Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

EM Gauge Stainmore

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I am the owner of Stainmore.

Welcome to RMweb! We weren't talking about you behind your back, just saying how good Stainmore is!

How about starting a 'Layout Topic' and telling us how you operate it with the bankers/pilots and lay-by sidings? The operation is fascinating.

Hi

No offence taken at all. Thanks to your interest I have signed up to RM web at long last. I have been meaning to join and set up a layout topic for ages with details of progress, a gallery, future exhibitions etc., when I can fathom how to do it I will give it a go.

Below is an extract form the exhibition notes, it should give you an operational idea of what should be happening. Hopefully it makes sense.

"At 1370 feet above sea level Stainmore Summit was the second highest point reached by a main line railway in England. It was located on the old North Eastern Railway’s line between Barnard Castle and Tebay and until its closure in 1962 was primarily used for transporting coke from the coke works in West Durham to the West Cumberland ironworks. The summit was reached by tortuous long gradients in either direction and must have represented one of the most difficult lines in the country to operate. Due to these gradients and to prevent breakaways (until closure the freight trains had no continuous brakes and relied on the locomotive’s brakes to stop the train. Therefore should a coupling break the rear half of the train could run away down the bank), it was necessary to bank freight trains to the summit, then put the rear locomotive on the front of the train, and pilot the train down the bank thus providing additional braking power. Of course this did not always happen, sometimes the banking locomotive returned light engine, sometimes it would run ahead of the shunted freight train to perform another banking duty. So the track layout you see is not simply sidings, it provides the means for shunting the trains to release the locomotives."

Fascinating stuff! I've never seen the layout but the youtube video is very interesting - banking was very commonplace in steam days and is hardly ever modelled. I'm guessing that, although it's technically possible with DCC, a fair bit of actual 'train driving' is involved to avoid the middle of the train going up in the air?

As another of Richard's gang, can I add that the layout isn't DCC. Banking is achieved by having locos which are more or less matched in performance. In the fiddle yard, as a train arrives with it's pilot, having just descended from the summit, the pilot is uncoupled and run forward to become the banker on the train in front. There is a mix of kit built and modified proprietary locos. We have the occasional rogue loco which doesn't suit multiple working, but there there's always a job for it.

Some roads have two rakes in and others have three. At times when running a train round and whilst shuffling up the fiddle yard, you can have 4 or 5 locos running off the same controller! Who needs DCC? All couplings are screw or three link which presents a challenge to some of us!

Thanks for the explanation.

No DCC and three link couplings - I gather it's possible to stop with enough slack to uncouple most of the time?

[Edit]: Or does the banker run uncoupled on the rear?

Do you have a list of forthcoming appearances as I've wanted to see Stainmore since it first appeared in MRJ?

• RMweb Premium

This is a great layout; I've seen it many times and yet I always linger! Lovely scenics and very evocative of an isolated location.

I saw the newly installed 12"/12" 'Stainmore Summit' ironwork just off the A66 the other week. Looks good, especially in the mist!!!!!!

Must go and walk around that area sometime in the spring/summer next year.

P@ 36E

DCC does have its advantages if you want to model banking operations because you can 'tune' each loco to run at exactly the same speed. Some of my fleet of Class 76s are so well matched that the 'banker' follows the train even though it is not coupled to the brakevan (just like the real thing!). Both banker and train engines are controlled from the same DCC keypad throttle by making up a double header - though in this case the locos are at opposite ends of the train.

Alan

Hi

To answer a couple of recent posts

The banker is coupled to the brake van. It is possible to 'squeeze up' (ease couplings) by isolating the leading locomotive and powering up the banker, however this should not be necessary if the banker is taking some of the load, i.e. the banker is pushing the train.

I tend to pair Bachmann locomotives with one of a similar type, on the premis that the performance should be similar. So you see Bachmann Ivatt 4s, Ivatt 2s and BR 4MTs working with each other. The kit built locos J21s, J25s, BR 2MTs, BR3MTs tend to go well together on the Down (westbound) side.

I avoided DCC because basically I am a techophobe, preferring technology that I understand and can fix when there is a problem. With around 30 locomotives in the pool I didnt fancy fitting all of those chips.

Future shows:

2012, Derby, Railex NE (Noth Shields) & Hull.

Richard

There certainly can be difficulties with exhibition layouts and DCC,

I agree with Richard on this one. My MPD exhibition layout would be slower on DCC as I run one loco after the other continously following the the exhibition "rule" of always keeping something moving.

If I had to keep re-programming the controller every time it would delay things and I probably would keep getting the numbers wrong! (Or perhaps I don't understand it?)

Once again may I say what a wonderful layout this is, hope to see it one day.

Jack

Hi Alan

No offence from me intended, I think your layout (and many others) runs superbly well on DCC.

What forced the decision to DC for me would have been the need to retrofit chips in kit built locomotives and the fact that Martin and Pete provide a decent proportion of the Stainmore loco fleet.

Once I had proven to myself that two performance matched locomotives can perform banking duties successfully (after one spectacular derailment during a trial running session) I decided to stick with DC.

Richard

• 7 months later...

Archived