Stranraer Harbour

colmflanagan

Hello

I am making a 4mm model based loosely on Stranraer Harbour as it was in the 1960's.

post-4092-0-90009000-1323272762_thumb.jpg

Can anyone shed any further light/even drawings on the linkspan construction shown in the photo? Or point me in the direction of anywhere i might get bits for it (e.g those pulley wheels?).

Here's the area taking shape in the left foreground. And in case anyone is wondering, yes I do plan to have a ship (though NOT the "Twickenham Ferry", berthed there in due course.

post-4092-0-25977000-1323272884_thumb.jpg

Colm Flanagan

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice layout and DMU, Colm. I did something similar a long time ago using three Mainline Mark Is and an MTK cab end (when you could buy them separately):

post-338-0-71269600-1325757701.jpg

I've got the seats to fit in the power cars but it's one of those jobs which never quite gets done. The layout in the photograph is Northern Maiden's excellent "Dunwoody Halt". Photo by A.Strathie.

PS: I enjoyed another read of "Diesel Dawn" during the New Year holidays.

• 8 months later...

And here's a pictureof another Stranraer Harbour layout, from my archives, it is an exhibition layout built by my friend Ian Sinclair back in 2004, shown at the 1st Bangor Model Railway Society's show in May that year. It had a short life, being overtaken by "Killagan",(see the Irish Railways forum). It was never really completed, and this was its only "outing" before being dismantled, track sold, and bits used elsewhere! A few items have turned up on my own Stranraer.

Unlike my own model it was a pretty accurate depiction of the place post 1984, using the actual track plan, with the four roads through the platforms, and using Peco Code 75 track. You can see a rake of Lima "Sealink" coaches in the siding, these were a striking dfeature of the line in the mid eighties, on the Irish side an NIR DEMU was repainted in this livery also.. Unlike the sixties there's lots of heavy vehicle traffic! It was a point to point layout and featured an "automatic" shuttle which allowed a 2 car Class 156 to re-create the "modern scene" as it trundled in and out..I have to say we found it a bit boring to operate and this may have hastened it's demise.

The Codar controllers were wonderful and contol smoothly every kind of loco we have including DCC chip fitted ones. Pity they're not made today.

post-4092-0-31496000-1347406256_thumb.jpg

An a picture of my latest acquisition at Stranraer (my one!). This is an old DJH kit of a Glasgow & South Western Manson Class "381" 4-6-0. I've always wanted one of these and got this one made for me . As far as I know these engines never made it to Stranraer as the turntable there was too short to turn them, but they did venture as far as Girvan before all being scrapped in the 1930's. But they were good engines and had lovely lines.

post-4092-0-83990000-1347406636_thumb.jpg

Colm - just spotted your thread. They are not close up pictures of the roll on roll off but they may be of interest. A newish picture and older picture.

Regards

Ray

Hi, yes, I have these, they're from one of the "Past and Present" series produced in the 1990s. Sadly, "Present" in 2012 means no ship at all in Stranraer since Stena moved to Cairnryan.

Colm.

Colm

Yes - now the ferries can get up to full speed straight away without the problems of capsizing small boats in Loch Ryan. And how about trains from Glasgow turn round at say at Girvan with motor coaches to Cain Ryan. That would reduce the journey time between Glasgow and Belfast even more.

Regards

Ray

PS I like your model.

Heard a rumour that there is talk of trying to get grant funding for freight hub using the railway possibly in Girvan? Is there any frieght still using the line South of Dalmellington Junction? I thought the Stanraer Metals sidings were closed. If they could generated some freight traffic South of Ayr maybe serving Cairnryan it would help take the artics off the coast road. One such artic came off the coast road the other night near Lendlefoot and was lying down the shore slope. Thankfully the driver was unharmed but that is exactly the kind of gods traffic that could assist in retaining the line South of Ayr.

Sorry meant to add

http://www.carrickto...beach-1-2520869

Regards,

Stewart

On a recent trip i spoke to some station staff at Ayr: apparenlty some efforts were made this summer to increase non ferry traffic to Stranraer and were quite successful. one porblem is that Stranraer is outside the Strathclyde region, hence a day return to Ayr -Glasgow costs 13.50 (off peak 10.00) and Stranraer - Glasgow cheapest is 26.90 which wouldnt encourage you much, even if the services weren't so oddly spaced.- now that the ferries have gone surely a more regular interval service would be better.

Colm

Guest Max Stafford

One of my pet 'things' is the idea of rebuilding the Port Road to relieve the A75 of HGV traffic, by operating a 'Rollbahn'-type service and utilising the old military port railway for direct transfer at Cairnryan. Perhaps in tandem with a freight hub for forestry traffic, this would go some way to alleviating problems in the area and boosting the railway.

One for the SG to consider!

Dave.

• 4 months later...

I thought these might be of interest, my Class 126 at "Barrhill" or somewhere like that on my home layout.  I took these the other night and felt that the place has a somewhat "remote" feel to it.  Though I have a feeling that the real Barrhill never had a TPO collection point.... It did see some pretty impressive trains with sleeping cars etc., though usually in the middle of the night!

post-4092-0-45528700-1359065850_thumb.jpg

post-4092-0-73165400-1359065829_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

hello all,

My ship has now come in at Stranraer - there are many more pictures on the thread "MV Caledonian Princess" on the skills and knowledge forum, as well as "Stranraer Coleraine and Donaghadee Railway" in the Irish railway group forum. Still some details etc., to add but it is basically complete.

If anybody knows how the linkspan was actually worked I'd love to know - i modelled the gubbins as best i could from photos(including the one i started this with) but still don;t understand exactly how it all operated!

Colm

post-4092-0-98759700-1385833510_thumb.jpg

post-4092-0-24322600-1385833425_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

I used this line extensively in the early eighties and took photos but not alas of the linkspan! Things were never going to change were they  :scratchhead:

I would get the London train (I think it was 10:30am) it was usually class 47 hauled and deserted. I remember once being hauled by a no heat class 40 (always air con mk2s).

No heating but what a rousing run up to Girvan. Fast compared with the struggling dmus. Shame to lose Stranraer line.

Archived