Railway footage in feature films and television...

• RMweb Premium

If you have a Smart TV you can press the Red Button ('Encore' at top-right of screen) and access the channel's Catch-Up Player.

Loads of different content available i.e. films, documentaries, TV shows etc. (Who remembers 'The Flockton Flyer and Runaround? 😊).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a film on a week or two back on one of the film channels called "The Quiet Man" It stars John Wayne as a retired boxer going back to his roots in Ireland. (It's all filmed in Ireland)

It may have been mentioned before but there is some nice Irish steam train nostalgia:

https://railwaymoviedatabase.com/the-quiet-man/

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

if you like French Railways there is a 1946 movie, just appeared on Talking Pictures Encore called Bataille du Rail/Battle of the Rails (UK title) featuring French steam and electric throughout.

Link here but you may need to register (free) to view.

https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/Video/Battle-of-the-Rails?id=e8ae64a6-78a0-4f8c-b24a-4cbaa5511df9

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 1

I was watching Carry On Constable not so long ago and wondered if anyone knew the location of the bit where Constable Constable was trying to chat up Policewoman Passworthy and she walked up some steps to a footbridge and he carried on along the pavement and still talking to her? I am assuming there was a railway behind but couldn't see any clues, probably would be somewhere near the studios as well. I have to put in a long footbridge down to a road on my new TT120 layout and thought it would be nice to recreate this scene!

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I was watching Carry On Constable not so long ago and wondered if anyone knew the location of the bit where Constable Constable was trying to chat up Policewoman Passworthy and she walked up some steps to a footbridge and he carried on along the pavement and still talking to her? I am assuming there was a railway behind but couldn't see any clues, probably would be somewhere near the studios as well. I have to put in a long footbridge down to a road on my new TT120 layout and thought it would be nice to recreate this scene!

It might be South Ealing tube station.

• RMweb Premium

@Hobby

It's in West Ealing.

https://www.reelstreets.com/films/carry-on-constable/

EDIT: had a chance to read the page now. 

(Quote):

The scene where P.C. Charlie Constable (Kenneth Connor) and W.P.C. Gloria Passworthy (Joan Sims) walk along the road and JS goes up some steps as KC proclaims his love for her was filmed at the west end of Manor Road, opposite the corner store. The steps led up to a footbridge over the railway (known locally as Jacob’s Ladder). The nearest span to  Manor Road was removed to build a warehouse and there is now a footpath to the bridge. Sorry but I now live some distance away and don’t have a recent photo. This is a link to Google Maps –

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.513772,-0.325762,180m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

This episode of The Saint features an extensive chase/gunfight sequence shot on the ECML at Hitchin, with lots of lovely departmental stock on view.

Hitchin Civil Engineer's yard, south of Hitchin station.  My grandfather had an allotment overlooking it in the early '50s and I enjoyed going there to 'help' pick vegetables while watching the steam cranes in the yard and the occasional passing train. Later I used to spot off the bridge at the Down end.

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Started watching "Platform 7", a psychological thriller which opens with several scenes at Keighley Station, so far we have had a 20 on an engineering train, a 50 on a set of Mk3s and a pacer.

Jim

I remember it being filmed. What channel is it on please?

• 4 weeks later...

James May (ex Top Gear) has a nice gentle series on Amazon Prime - "Our Man In India".

What made episode 2 relevant to RMWeb is his trip on the "Maharaj Express".

Just after a tour of the biggest cricket bat and ball factory in the world.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B0CNL3ZJM4/

It's an Indian version of the Orient Express (Agatha Christie does get a mention)

I lost count of the number of coaches at 21.

• Like 1

Apologies if it has already been mentioned, and I know this is a high-art discussion, but the Black Lace video to 'Do The Conga' was filmed around Keighley on old buses and the railway in what appears to be in part a tribute to On The Buses. Here is a link. Enjoy the earworm.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

The 1954 film "Human Desire" starring Glenn Ford has plenty of US train action as Ford plays an Engineer on the fictional "Central National" railroad

The continuity isn't brilliand but a fair bit of period railroad action.

e.g. A Santa Fe Streamliner pulls into Albuquerque and Glenn Ford steps from the cab, of a completely different type of loco.☹️

https://obscuretrainmovies.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/human-desire-1954/

(Based on "La Bête humaine" by Emile Zola)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1