Down on the Farm - Oxforddiecast

dinkyme

post-4835-0-03027700-1323260328_thumb.jpgpost-4835-0-74118500-1323260389_thumb.jpgJust start a new topic, not sure if I posted it in the right section. I have just taken delivery of a set of farm trailers and baler from Oxforddiecast in OO scale. Already have paint pot out. I think for the money every farm setting should have a set, over to you guys for your comments.

• RMweb Premium

There is an 80's tractor around. Matchbox produced a quite good model of the Mercedes MB-Trac in about 1983 and it was still produced up until about 2005. It is to a scale of 1/77 so it should go with the Oxford machinery. It only requires glazing to look the part. There is also the Massey-Ferguson 135 'key-ring' tractor from Universal Hobbies this is about 1/72 scale and can be found on e-bay, just go into diecast models and type in 'key-ring' in the search.

• RMweb Premium

The Corgi Zetor is about 1/60 and is far to large when placed alongside OO models and is also hard to find. Other agricultural items that are suitable are some Combine Harvesters made by Ertl in 1/80 scale during the 1980's, they can still be found at swap meets and sometimes on e-bay for about £5. There were two models, a John Deer in the 'house colours' of green/yellow and an IHC in red/white. Ertl also made '######' machines representing the same manufacturers in the same scale, they resemble forage harvesters. Matchbox also produced some agricultural machinery sold as sets with various of their tractor models including a potato planter (with the MB-Trac) and a chisel plough that came with a ghastly object with wizziwheels that was supposed to be a tractor.

EDIT I seem to have fallen foul of the American censoring, the '######' is 'cotton harvesting' although the description on the box rhymes with 'kicking'.

I do wish manufacturers wouldn't offer models in the wrong colour. The Fordson shown would only have appeared in blue with orange wheels in agricultural form. The Power Major, which is what it represents, was made from July 1958 to November 1960 and replaced the E1A New Major, very similar to look at but with different bonnet signage, built from December 1951 to August 1958. The overlap in production was to allow sufficient stocks of the new model to be built up. They were followed by the Super Major whose main visual difference was that the headlights moved to within the front grill and the New Performance Super Major when the colour scheme changed to a different shade of blue with light grey mudguards and wheel centres. The majors were one of the most successful tractors built by Fords and there are still many around today both in preservation and still earning a living in forestry and on small holdings.

Is the baler a generic sort of thing - it seems to have a touch of the International but not quite like anyone I can find, and some features that ae a bit like a modern Case?

I suspect you are right, that it's a "generic".

My first guess was International too - perhaps influenced by the colour. I couldn't find many Case pictures, but I think they would be successors to International, following amalgamation, so probably similar but more modern.

Nearest match I've found so far are the earlier New Holland models - eg http://www.stephenro...uk/DSCF3494.jpg

David

• RMweb Gold

I suspect you are right, that it's a "generic".

My first guess was International too - perhaps influenced by the colour. I couldn't find many Case pictures, but I think they would be successors to International, following amalgamation, so probably similar but more modern.

Nearest match I've found so far are the earlier New Holland models - eg http://www.stephenro...uk/DSCF3494.jpg

David

That's a far closer match than an International B 47 or the modern version of the Case (which does indeed look very much like 'son of International' in the pics that I found).

• RMweb Gold

I found this 1960s pic of a bailer on a Lowfit in case it's of use to anyone.

http://www.flickr.co...57626973003979/

No idea of the bailer manufacturer. Probably not a Lowfit either knowing me!

Looks very much like an International B 47 (partly because you can just make out 'B 47' on it ;) ), and it's on a Lowfit :D .

Looks very much like an International B 47 (partly because you can just make out 'B 47' on it ;) ), and it's on a Lowfit :D .

Makes a change that - me not posting cobblers. Thank you Mike ;)

Now - nobody will ever believe me if I model a bailer secured like that. "Unweathered rope? You plonker Rodney". :O

• RMweb Premium

I've been thinking about how to display these as 'working'. In the case of the hay baler a flat trailer will be required to collect the bales, I was thinking perhaps of converting one of the Oxford Scammell trailers or using the Airfix/Dapol Scarab kit. Has anyone a method of making realistic hay bales? If I can obtain some plumber's hemp I am going to experiment with it by finely chopping it up and then mixing it with (dilute?) PVA and pressing it into the correct shape and size.

• RMweb Gold

I've been thinking about how to display these as 'working'. In the case of the hay baler a flat trailer will be required to collect the bales, I was thinking perhaps of converting one of the Oxford Scammell trailers or using the Airfix/Dapol Scarab kit. Has anyone a method of making realistic hay bales? If I can obtain some plumber's hemp I am going to experiment with it by finely chopping it up and then mixing it with (dilute?) PVA and pressing it into the correct shape and size.

Phil, You might find it useful to look at some of the videos on this page? If you click where it says 'You Tube' yo will get the whole page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNVZmbBGhCY

Strewth that video is a health and safety nightmare! Just about everything wrong possible. Agriculture is now the most dangerous occupation in the country with the highest percentage of fatalities. There have been several people bale themselves up doing that, usually caused by the string from the broken bale getting wrapped round their leg and then caught on the pickup tines.....woops in you go!

Is there a standard size for a bale of hay?

Sort of ...

Firstly there are basically three types/sizes of bales -

"small bales", which are the type produced by the baler which is the subject of this discussion

"round bales", which are much larger, and cylindrical in shape, more recent

"big bales", which are similar in general shape to small bales, but much larger, roughly similar in size to "round bales", again more recent.

For the small bales, cross section is fairly standard - about 18" wide and 14" high as I recall

Length is adjustable, and is generally set to about double the width, to make stacking easier. However, from time to time the baler will malfunction and produce a bale significantly larger or smaller than the expected size.

David

Archived