'Cement' weathering powder

Hi,

I am building a few 7mm presflo waggons, and finishing in bauxite. (One may end up grey)

I really want to distress the bauxite, and try to achieve the faded well worn look. I have seen people do this by over painting with white, then removing. I don't know if this will work due to the raised ribs?

I want to heap a lot of cement and cement staining without resorting to buying a bag of the real stuff.

Could anyone suggest a weathering powder that will look authentic?

Thanks, Rich

• RMweb Premium

When I did some, I used a suitable colour (just off white) artist's pastel purchased from an art shop. You can draw straight onto the model, rub it off if you are not happy and you can also crumble/file the pastel to create a thicker dust. I thought it would not adhere too well but I was very surprised when it stuck quite nicely to the paint. A spray of matt varnish would probably ensure that it stayed put but I haven't tried it.

This is how I would go about weathering a cement vehicle:

I'd do my usual "clean" weathering job first, so black wash, dusting the underframe with dirt etc. Basically weather it as if it had been running on the network a year without seeing any cement.

Then I'd dust the top of the wagon with white spray and give a dash around the sides and underframe.

The next thing I'd do is take a thickish white wash (70/30 paint/water and a tiny tiny tiny dash of washing up liquid to break the surface tension, but not so much you get a bubble bath) and use a sponge to apply it, starting on the top and drawing it down the side. If you think it's too heavy just take a clean bit of sponge and draw keep drawing it down and wiping it away til you're happy.

Next I'd give a quick dust of off white paint from the airbrush, this I find brings the seperate elements together. I would then bring out the powders, these are good in larger scales for giving a bit of texture. Apply it as you like on the model, generally where you dusted with the airbrush earlier. I would also dampen a brush and "cake" the power around any loading hatches and places lots of cement would gather, get wet, gather, get wet, and generally build up a bit. - I use Tamiya weathering powders, they do "pen" applicators as well as trays with brush applicators, best to buy a couple and experiment!

Finally I'd clean off any areas which would be cleaned off in reality.

Make sure you use pictures and weather it as per the prototype. Go step by step and often stop, go away and come back with fresh eyes; When you come back you'll often think differently than you did when you left. I call it "giving myself a second opinion"!

Most importantly make sure you're happy with it!

Kindest Regards,

Jack

Jack/Pugsley,

Thanks for the tips. I have just sprayed one waggon with JLTRT bauxite, and will add the transfers over the weekend. Once I have given a coat of matt varnish, I will experement, and try to post the results!!

Thanks, Rich

• RMweb Premium

Greenscenes do some subtle shades of "concrete" weathering powders - I use these dry on my usual ink/water wash for the dusty bits - but tend to add to wet white ink/water mix (or sometimes white watercolour paint mixed with a little water) to get the cement "granularity" around the fillers

I can always get rid of all of this with some Cif/Water and a soft toothbrush. Do try and get some good Colour photos as these vehicles have some quite distinctive weathering patterns Look at HMRS Pauls website for some examples

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpresflotunnel

Archived