved from the Forest of Dean things went rather awry with the purchase ( the conservatory was on next doors land) and our stuff ended up in store. The layour had been boxed up. However the team that took it out of store was not the same as them that put it in. A very heavy box of tools was rested on the layout box for the 100 mile journey and collapsed the layout box.

Don

Good luck with the move Jason,

And don't forget, if you travel east or north east from Leeds for about an hour and a half you have the North York Moors, some good mountain bike tracks around Sutton Bank and the Cleveland Hills. And not forgetting you will only be an hour and a half away from Kirby Luneside!

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with the move Jason,

And don't forget, if you travel east or north east from Leeds for about an hour and a half you have the North York Moors, some good mountain bike tracks around Sutton Bank and the Cleveland Hills. And not forgetting you will only be an hour and a half away from Kirby Luneside!

Al!!!! Did you HAVE to mention that!?

Jason - it'll be a pleasure to have you within "commuting distance".

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After a wheel clean and a bit of additional weathering (grease added to buffers, etc), the Cravens re-entered service today. Looking at the photo, I need to take back the weathering on the side a bit

Cravens005_zps738c4337.jpg

Jeff, I'll be round before you ever get chance to say NO, armed with tins of paint to get that track painted before you get chance to build anything else to hinder it :)

• Like 9