Wentloog (Freightliner) - traffic upturn ?

br2975

It appears that the proposed incinerator(s) planned for the Merthyr Tydfil area, and which would have been rail served through Cwmbargoed have been shelved.

It was rumoured that Freighliner Heavy Haul would provide haulage of the waste to and from a new siding at Black Lion or Pentrebach on the Cardiff-Merthyr line, with loading taking place at Wentloog.

However, as one door closes.......

DRS have apparently won a contract with Tesco which will see a DRS hauled train, of 28 flats loaded with 45' units booked to/from Wentloog six days a week, most likely to start in the new year.

In addition it appears FL have given thought to reintroducing a Felixstowe service, but running Felixstowe - Bristol - Wentloog - Felixstowe.

This would arrive Bristol around 8:00am and forward to Wentloog (Cardiff) with an arrival shortly after 10:00am, following the departure of the Southampton service.

Watch this space

Brian R

FL also added an 'as required' second daily train from Southampton this year, which would have been unthinkable a couple of years back when the Crewe working was dropped and loadings to Wentloog were pretty poor! Gauge enhancement has also allowed those to be formed of all low-deck wagons as well.

The Tesco news is particularly interesting though, I reckon Daventry-Cardiff is a little over 3 hours in a truck, which is the kind of distance where rail has been totally uneconomic for domestic traffic before now.

At the moment Bristol is only served from Felixstowe over the weekend (works out of Felixstowe on Saturday and back on Monday, using a set of wagons that would be sat parked over the weekend) - I suspect the limiting factor is paths out of Felixstowe though, I suspect it would be daily otherwise. The daily Bristol freightliner goes to either Tilbury or Thamesport depending on day of the week.

I'd seen that Tesco were going to introduce further intermodal services to South Wales and the South West, but had thought that the South Wales service might use part of the Llanwern complex, as their warehouse is next door. I wonder where the South Western terminal might be? It would be nice to see domestic intermodal returning to the levels of 30+ years ago, wouldn't it?

Not heard anything firm about the South West, but if Wentloog is viable then that must be similarly so.

There's a plan for a rail connected logistics park on the outskirts of Exeter but Sainsburys seem to have taken over the proposals for that, i'm not sure if the intermodal terminal is still on the cards since they signed up, but if so it would be a strategic location to serve Plymouth, Torbay and Cornwall Tesco stores as well as the ones in the local area. In rail terms the site is on the Waterloo line though which would either mean a rather intricate route via Westbury and Yeovil, or possibly being tripped in two parts up the grade from Riverside yard?

It would be nice to see domestic intermodal returning to the levels of 30+ years ago, wouldn't it?

Amen to that!

What do folks reckon would be the most likely routing to Wentloog from Daventry? Birmingham - Gloucester - Wentloog, Birmingham - Didcot - Wentloog or WCML to Willesden and then onto the GWML?

The Crewe - Wentloog still seems to run as and when on a Saturday, but only very rarely, last report I saw was a 70.

Things certainly seem to be picking up in the region Freightliner wise, with the additional Wentloogs and Bristol growing as mentioned already. The Bristol now conveys various other containers as well as the 'wineliner' traffic, including a megafret pair for "Bulktainers"

IMG0732-66303-4L32-L.jpg

66303 passes Thingley with 4L32 Bristol - Tilbury on hire to Freightliner 21/7/11

Which is a far cry from how it was in the early days

IMG6488-66569-4O24-L.jpg

66569 gets 4O24 Bristol - Grain away 45 mins late 7/10/10

jo

Don't think it can head towards Didcot from Daventry without a runround somewhere (at least, until they reopen Bicester-Bletchley when that might be viable route for it!)

If it goes towards Birmingham it's either got to pick it's way through New St (unlikely) or loop the loop via Bescot - Sutton Park - Washwood Heath which is a bit roundabout (but possible).

But my guess would be up the WCML to Nuneaton, then a left turn which lines you up to go straight through Birmingham via Washwood Heath, then Gloucester and Lydney....

Could also get to Didcot via Nuneaton, Washwood Heath and Solihull, or to Gloucester via Coventry, Aston, Smethwick Rolfe Street, Cradley Heath and Worcester. Or even go via Bescot, Shrewsbury and Hereford. The possibilities are a bit mind-boggling.

What do folks reckon would be the most likely routing to Wentloog from Daventry? Birmingham - Gloucester - Wentloog, Birmingham - Didcot - Wentloog or WCML to Willesden and then onto the GWML?

'My man' informs me that DRS have run a trial (locos only ?) and he was advised they would use 'Crewe men'

Brian R

Hi Guys,

During the summer, I did an Agency LGV driver Induction course for Tesco Magor. When discussing Inter-Depot Trunking, my instructor told me that trunking was all down to Stobarts. However He did tell me that Tesco's were in negotiations with Tata with regards to putting a railhead into Llanwern in the near future. Tesco plans to link all their RDC's to nearby railheads within 10 years.

The Rail Express website has a story on two new Tesco DRS trains, one to Thurrock the other direct to Magor. I havent been into Llanwern since the summer, so I am unable to say where in the steel works it might be. I will say this though, there is plenty of space available to put one in though.

Best wishes

Simon

Excuse chaps, where is the Wentloog freightliner terminal in Cardiff?

I tried looking on Google but could only spot a group of sidings at the end of Rover Way that looked as if they had once had tracks leading off into a factory complex.

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Gold

Gordon, You need to look further east.

Wentloog is east of the Rhymney river

Get yourself onto Bing maps, find the sidings at Rover Way and then switch to the Birds eye view.

Follow the sidings back up to the main line and then just follow it east (right!!).

You'll find the container terminal on the south side of the line at the end of Newlands Road.

Regards

Richard

Excuse chaps, where is the Wentloog freightliner terminal in Cardiff?

I tried looking on Google but could only spot a group of sidings at the end of Rover Way that looked as if they had once had tracks leading off into a factory complex.

Gordon A

Bristol

It's not in Cardiff, but about one third of the way from Cardiff to Newport- look at the bit of Google map you were looking at, then follow the main line towards Newport. The depot is on the south side of the main line. I remember there being sidings serving a pit-prop store there, back in the late 1960s.

Archived