Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The World's Tiniest V12 Engine

• RMweb Premium

Seriously impressive model engineering! Gotta share that with my model engineering colleague.

Now I understand how crankshafts are turned on a lathe!

Oh and it's interesting to learn the Spanish for the various engine parts.

Having had time to think about it, there are a few questions arising about the model V12 engine. I am guessing it is compression ignition as there was no mention or sign of sparkplugs, nor any wiring or distribution for them. And what method of injection was used, was it the tiny items on the front of the engine that looked like pumps? Then there is the question of air induction, the inlet manifolds seem to be connected to the fuel supply but I could not see any connection between the air filter system on top and the induction system?

It should be possible to make something of around that size that will run. The gentleman who built my Britannia in 3.5", Harry Boneham of Toronto, Ontario, built a V engine from the spare cylinders for his radial...some images are on the TSME web site,

http://www.tsme.ca/gallery/historical/the1990s/index1990s.html

(There are a few of his work on there). These are true spark ignition, petrol engines. There are also engines (in the 2000's set) built by Herb Jordan in the 1970's, or earlier. I know his debate about the 12 cylinder engine was that the wire used is PTFE insulated, rather than cotton covered. From my memory, the debate point was that the cotton covered ones were scale right, but the PTFE ones are required for practical insulation. Herb Jordan's 12 cylinder engine is 54 cc displacement. (4.x cc/cylinder).

The craftsmanship in making any V12 engine is quite complicated. But, I suspect that the engine shown is running on air, and does not run on spark or compression ignition.

James Powell

• RMweb Premium

absolutely amazing

when you think that if any of those components, even to make a 1-cyl engine, was slightly out, it'd be game over!

but to make and assemble that and it runs 'like a sewing machine' (as they used to say).

Archived