Minimum Space O Gauge layout

Warspite

In my last post, I mentioned that the layout has now been dismantled pending some building work on the house. So, for the time being, some final pictures I took just before taking it down, starting with a Lionheart mineral wagon I don't think I've uploaded here before.

post-1610-0-44453700-1444059344_thumb.jpg

Lionheart 16T mineral wagon with lighter (more subtle) weathering than I normally adopt!

post-1610-0-38260600-1444059311_thumb.jpg

The Presflo and a Slaters Vanwide I finished not long ago. The roof still needs weathering.

post-1610-0-18079100-1444059319_thumb.jpg

Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST ‘Jemima’ (Ixion) with a 26T iron ore wagon.

post-1610-0-46567600-1444059328_thumb.jpg

The Old Warehouse and its later extension (complete with loose sheeting), taken from the crossing.

post-1610-0-02574900-1444059336_thumb.jpg

A final look at the muddy culvert.

It will be a few months before I can start building the next layout but I have a few ideas which I am beginning to develop. Meanwhile, I hope to find somewhere to reassemble the current layout even if I just keep the scenic part as an operational diorama. It’s a bit sad I still haven’t got round to giving the layout a name, ‘The Old Sidings’ is the best I have come up with! It has been great fun to get this far with it and I have learnt a lot building my first 'proper' layout after many years of false starts.

Stephen   

• RMweb Gold

Lovely to see your layout once more Stephen.

I love the Ixion MW and iron ore tippler.

Sadly Ixion won't do a further run of these in brass.  I wonder if they'll do a plastic bodyshell instead.  As you may remember I scratchbuilt one in OO scale on a Hornby L&Y Pug chassis for Juniper Hill.

Hope to see it all up and running again soon after your building work.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen, is the first photo a model? I am not sure, that is incredible modelling if it is!

Well done Sir, that is truly stunning....

Good luck with the building work, I look forward to seeing your next creation.

Thanks for this, I really appreciate the comments.

The detail on those wonderful Lionheart mineral wagons really helps the illusion. I just enjoy adding the setting and getting the textures right.

Thanks again.

Stephen

Lovely to see your layout once more Stephen.

I love the Ixion MW and iron ore tippler.

Sadly Ixion won't do a further run of these in brass.  I wonder if they'll do a plastic bodyshell instead.  As you may remember I scratchbuilt one in OO scale on a Hornby L&Y Pug chassis for Juniper Hill.

Hope to see it all up and running again soon after your building work.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark

I certainly remember the scratchbuilt one in OO you did for your superb Juniper Hill layout.

The Manning Wardle is still my favourite and although it's not the same type as the one at Irchester (although very close!), I would love to recreate those beautiful photos of Irchester with No.14 and its rake of iron ore tipplers.

I assume you saw this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89861-re-run-of-the-ixion-manning-wardle-0-4-0st/   that Chris Klein started in my thread about the MW? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89686-ixion-manning-wardle-0-4-0st/

I know not much has been posted on Chris's thread for some time but there was certainly some interest in a rerun. One can only hope!

Stephen

Hello Stephen those modeling photos have the same beautiful authentic touch of old, but how could you dismantle it.  Stored safely I hope?

Thanks Barnaby.

Unfortunately, I had no choice but to dismantle the layout as it would have ended up as builders' rubble! However, it is safely stored and the buildings all individually packed ..... well away from the builders!

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark

I certainly remember the scratchbuilt one in OO you did for your superb Juniper Hill layout.

The Manning Wardle is still my favourite and although it's not the same type as the one at Irchester (although very close!), I would love to recreate those beautiful photos of Irchester with No.14 and its rake of iron ore tipplers.

I assume you saw this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89861-re-run-of-the-ixion-manning-wardle-0-4-0st/   that Chris Klein started in my thread about the MW? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89686-ixion-manning-wardle-0-4-0st/

I know not much has been posted on Chris's thread for some time but there was certainly some interest in a rerun. One can only hope!

Stephen

Hi Stephen thanks for your kind words about JH.

The Manning Wardle was a nice build and certainly added to the charm of the layout with as you say shades of Irchester.

I had seen the thread Chris started on producing another batch of Manning Wardle's and expressed my interest. I've since heard there wasn't enough interest expressed so another run is unlikely. 

It would be good to see a plastic bodied version in the future!

Hope your layout can be resurrected and if there's any chance of more photos before the work commences then I'd love to see them. 

To me this is one of my favourite layouts on here which is well modelled has so much atmosphere in a small space.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about the lack of a layout could you keep the thread going with updates on your kit building, weathering and structure building?  ;)

• 2 months later...

Not caught up with this thread for quite a while (I have been guilty of absence without leave, of course!)
But just looking at those last pics from October, and wow - they're fab

Don't let this end up being trashed by builders, or indeed put it in a skip yourself :O
you'd be lynched! lol

• 11 months later...

Just had a read through this thread as I have just bought myself a Dapol 08 and needed some inspiration for building a small layout around 9ft long, well you certainly have given me that!

Some great modelling going on here, the wagons are excellent and the scenics are really good too.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a read through this thread as I have just bought myself a Dapol 08 and needed some inspiration for building a small layout around 9ft long, well you certainly have given me that!

Some great modelling going on here, the wagons are excellent and the scenics are really good too.

Simon

Thanks Simon.

There are a number of excellent 'minimum space' O gauge layouts on here and these gave me the inspiration to do what I did.

The Dapol 08 looks very nice and is ideal for a BR period shunting layout. Look forward to seeing progress on your layout.

Stephen

P.S. That's a nice CN loco in your profile image!

Archived