Welton Station & Shed (In N Gauge)

sammyboy

I've not been on here for proper ages and my layout has taken proper ages and ages to finally very nearly finished the track laying stage, hopefully tonight I'll be compleating the laying of the 6 track fiddle yard, and then hopefully start to wire up the tracks to run the first train before Christmas!

As time goes on, I should be more active on this forum with more updates and hopefully photos of my layout as it develops!

If anybody noticed my status update, after typing this I'll be heading off to WD Models (My local Model Shop) via the Supermarket cash machines to buy track which will hopefully finish off the track laying tonight, and then bring on the dreaded wiring!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update as to say there has been no modelling/tracklaying/wiring over Christmas, but it will start with ernest in the New Year as I really need to start running trains (Especially my new Black 5 loco from Christmas!)

• 7 months later...

Current Layout Progress Update: The layout has got a little further down the line with the first trains running around and all tracks are now electrified! The baseboards for my layout are now stored up against the window in our conservatory lol!

So I really need to get cracking again and start on the next major step, track ballasting and scenery!

• 3 months later...

Looking back over this layout topic of mine, there are a couple of comments from people saying that I need to put up photos, I would love to show off my layout to you lot, but just how do I upload my photos onto here? Help please!!!

Be good to see pictures.

If you upload and save into your computer under the pictures folder, then You may have to reduce them via paint or something similar.

Then at the bottom of this page click reply and click "more reply options" to allow picture uploads. Then select a picture after browsing through your folder (using the reply options) and attatch the picture to the topic reply.

Once you've figured it out and done 1 or 2 it will make more sence.

Good luck.

Jack.

• 9 months later...

Hi Folks, I've spent some of this rainy Monday afternoon looking at maps to determine whereabouts the fictional setting of my layout will be.

The town of Welton (population approximately 55,000) is located in the East Midlands roughly where East Midlands Parkway station is now between Long Eaton & Loughborough.

The town has 2 stations, the Midland one depicted on the current unfinished layout & a terminus named Welton Northgate, which serves trains going towards the Birmingham area and further afield. Northgate station has the potential to be a future layout!

The town's other railway interests is of the Trent Valley Railway (TVR), a preserved line (not modelled on the layout) with it's main base in a fictional industrial estate near the existing Ratcliffe Power Station, where I imagine the town's old engine sheds were before BR closed them in the late 1980's and moved the allocation of locos to the nearby bigger Toton depot. The line runs from that shed site down to a real stately home called Clifton Hall (a place I'd never heard of before today) near the also real Clifton housing estate in Nottingham.

So that's the history & geography behind my N Gauge layout idea, what do you think?

Sam

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks, There should be a big progress update with more photos during sometime tomorrow on here as the layout gets pulled out of it's hiding place in our conservatory and laid on our dining table to be worked on & trains run once again by both myself and my Dad.

Sam

Yet more frustrations for both electrics and train running on my layout today, made worse by our very naughty family cat (Todd) who was attracted to the trains and even included knocking them off the track & ripping up some of the point work in the fiddle yard, so he is now barred from whenever I use the layout!

Because of the poor running qualities of the layout taken from last night's running session, both myself & my Dad have taken the decision that the layout's trackplan will be totally re-planned, turning it into a twin level design with the station on the lower level & engine shed on the upper level. This idea came from looking at a layout article in Hornby Magazine.

As I have a likeness for both steam & diesels, the layout will be able to be operated in two separate eras.

BR Steam (1950-1968)

Both late BR & Privatised Diesels (Mid 80's to present day)

In the latter era, the old steam shed will become the home of a railway preservation society like Didcot & Barrow Hill for example.

I have a little dilemma regarding the re-build of my layout - The original plan was for it to be built on two levels with the mainline & station on the lower level (This section of trackwork is being laid this week) & the engine shed above on the top level. Over the last day or two I have wondered if it would look better with the shed built all on one level behind the station or shall I keep to my original plans keeping the two scenes separate on the one layout?? My Dad did say that it would be easier to re-wire the layout if I kept to my original bi-level design as there will be no physical track connection between the two levels.

Whilst I am on here RIP to my club's secretary, excursion organiser & newsletter editor Mr Peter Crawley as I heard the terrible news of his death recently. He shall be truly missed by all the members of the Little Midland Society.

Archived