Murco tanks

mp55aec

Hi, I work near the line in Carmarthen and often when I arrive at work at 6-7am the Murco tanks pass en route from Robeston, Ive recently seen some photographs of this train in magazines and some on various web photo pages, some seem to be located around the river Severn and Gloucester area, is there a rule like the channel tunnel about volatile substances using the Severn tunnel?, this seems the long way around to me , bit of a dog leg!

MP

Hi, I work near the line in Carmarthen and often when I arrive at work at 6-7am the Murco tanks pass en route from Robeston, Ive recently seen some photographs of this train in magazines and some on various web photo pages, some seem to be located around the river Severn and Gloucester area, is there a rule like the channel tunnel about volatile substances using the Severn tunnel?, this seems the long way around to me , bit of a dog leg!

MP

The reason for running via Gloucester for the workings to Westerleigh is that the train can run directly on to the remains of the old Midland route to Bristol, where the terminal is situated. If they worked via Stoke Gifford, they'd have to set back into the sidings, which isn't really desirable on a busy route. I believe the other workings from Milford Haven, towards the London area, run via the Severn tunnel.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

Train runs via Gloucester and Standish - avoids a reversal at Yate if coming from Severn tunnel direction to get down the Westerleigh branch which faces north. Suspect facilities at Yate wouldnt allow that move any way with a train of that size.

Robeston to Theale working does go through the tunnel - those better informed than yours truly way want to add commentary about regulations around such workings.

Kind regards

Phil Bullock

Is the Westerleigh fuel depot the one visable just off the M4 near Bristol?, does anyone have the evening times for this train?, would take a drive to a local small crossing to view just outside Carmarthen.

thanks

Is the Westerleigh fuel depot the one visable just off the M4 near Bristol?

thanks

Yes, thats it. Located on the site of the former Westerleigh Up Marshalling Yard, on the old Midland route.

cheers

Not Ferryside, perchance? I spent a lot of my childhood watching trains there..

I could go there (7 miles) or there is a crossing on a narrow lane just below the A40 3 miles west of Carmarthen in a village called Bancyfelin, only problem here is the train comes straight out of the bridge under the bypass,

• RMweb Gold

I could go there (7 miles) or there is a crossing on a narrow lane just below the A40 3 miles west of Carmarthen in a village called Bancyfelin, only problem here is the train comes straight out of the bridge under the bypass,

Hospital Crossing perchance? Got a pic of a DMU there once upon the mists of time.

IIRC, the regulations about trains in the tunnel since the collision a few years ago are:

Only 1 train per direction in the tunnel at any one time.

Any train carrying volatile cargo must be in the tunnel alone, ie nothing coming the other way either.

I'm sure someone will know if this is not the case anymore.

Hi there

Train runs via Gloucester and Standish - avoids a reversal at Yate if coming from Severn tunnel direction to get down the Westerleigh branch which faces north. Suspect facilities at Yate wouldnt allow that move any way with a train of that size.

Kind regards

Phil Bullock

There have been a few occasions, due to engineering blockades, that the train has run through Severn Tunnel.

The reversal at Yate was carried out by providing an additional loco to tail the train,which also required a shunter.

This was, as Phil says, beacause the inwards/outwards loop at Yate was shorter than the booked length of the Murco tanks.

Back in the 1970/80s I think the maximum length of the Tytherington stone trains was 2 X 37, and 36 PGAs,

the loop was sometimes used to cross trains in those days.

cheers

Hospital Crossing perchance? Got a pic of a DMU there once upon the mists of time.

Sarnau Crossing, the old GWR signal box that used to be there is in Scolton Manor museum, Pembrokeshire now-http://www.bancyfelin.co.uk/singalbox.html

• RMweb Gold

IIRC, the regulations about trains in the tunnel since the collision a few years ago are:

Only 1 train per direction in the tunnel at any one time.

Any train carrying volatile cargo must be in the tunnel alone, ie nothing coming the other way either.

I'm sure someone will know if this is not the case anymore.

The Dangerous Goods Regulations also applied prior to the collision (which involved two passenger trains) although I can't remember off hand when they were altered to that level. There are no other restrictions on the number of trains in the Tunnel apart from that imposed by the signalling capacity - which is one at a time in each direction since the intermediate signals were removed due to continuing track circuit problems (the second time that had happened as the 1942 I.B. signals were removed for exactly the same reason).

Archived