21ton Hoppers in South Wales

jjnewitt

Thanks for the info Enterprisingwestern. I've been paying more attention to the headcodes on diesels in pictures from that period taken in South Wales and found quite a number with T in and a few with F. Just to clarify things in my head the divisional letter in the headcode would relate to where the train was working to rather than from?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info Enterprisingwestern. I've been paying more attention to the headcodes on diesels in pictures from that period taken in South Wales and found quite a number with T in and a few with F. Just to clarify things in my head the divisional letter in the headcode would relate to where the train was working to rather than from?

If it was an inter district/division train then it would, in most cases. If it was a trip it would be the letter in use locally - e.g. our Cardiff Valleys trip turns in the early 1970s all carried 9Cxx codes. There were a few exceptions to the destination letter for some trains - we (and some other places) had 'go anywhere' Manned Conditional trains which didn't use destination letter codes and most ballast trains, including WTT 'go anywhere' ballast turns didn't use them either but ran as 'Z' although they were booked services.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

There was three locations in south wales which received 21 ton coal hoppers for unloading of domestic coal,they were Newport Dock Street,Swansea Eastern Depot (Gloda Distribution) and Abergorki NCB coal yard Mountain Ash.Outwards most collieries could handle 21 ton coal hoppers especially in the west as these were the ones that did domestic fuel for the London coal conc depots.

• 7 months later...

Enfield Chase CCD opened in the 60's and was unique in as much that the hoppers were unloaded in the yard and taken by British Rail to the merchants yard by road.The labels were always endorsed Enfield Chase for .... Yards included Lower Edmonton,Mill Hill East,High Barnet etc.These yards had been closed by BR but still reatined their stocking ground facilities.

Archived