Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

HULL & BARNSLEY Rly Signalbox.

post-702-0-16665900-1334483553_thumb.jpgpost-702-0-39136000-1334483638_thumb.jpg

A post or two back, I reffered to Springbank North signal box. Attached a picture of how it looked in those far off days. The block instrument etc I mentioned is the one at the far end of the block shelf.

The later picture is how things were when I worked the same junction from Hessle Road. Not very exciting, and I much prefer the mechanical instalation. Of interest, by 1992, 143 points, were then the only ones still in use on what had once been the H&B Main Line. Best Wishes, Mick.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

The signal box, has now been finished for sometime. Attached view of it, in what hopefully oneday will be similar to its final enviroment. The bridge etc is no more than a photographic background, and obviously, is still under construction. Mick.

post-702-0-12433200-1340982927_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Genuine H&B signal but fitted with a "Three Position" motor worked UQ arm.

I did not know three position arms were put on H&B signals- by the LNER or BR? And where?

The plywood makes a very convincing chalk cutting. I wonder where Sallyfield Junction is in your imagination as there are not many chalk cuttings in Hull? :nono: I don't know why but I had assumed you would have been building a more urban layout but Little Weighton is a lovely area and the cuttings up to Drewton tunnel were quite something. For a special treat when I was very young we would take the train up to South Cave (usually from Paragon but sometimes from Springhead halt) and have a picnic beside the railway, usually at Weedley Springs, where I was fascinated by the smoke coming out of the tunnel "chimneys".

That's when I fell in love with G5s and WDs. A pity the "Tinies" had gone by that time.

BTW I love the horse shoe above the door - a perfect touch.

Ian

Lovely work mate as usual, it would be great to see a fish house as a back drop as now the Hull skyline has now changed completely. I remember when one pf the last burnt down, thw firebrigade the bricks were actually in fire due to the years and year of fish oil in them!!

Can you explain more about the H&B signal having three positions, it's not something I know much about. Looking forward to the photo backdrop coming along. Finished for Hull show ?

ATB Mick

post-702-0-57083100-1341052563_thumb.jpg

I did not know three position arms were put on H&B signals- by the LNER or BR? And where?

The plywood makes a very convincing chalk cutting. I wonder where Sallyfield Junction is in your imagination as there are not many chalk cuttings in Hull? :nono: I don't know why but I had assumed you would have been building a more urban layout but Little Weighton is a lovely area and the cuttings up to Drewton tunnel were quite something. For a special treat when I was very young we would take the train up to South Cave (usually from Paragon but sometimes from Springhead halt) and have a picnic beside the railway, usually at Weedley Springs, where I was fascinated by the smoke coming out of the tunnel "chimneys".

That's when I fell in love with G5s and WDs. A pity the "Tinies" had gone by that time.

Ian

"Sallyfield Jct" is very much west Hull and Hessle Road area, as you know, east of Drypool Bridge is "Foriegn Country".

The H&B had no "Three Position" signals, the model, though technicly correct, is pure imagination.

You ask about the chalk back ground, attached in all its glory, photo of my back yard photo bench. You will also note, gardening, is not one of my many pastimes. .

post-702-0-52641500-1341056268_thumb.jpg

Lovely work mate as usual, it would be great to see a fish house as a back drop as now the Hull skyline has now changed completely. I remember when one pf the last burnt down, thw firebrigade the bricks were actually in fire due to the years and year of fish oil in them!!

Can you explain more about the H&B signal having three positions, it's not something I know much about. Looking forward to the photo backdrop coming along. Finished for Hull show ?

ATB Mick

Do you mean something like the fish house seen in the background of the attached picture? I think it is also the one you mention. Mick.

I do mate, one day I plan to make one in 7mm, probably a few years down the line though. If its the same fish house is the photo taken on William wright Dock ? Strange how the road is lifted but the signal remains ? When it was quiet on nights ( which was rare ! ) I used to go up there and have five minutes looking out over the water. I'm sure I heard the odd ghost of an Austerity in the distance.....

ATB Mick

• When it was quiet on nights ( which was rare ! ) I used to go up there and have five minutes looking out over the water. I'm sure I heard the odd ghost of an Austerity in the distance.....

Yes, you probably did, the last resting place for many of them was only a few hundred yards further east along Hessle Road. Mick.

That diorama shows off the box well Mick and the bridge once again shows your prowess as a modeller. Incidentally, chalk and sandstone cliffs in the same area, that must be quite a geological rarity! ( Yes I know, weathered plywood and housebrick, that's not such an unusual combination!)

However, it has to be said Mick, your modelling skills far outweigh you gardeneing ones! Still it's nice to see you've got your priorities right.

ATB,

Dave

You will also note, gardening, is not one of my many pastimes. .

Nor mine, either, although I've moved a lot of soil for Mrs. Signalmaintainer.

What might be the purpose of that box on the pedestals in front of the signal mast, Mick?

Nor mine, either, although I've moved a lot of soil for Mrs. Signalmaintainer.

What might be the purpose of that box on the pedestals in front of the signal mast, Mick?

Dear Paul, I pressume you are ref to the picture of the two arm miniature signal, with the "Fish House" in the background. The "Wooden Box" on the concrete legs, is a "Location Box" and will contain either relays, batteries, or both. In later years they were made from pressed steel and are little different from the ones you have on your side of the pond. Best Wishes, Mick.

• Like 1

You ask about the chalk back ground, attached in all its glory, photo of my back yard photo bench. You will also note, gardening, is not one of my many pastimes. .

Your "chalk" is a brilliant piece of lateral thinking, although I doubt even the H&B had anything that impressive. :nono:

I used to do a lot of soil shifting for Mrs Clecklewyke but even she's lost interest so we use a most impressive lady to do it now. We call her "Brunhilde". Talk about "wild woman"...

post-702-0-96631300-1341231083_thumb.jpgpost-702-0-07076400-1341231113_thumb.jpgpost-702-0-92891700-1341231143_thumb.jpgpost-702-0-51705700-1341231166_thumb.jpg

Ian

Can't find a picture of a "Tiny" at Weedley, but attached a couple of views from the '30's. May even inspire a model or two. A perfect location for a "Watching the Trains go By Layout", a signal box, a farm crossing, plain line and a tunnel mouth at each end, Perfect. Mick.

• Like 4

post-702-0-47074900-1341255530_thumb.jpg

On the off chance, anyone, does fancy having a go at Weedley as a model, here is the signalling plan. The tunnels at either end would both make perfect natural breaks to the storage loops etc. An ideal "Watching the Trains" layout. Mick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have checked the original print, and indeed it does look odd. Appears to have two sunken panels in the cladding, but is lettered N E. Mick.

Could be wrong but that lettering looks more like GC to me!

ArthurK